Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

AMP FOR PODHD

aerosol_d7

Hello, Everybody

What option of amp do I have if I want to plug in stereo power amp / fx return (2 entries, Left and Right), less than 800 bucks, solidstate/tube and 2 speakers?

I know Fender Mustang IV has all this, any other?

If you own one, what is your opinion?

Thanks

If you're using the amp sims, going into a regular guitar amp is a bad idea - trust me, you will struggle to get good sounds. I would get some powered pa speakers. I use yamaha DSX 10s and they sound perfect. A little more than 800 for the pair, but you could buy one and then if you want two, save up.

What option of amp do I have if I want to plug in stereo power amp / fx return (2 entries, Left and Right), less than 800 bucks, solidstate/tube and 2 speakers?

I was looking for the same thing.  I have a DT25 head and cabs and a power amp/PA speakers but wanted a single combo form factor stereo amp to make for an easy take out rig.  I also didn't want to spend a small fortune for a pair of L series speakers or carry a pair of monitors.  After a ton of research and looking I was very surprised where I ended up.  I found a nice solid state 120 watt (60X2) stereo 2X12 amp with 2 channel analog amp modeling, digital effects, FX loop, multiple ins and outs for MP3/backing tracks, foot switch included, all for under $300 delivered.  Its very solid, kinda heavy, huge heat sink and transformer and has decent reviews.

Surprise, surprise... its a Behringer GMX212.  I've been playing with it this week and so far it has exceeded expectations.  I like the amp as a straight up unit on its own; the tones are surprisingly good and the effects are "OK".  It would work as a backup.  However, plugging the HD into the slave inputs disconnects the internal amp and effects and goes straight to the power amp.  This is very usable.  I was surprised to actually hear some details that were not coming through with my PA speakers and will have to do some tweaking but this works.  Its an open back cab and my others with the DT are closed back so it offers another option for me there too.  You can also connect multiple units together using the line outs and the slave in so its totally scalable.  All this for just under $300...  More than I expected and a pleasant surprise.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GMX212

PS - midi controllable from the POD too in a 4CM setup.  Fender Champion is another option in same price range but does not have all the features.  I was hoping the Blackstar ID260TVP would work but it is like a Spider, no connectivity for the POD and its $600...

• Upvote 1

I second the Solid State Amps as a budget option . These even from established brand names are affordable but don't underestimate some generic brands often sold for as little as a $1 per watt used. 

It really upgrades the Amp connecting the HDs and there are no bones even using the full amp models.

If budget permits a couple of powered speakers would be grand but till then I got a stereo gig rig not too heavy to lug. 

I also got a couple of the Roland 20 watt Cube amps and can go in the aux in on those for monitoring on stage.

You know what though. I usually only take one and also go in via the PA for Beer Garden gigs. There not overly loud.

Thank you both

Billorentzen Ive been playing through PA speakers or headphones, never with a real amp, it seems weird to me having only this setup and the patches for it.

One day I will surely need to plug to a real amp, but not having one, it will take me minutes or hours to re-tweak my patches.

I dont think people will be happy waiting me to finish my tweaking during rehearsals. Anyway first time I see these speakers, maybe I should upgrade mine also. :)

radatats

Your reply is really helpful, thanks, it suits my case, now, Im wondering how often do you use the mix of your amps modeling ;or just effects; with the ones in Hd pod, (assuming it has amp modeling, sorry, I havent read its manuals)

bjnette

thanks but

Im looking for new ones, had bad experience buying used gear.

I bought a second hand boss pedal, since it was my first time with the pedal and Im not sure if it is ok or if it was modified by previous user or faulting.

it seems different from the original on youtube

has anyone tested peavey or crate? or maybe those cheap tube combos?

