Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pedals not working with Spider III ?

DanVoss911

How are you hooking them up, what are they?

Should be guitar > pedals > amp.   Note that some tones already have selective EQ on them (distortion patches, for example), so you may find that a Wah pedal does little to change the tone when the distortion is on.

I have an old Spider II (been a while since I dusted it off so it may be a III) and it never like pedals going into the front. It would accept some mild modulations but not ODs/Dist very well. Probably because I never read this L6 info:

Q: Can I use an external effects pedal or processor with a Spider series amplifier?
A: Effects pedals will almost always work well in front of the Spider series amplifiers. Just be certain that the output level of the external effect is not set too high as it could overload the input of the Spider. Most rack-mount processors are designed for line level use and often don't sound quite right when connected to the front of an amplifier.

Start out with the levels really low and gradually increase them. IMO the SIIIs sound real good and really don't need much if any added pedals. Shame they don't have an FX loop.

For more Spider info: http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/amplifiers/spider-ivspider-online/spider-i-ii-iii-iv-programming-and-applicati-r481

Hope you get it sorted!

Bill

How are you hooking them up, what are they?

Should be guitar > pedals > amp.   Note that some tones already have selective EQ on them (distortion patches, for example), so you may find that a Wah pedal does little to change the tone when the distortion is on.

I know how to connect a guitar pedals

I have an old Spider II (been a while since I dusted it off so it may be a III) and it never like pedals going into the front. It would accept some mild modulations but not ODs/Dist very well. Probably because I never read this L6 info:

Q: Can I use an external effects pedal or processor with a Spider series amplifier?

A: Effects pedals will almost always work well in front of the Spider series amplifiers. Just be certain that the output level of the external effect is high as it could overload the input of the Spider. Most rack-mount processors are designed for line level use and often don't sound quite right when connected to the front of an amplifier.

Start out with the levels really low and gradually increase them. IMO the SIIIs sound real good an

For more Spider info: http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/amplifiers/spider-ivspider-on

A: Effects pedals will almost always work well in front of the Spider series amplifiers. Just be certain that the output level of the external effect is not set too high as it could overload the input of the Spider. Most rack-mount processors are designed for line level use and often don't sound quite right when connected to the front of an amplifier.

Start out with the levels really low and gradually increase them. IMO the SIIIs sound real good and really don't need much if any added pedals. Shame they don't have an FX loop.

For more Spider info: http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/amplifiers/spider-ivspider-online/spider-i-ii-iii-iv-programming-and-applicati-r481

Hope you get it sorted!

Bill

I have tried this method before but it doesn't seemed to work?

Hey there,

I know, I've tried myself with not much luck but it was just a small practice model not the big boy you've got so I just dropped the idea and moved on.

Threw the info up there in hopes that you had more success than I did.

BTW what pedals are you trying to use up front?

-B

Edit: found a thread where some dudes were going over the use of FX up front - might point you in the right direction:)

http://line6.com/supportarchive/thread/17672

Hey there,

I know, I've tried myself with not much luck but it was just a small practice model not the big boy you've got so I just dropped the idea and moved on.

Threw the info up there in hopes that you had more success than I did.

BTW what pedals are you trying to use up front?

-B

Edit: found a thread where some dudes were going over the use of FX up front - might point you in the right direction:)

http://line6.com/supportarchive/thread/17672

I've tried using a  EM-600 echo machine. MXR Distortion III and a Dunlop Crybaby Wah pedal

Hey, I was just busting chops with my first post...  Anyways, I don't think you will get much luck with the echo box into the front of the Spider, just the nature of the digital beast.  As noted above, those effects should be after the amp model but without an FX loop you can't do that here. 

The Wah should be no issue first in line into the amp and the distortion will probably work best into the lower gain amp models without other FX in the pre section.  May not play well with the higher gain models or if there are other FX to compete with.

The internal delays were pretty nice on my older Spider.  Not what you wanted to hear but probably as good as it will get with this rig.

I know how to connect a guitar pedals

Sorry, trying to help, and you didn't give ANY info in your original post.  When you say 'pedals don't work with the amp', then the first conclusion would be there is something wrong with the hookups.  If, on the other hand, you meant that 'the effects don't sound like they should' that's a whole different thing.

Hope you have it all sorted out now.