Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

G90 dropout again

d93swo

Hi, I have G90 for a month. And I encounter a serious problem tonight. It was a 3000 people arena. I used RF1 because there were more dropout on RF2 when sound check. When the show started, I saw the RF led was sparkling and the sounds was not continuous. I didn't leave my site. It's less than 2 meters between the receiver and TBP12. Still dropouts often. The worst situation was when the vocal come to me with his IEM and wireless microphone.

I really like sound of G90. It's perfect to be with POD 500x. However the dropout problem is too big. Could you help me to solve this? I really wish I could use G90 in the future tour and concert.

Best regards,

Kay Liu

Did you try switching to different channels? Are you certain that you have selected the proper antenna pair in the G90 because you must switch to match either front or rear operation. If that's not correct you essentially don't have antennas.

How close is your IEM transmitter's antennas to your G90s antennas?

You didn't answer my question about checking the antenna jack assignments. Can you please check?

Scanning only functions when you operate in RF2 mode and for most people RF1 mode works better. If you run in RF2 mode you must be in control of all wi-fi in the venue both installed system and any portable systems that others might bring into the venue. If you cannot guarantee this then you could run into trouble easily.

Is your transmitter mounted on your guitar strap?

If the problem only happened in one location it is most likely been caused by local interference in the venue. In RF1 mode you scan by turning off the transmitter and then step through the channels on the receiver for about 20 seconds on each one. You will most likely see some red LEDs on all channels but if you are having sever interference issues then selecting a channel that has the fewest red LEDs will likely work the best. The presence of red LEDS doesn't mean that channel won't work but it means you will have some reduction in range.

I don't understand you message about having "both locked". There should be only one selection. A feature of the G90 is that you can use 2pr of antennas at the same time (and then set the switch to both). Just checking, but your antennas are not inside a rack are they?

When you hear dropouts do you lose all the green LEDS? Do red ones come on then?

Also, I didn't answer your question about being defective. Yes, that is always possible an the only way to check that would be to send it in to our service center. But from your description I don't think that is the most likely possibility.

If you are still seeing any green LEDs then the radio is not dropping out.

So if the sound is cutting out then there is either an issue with the input to the transmitter or so thing else in the chain is cutting out. Possible the input cable has been damaged. I would try swapping that first.

You also never clarified what the antenna setting is: Use the Setup button to access the ANT IN menu and select the inputs your antennas are connected to. 

If they are on the front it should be C&D, if they are on the back it should be A&B. Do not select BOTH unless you have 4 antennas connected. Also make sure you use the supplied 50 ohm terminators on the unused antenna inputs.

• 2 weeks later...

You also never clarified what the antenna setting is: Use the Setup button to access the ANT IN menu and select the inputs your antennas are connected to. 

If they are on the front it should be C&D, if they are on the back it should be A&B. Do not select BOTH unless you have 4 antennas connected. Also make sure you use the supplied 50 ohm terminators on the unused antenna inputs.

I have been experiencing dropout for quite some time. As a point of clarity... I thought I recalled reading in the manual that the 50ohm terminators were supposed to go on the Antenna Out's on the back if using the front antenna locations? So, should I switch them on the back or is that a distinction without a difference?

Thanks!

I have been experiencing dropout for quite some time. As a point of clarity... I thought I recalled reading in the manual that the 50ohm terminators were supposed to go on the Antenna Out's on the back if using the front antenna locations? So, should I switch them on the back or is that a distinction without a difference?

Thanks!

Correct ... terminators belong on the antenna outputs.

Well, time to send it in then as I've done or followed all the other suggestions I've seen online.

I am using older firmware but I do not have a way to update it that I am aware of as the G90 is the only piece of Line6 gear that I own.

Sadly, I do not believe there is an authorized service center near me (North Carolina USA) as the one that used to be is no longer...

• 6 years later...
On 9/7/2014 at 12:43 PM, dboomer said:

You didn't answer my question about checking the antenna jack assignments. Can you please check?

Scanning only functions when you operate in RF2 mode and for most people RF1 mode works better. If you run in RF2 mode you must be in control of all wi-fi in the venue both installed system and any portable systems that others might bring into the venue. If you cannot guarantee this then you could run into trouble easily.

Is your transmitter mounted on your guitar strap?

dboomer,

I know this is an incredibly old post, but I am having numerous dropouts with my G90 setup.  I am using the C/D antenna positions, I have the terminators in place, and I have it mounted in a wooden rack.  When I drop signal I lose all green LED's, and get all red LED's on the tight most meter.  I also do have my pack hanging from my guitar strap.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.