However, plugging the HD into the slave inputs disconnects the internal amp and effects and goes straight to the power amp.  This is very usable.  I was surprised to actually hear some details that were not coming through with my PA speakers and will have to do some tweaking but this works.  Its an open back cab and my others with the DT are closed back so it offers another option for me there too.  You can also connect multiple units together using the line outs and the slave in so its totally scalable.  All this for just under $300...  More than I expected and a pleasant surprise.

radatats,

can you do what I call 5 cable method (1 more for stereo output) ? you have slave in (left and right) but it disconnects and only one fx return entry.

Hey there!

While I'm still in the Honeymoon stage with the HD - I've used peavey combos via the FX return. Old Bandit 65, Studio Pro 40s - with the XTs, XTL, X3 and an X3L all of which sounded real good (IMO - love the Black Widow speakers). For Crate I was using an old 600XL head for a 4x12 with V30s - real nice vibe.

I like solid state stuff with modelers - the cleaner the better (and they weigh less). For the old Pod Pro and XTPro I use a Rocktron Velocity 120 <- really nice power amp 2x60w into a 2x12 or 1x12 cab.

Tube power amps - for the record are pretty sweet and can really spice up the tones. I've used a Peavey Classic 50/50 (IIRC) and it was awesome. It gave it a vibe - tough to explain just had a bit more sweetness to it when really cranked.

There is another thread here regarding Tech 21 Power Engine 60s which is what I've been wanting for a while now myself. So you might want to check it out.

Used stuff worries - if you can try first or stick to returnable stores I wouldn't sweat it too much.

• Upvote 2

radatats,

can you do what I call 5 cable method (1 more for stereo output) ? you have slave in (left and right) but it disconnects and only one fx return entry.

Yes you can.  the Aux in is stereo (TRS) or you can go into the Tape In jacks, you don't have to use the Slave inputs.  I am still playing with it so haven't explored all options yet.  Set up properly you should be able to go 5CM with midi and with different patches in the POD either go all POD into the power section or use the GMX internal amp/FX with midi control in combination with the POD.  And still run backing tracks, drum tracks etc. for practicing, jamming, whatever.  And this thing is loud...

Yes you can.  the Aux in is stereo (TRS) or you can go into the Tape In jacks, you don't have to use the Slave inputs.  I am still playing with it so haven't explored all options yet.  Set up properly you should be able to go 5CM with midi and with different patches in the POD either go all POD into the power section or use the GMX internal amp/FX with midi control in combination with the POD.  And still run backing tracks, drum tracks etc. for practicing, jamming, whatever.  And this thing is loud...

+ Jenson speakers if I remember :) Edit -> the used one I checked out loooong back might have had them switched but they were nice.

Thanks for bringing this amp back up Radatats!

-Bill

bjnette

thanks but

Im looking for new ones, had bad experience buying used gear.

I bought a second hand boss pedal, since it was my first time with the pedal and Im not sure if it is ok or if it was modified by previous user or faulting.

it seems different from the original on youtube

has anyone tested peavey or crate? or maybe those cheap tube combos?

I totally understand about buying used on ebay. I have a policy of only buying new items on ebay but occasionally cannot resist a bargain  especially if pickup feasible and actually insist on tring whatever before paying. About 25% of used on ebay is faulty from my experience but locally from Auction houses, even pawn shops. etc. Try out first. Be prepared to get addicted to Auctions, some have some irresistible items come thru from time to time

I have an Atomic Reactor, a tube 2x12 power amp only combo designed for modelers, and while it does impart some tubeyness, I prefer solid state powered monitors. It helped on the original Pod, but the HD doesn't need it.

which solid state powered monitor is worth checking?

which solid state powered monitor is worth checking?

I really like my Yamaha DSX 10 speakers. They also make an 8" and a 12" model. I also use them for a PA for my small band gigs and use their 12" sub too.

If I'm playing with a full band I use them for my guitar, and I am 100% satisfied with their performance, size, reliability, power, etc. they have settings for use as floor monitors, and other nifty EQ options to boost or cut lows.

