Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD500 w/JTV: Matching Levels between Acoustic and Electric Models

cocoa7

I am looking for suggestions/solutions for how users are getting the levels between Acoustic and Electric Models (or just the Variax Mags) evened out when using the Variax with the HD500.

Generally, when creating sounds using the Mags or one of the JTV's electric models, I am building presets with one or two amps in the signal chain.  By contrast, if I just want a straight, dry sound for one of the JTV's acoustic (or resonator) models, I create the sounds without activating an amp model.  I assume this is the appropriate thing to do because the HD500's amp models are designed for electric guitars.

The problem, however, is that the levels vary widely depending on the presence or absence of a pre-amp gain stage in the mix.  So, presets using Mags (or one of the electric guitar models) are much louder than those using acoustic guitar or resonator models.

I can go in and reduce the output of each preset that uses an amp, and I wonder if that's the proper solution.  Or are other experienced users activating one of the amp models along with acoustic/resonator models?  If so, which amp model(s) do users find most beneficial; i.e., which amp model(s) add(s) the least amount of distortion to the acoustic signal?

Thank you for your responses!

I find that the dynamic range of a typical acoustic sound is much wider than that of a typical electric sound. So sometimes it's both too quiet and too loud... That said, I personally don't use amp models on acoustic sounds unless it's for a special effect.

One thing I do sometimes is to put a compressor effect early in the chain. I'll set the Threshold quite high (so that it doesn't compress anything but the very loudest peaks), and adjust the Output to match levels with other sounds.