Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

johnaustin100

Hello,

I am using Pod HD500x..............and I am being questioned by many guitarists who have very low-end effects processors like zoom G 1.1...............and the question they are asking me is "do you have drum beats or metronome in you processor??" .....................

And now my question is almost the same .............is there any way to add drum beats or metronomes to my processor using some other pedals or any midi devices??

well it depends on what you want them for. If you just want them for practice then you can add a Zoom G1 for about 50 bucks and get 60+ rhythms to work with. You could put that in the FX loop or just run it into the CD/MP3 input to play along with.  There is also a cool new pedal coming out called a BeatBuddy that looks promising for $300+.  You could put that in line between your POD and your amp.

I like to use EZDrummer2 on my computer.  Much wider variety of beats and far better quality and can run as a standalone without loading your DAW..  I can just plug my laptop audio into the CD/MP3 input on the POD for a simple setup but it is not as easy to control as a pedal.  I also use an online metronome the same way.

If you have the skills you can program your POD to control your beats through a DAW like Ableton using midi and even use it for performance.  Google it for more info...

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/G1on

http://mybeatbuddy.com/

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EZdrum2

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...

Have you (or the guitarists who are asking about this) considered using phone apps that will do metronomes, drum beats, and/or backing tracks? You can always plug one of those 1/8" - 1/8" cables from the phone headphone jack into the CD/MP3 In on the HD500.

• Like 1

Like The real Zap i also use a Boss RC-30 . its great for adding a simple 4/4 or 3/4 drum beat its around 300$ ive found a clone of it called NuX loopcore. i like the drum beats better in the loopcore it has twice as many drum beat  options compared to the Boss RC30.the nux loopcore is about $90 ,the only problem i have with the loopcore is it does not have stereo instrument inputs. i wish it was a TRS jack but its not.

+if you wait a lil bit you can buy a (beatbuddy) . its great for adding drums to a guitar practice session. however im waiting on the new(Digitech Trio band creater). the trio adds drums and a bass line to your chord progression , it actually learns your song and plays with you .

if your wanting your guitar to be a drum set (Drumatar) then Roland GR-55 is the way to go , warning this GR55Synth is so much fun you might not leave your

music room ever.

I just found out that The Nux Loopcore($90) does in fact have a Stereo input i was wrong. 

Edited by CrispyFunk

I have an RC300. But the drum patterns are very limited. Hard to get the kick to be where you want it to be.

+1 on the Trio. I'm planning to get one asap.

I had a GR55 for awhile, and though I loved the sounds, I couldn't gel with the interface, and got rid of it. I've toyed with getting another one, but doggone... that interface, for me, sucked. Couldn't figure out anything with it as far as setting up scenes and moving patches... not intuitive for me at all!  But it had some GREAT sounds.

• Upvote 1

• 8 months later...

Hey. If you got a POD HD500X, i have found it to work well with the beat buddy drum machine. Using the midi sync cable to sync the beatbuddy's tempo to your Pod makes looping easy. But the tricky bit is recording the guitar and the drums together.

This is what i used "5 Pin DIN Female"plus a Roland UM-ONE MK2 USB MIDI Interface.

And setting it all up is easy, and easy to get the midi drumbeats to work too ;)

First off, the folks that are asking you this question apparently don't understand the difference between their effects processors and a modeler.  Your POD HD is a production level piece of equipment meant for use in a studio recording environment or stage application.  Although it could be used as an effects processor, it's designed to be much more than that.  No one in their right mind would suggest a Zoom G1 is anything like that.  It's really a pure pure practice rig.

As far as drum beats I think you have some pretty good suggestions here, but it depends on what you need it for.  If it's just for personal practice to help you with timing you can use any metronome app on your phone through the MP3 input.  If you just want a drummer to practice with then loop or plug in a drum machine.  If you want to record your best bet will be a virtual drummer plug-in like an EZDrummer2 so you can develop the specific drum line you want with accents, builds, finishes, etc. where they need to be and they can exists independently on their own track.

• Upvote 1