• Upvote 1

I just saw a Randall 75watt 1x12' Amp, two ch with verb in the Pawn shop for $99. I asked what the wiggle room was. $89.I might get it but I already have a bunch of amps and I think it might be a parrellel loop in it as it has send and return level controls.

What I like about these is there is no question about using the HD500 amps , even the full versions. Improves an amp like this and you get a power amp and speaker for nix.

I really like my Yamaha DSX 10 speakers. They also make an 8" and a 12" model. I also use them for a PA for my small band gigs and use their 12" sub too.

If I'm playing with a full band I use them for my guitar, and I am 100% satisfied with their performance, size, reliability, power, etc. they have settings for use as floor monitors, and other nifty EQ options to boost or cut lows.

it seems really solid! What about the connections to the speakers? do you connect with the PODHD's XLR outputs or 1/4 outputs with XLR inputs?

I just saw a Randall 75watt 1x12' Amp, two ch with verb in the Pawn shop for $99. I asked what the wiggle room was. $89.I might get it but I already have a bunch of amps and I think it might be a parrellel loop in it as it has send and return level controls.

What I like about these is there is no question about using the HD500 amps , even the full versions. Improves an amp like this and you get a power amp and speaker for nix.

Ive never played on one. Is the clean sound really clean or a bit heavy or distorted?

Im looking at their website, this RG1503-212 does not have stereo fx loop, first time I see two speakers without it. Much better if buy two single ones.

It has a clean ch and the loop FX is mono like most. For stereo will need another amp.

It does not have any digital onboard FX which is a good thing.  

Any amp with an onboard spring reverb is a good year. The reverb is worth $89!

I am getting it in the morning even though I got plenty of cheap. Now all I need to do is saell them all for a really great amp!

• Upvote 1

good to know! but the price of two DSX speakers is equivalent to fender mustang iv + yamaha studio monitors. Am I right?

It has a clean ch and the loop FX is mono like most. For stereo will need another amp.

It does not have any digital onboard FX which is a good thing.  

Any amp with an onboard spring reverb is a good year. The reverb is worth $89!

I am getting it in the morning even though I got plenty of cheap. Now all I need to do is saell them all for a really great amp!

oh yeah spring reverb...good to know

It seems a good deal, but you need patience to sell all after. I have no patience, Im not a good negotiator.

good luck!

good to know! but the price of two DSX speakers is equivalent to fender mustang iv + yamaha studio monitors. Am I right?

The DXR10's are about $600 each so a litlle outside your stated budget. However, if you want to go with a pair of active monitors there are a lot in your budget of $800 a pair.  Really just which ones you prefer at that point, they are pretty much all similar.  Some have better connection options than others like a built in mixer or extra channels to add backing tracks or vocals. 

Also at your price point you might consider an L2t Stage source speaker.  Totally designed to work with your HD500. Not stereo but still an awesome speaker.

http://www.sweetwater.com/c134--Active_Powered_PA_Speakers/low2high/all/params=eyJkaW1lbnNpb24iOnsiUHJpY2UgUmFuZ2UiOlsiOSJdfX0

Alto 10 in powered speakers are great and cheap.249 ea or sometimes less.I use two of them for FRFR with my HD500 and also with my Roland GR55 and they sound real warm and pleasing.Just played a 3 hour gig yesterday with them outside in 104 degree heat and they never even broke a sweat.Best value on a budget IMHO.

UPDATE - I have had the GMX212 for a week now and really tried to like it.  On its own it is a decent little amp but it just doesn't cut it with the POD.  I MUCH prefer the POD through my power amp and PA speakers even though they are a pain to lug around.  The ins and outs on the GMX are nice but playing backing tracks through it is hopeless.  Sounds as you would expect it to through a guitar amp.  For the price its a handy backup for live use.

Bottom line - its going back... :wacko:

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE - I have had the GMX212 for a week now and really tried to like it.  On its own it is a decent little amp but it just doesn't cut it with the POD.  I MUCH prefer the POD through my power amp and PA speakers even though they are a pain to lug around.  The ins and outs on the GMX are nice but playing backing tracks through it is hopeless.  Sounds as you would expect it to through a guitar amp.  For the price its a handy backup for live use.

