Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Any Tech21 Power Engine users here?

smrybacki

I have a pair of these Tech21 Power Engine 60s connected in stereo from my HD500 right now.  They are "OK", but not really spectacular.  I did some searching and a few threads here and elsewhere showed up, but none of them alluded to HOW they were connecting these two things.  I personally use the Studeio DIrect out via 1/4" cables to a Boss RC-30 Loop Station and on to the power engines from there.  I've also tried XLR straight to the power engines which doesn't change the character of the sound, but drops the volume significantly.  Last night I tried the COMBO PWR AMP but it sounded kind of thin to me that way, and again the volume dropped off.  Lastly, I tried my recording setup monitors which sounded OK character wise, but with small 5" woofers, that really isn't going to get it done either.

So I thought I'd throw it out to the community and ask how others may be doing this and what they might have learned.  Thoughts anyone?  How do you connect them?  Do you use the preamp models or the oines with cabinets modeled as well?  How about the EQ on the back of the PE60s?  I'm not really having a problem, just asking to broaden the base of knowledge here.

What's up Smyrbacki, I don't use the PE60's although I think they're nice cabs. I don't see any tubes but it's all analog. Was just wondering if you PAD your guitar input all the time? Hope you get some good input from other PE users.

What's up Smyrbacki, I don't use the PE60's although I think they're nice cabs. I don't see any tubes but it's all analog. Was just wondering if you PAD your guitar input all the time? Hope you get some good input from other PE users.

Hi Brazzy..good to see you here still.  I don't pad my guitar as I use my Variax exclusively with the POD.  I like the flexibility and the sound is OK, but I can't help but wonder if there is a better way I am missing -- short of selling them and getting a pair of 2L series StageSOurce speakers anyway.  Thought I'd look under every rock before I do that.

Hi Brazzy..good to see you here still.  I don't pad my guitar as I use my Variax exclusively with the POD.  I like the flexibility and the sound is OK, but I can't help but wonder if there is a better way I am missing -- short of selling them and getting a pair of 2L series StageSOurce speakers anyway.  Thought I'd look under every rock before I do that.

Read Ya loud and clear on the possible missing link good buddy. This is Rosco Peeeeeeeeeee Coltrain and his good buddy Flash, Over and Out. LOL

Oh and BTW have a Great Day!!

Hey Guys,

This might help make some sense as to the HD mode (studio vs. combo).

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=852139

The PE60 (and Atomic) were always on my "if I ever score an awesome deal and the wife doesn't kill me" list.

I still noodle around with an old TM10 and love that.

If you ever get it sorted out would love to hear some clips. I had checked out the HD500 PE60 vid Sweetwater had done and love what I heard.

@Brazzy - Is the correct Reply "Grits and Greens" Sheriff! :)

-Bill

Hey Guys,

This might help make some sense as to the HD mode (studio vs. combo).

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=852139

The PE60 (and Atomic) were always on my "if I ever score an awesome deal and the wife doesn't kill me" list.

I still noodle around with an old TM10 and love that.

If you ever get it sorted out would love to hear some clips. I had checked out the HD500 PE60 vid Sweetwater had done and love what I heard.

@Brazzy - Is the correct Reply "Grits and Greens" Sheriff! :)

-Bill

I hadn't seen that thread so thanks.  The opinions there seem split, as they are elsewhere.  I sure wish I could try a pair of StageSource!

Can't pop in the local GC?

The link had mentioned the "thin" sound when switching to combo and I am still digesting the part about the mic emulation. I wonder how much applies to power amps vs FRFR  in general?.

-B

My local GCs are a running joke here in Central PA...you want boss pedals or Spider amps, your in like Flynn...anything else ain't happening.

Here's my understanding of things.  My PE60s are the older ones, before the Celestion Seventy80 Speakers were used.  They have a Tech21 Special Design speaker in them that, according to a Tech21 rep over at the Gear Page is supposed to be a flatter (but not totally flat) response than the Celestions.  Although Tech21 would LIKE us to believe these are FRFR cabinets, when pressed they have to admit they are not really that, but more they lack the distinct mid-rangy hump of your average guitar speaker cabinet.  For years, I've run various modellers (Vox Tonelab, PodXT and this HD500) through these using Line Out and full cabinet modelling and it's always fluctuated in my ears from just OK to truly exceptional and even inspirational.

That leads me to the next step, which is a full blown FRFR speaker setup and whether I can achieve similar results using my PE60s, or am I going to have to spring for the StageSource (Thanks Line6 Marketing, damn you) speaker setup to get the best I can get kinds of sound consistently?  Or is that goal even really possible, because I am sure most here will admit that there are days when their rigs sound great and others when they seem lackluster.

So there you have it, the reason I asked and the road I have trod to get here.

Reading through this thread here:

Linky

I started to think that maybe my goals and purpose have shifted so subtly that I am trying to solve a problem I don't actually have.  Let me explain. I have this pair of PE60s that I have used habitually since I got them and at that time I was gigging and need the output power.  These days, I am in my own studio jamming, practicing and recording and have zero plans to gig, especially after my last experience (long story) and since I am now 55 (not long enough yet Lol).  Given that, I might be better served to simply get a KRK 10S subwoofer to compliment my KRK Rokit 5s and take some of the bass load off of them and have a true FRFR system to do what I actually do.  I could then just sell off the PE60s to some soul still in need of gigging power and Viola!, problem solved.

So a bit of a change in question, anyone out there still with this thread use a similar setup, IE a pair of powered studio monitors with a subwoofer?  Or do I even really need the subwoofer and instead maybe need to revisit my patches to adjust for the changed output source, namely the KRK 5s in place of the larger PE60s?

Well, it seems my KRK Rokit 5 manuals discourages the use of more than one input source at a time.

That sucks a bit as space savings is also on my list...maybe a mixer I guess....

There are plenty of decent small USB mixers under $100 that should do everything you need...  I completely understand the downsizing and keeping it simple approach...

There are plenty of decent small USB mixers under $100 that should do everything you need...  I completely understand the downsizing and keeping it simple approach...

Forgive my stupidity here, but what exactly doeas a USB mixer offer that an old school mixer does not?  I am quite serious here as I have no clue.  I am looking at mixers as well as a sub-woofer at this point.

usually just a digital path to your DAW... nothing major.

Forgive my stupidity here, but what exactly doeas a USB mixer offer that an old school mixer does not?  I am quite serious here as I have no clue.  I am looking at mixers as well as a sub-woofer at this point.

what TheRealZap said... basically you can use it as an audio interface if you want.  You can record the whole mix or you can feed tracks to the mix from your computer.  Do you need it? Maybe not but they don't really charge much for the added feature...

• Upvote 1