Bottom line - its going back... :wacko:

thank you to letting me know, it seems my choice would be Mustang IV 2 speakers. Deep in amp modeling.

• 1 year later...

I bought a Peavey Bandit "silver stripe" amp and a Yamaha G100-112 amp and both were in mint condition. Paid $80 for the Peavey and $150 for the Yamaha. Both are 100 watts (the Peavey only with an extension cab but it is insanely loud just with the one 12" Sheffield speaker  as is) and I have a very nice stereo rig. These amps are famous for durability and the clean channel is, well, clean. Perfect for the HD500X and easy to carry (each amp is about 40 lbs). I have a Carvin V3 100 watt 3 channel tube combo with 12 12 speakers also but at a weight of over 80 lbs and only a top handle too heavy for me to put in my car trunk. For the price and sound you can't beat those old solid state amps and they are dirt cheap. Plug in your guitar to one and you'll see why, their distortions are horrible! But the Pod makes magic with them. I am toying with the idea of putting a 

Eminence Delta Pro-12A 12" Cast Frame Driver into them. They are PA speakers, specs: Power RMS 400 watts, Power Max 800 watts, Sensitivity 99.2   They do weigh 18 lbs though but unlike guitar speakers show none of the peculiar mid frequency variance which gives guitar speakers their individual tone. I figure let the tones come through the Pod.

Only two decent options for using with a modeller IMHO.

1. Matrix or other clean power amp + guitar cab (cab sims on Pod disabled)

2. FRFR monitor, e.g. Line 6 stagesource L2 / L3 or Yamaha DXR12 or similar (cab sims on pod enabled)

I have a stagesource L2T with my HD500X and it's killer!

• 2 weeks later...

How about some YAMAHA THR10, ive heard it was really great! Im planning to get one for my Pod Hd500x.. What do you guys think?

Running a modeling pedal board through a modeling amplifier?  Sounds a bit like overkill doesn't it?

All you really need is an amplified output that's perfectly clean so it can represent the capabilities of the HD500 accurately.  If you want something relatively small for use at home look at the Yamaha HS7 studio monitor.  If you want something a bit more durable for outside the house look at the Alto TS212 powered speaker.  Both about the same price as the THR10 but absolutely accurate and flat response.

can it be accurate with no line6 products?

If so, can it be accurate with the feeling in your playing of a real amp?

Saying that, is h2t to address the sound accuracy and Dt50 to address feeling accuracy? Or I'm mistaken? Can't we have both?

Saying that, is h2t to address the sound accuracy and Dt50 to address feeling accuracy? Or I'm mistaken? Can't we have both?

This has been, and probably will continue to be debated until the end of time. Some players can make the transition to FRFR, other's go back to their amps. Nobody's "right". Trying an FRFR rig...and I mean really experimenting with it...is the only way to know if it's for you.

can it be accurate with no line6 products?

If so, can it be accurate with the feeling in your playing of a real amp?

The issue isn't line6 versus non-line6.  Many people use L6 L2T's or L2M's to ensure the accuracy of what is being generated in the POD.  The issue is we're discussing a modeling pedalboard.  That's where the sound accuracy and feeling originate from.  How that gets projected to an audience is determined by the output mechanism.  If the output mechanism is, in itself, a modeled amp you're simply adding layers onto an already modeled amp and detracting from the accuracy and feel.

Many people do use tradtional amps just for their amplification and speakers.  But traditional guitar amps add certain sonic characteristics to the sound, so you have to take that into account when your building your patch.

"Feel" is for cork sniffers, if you like what it sounds like coming out of your rig thats all that matters, you're unlikely to get a sensation of feel anyway if you're playing live, by the time your mic'd signal has gone down 50m + of cable to and from the desk and blasted at you from the foldback ;)