Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Just starting with HD500X

SteveE9C6

I bought a new HD500X three days ago and brought it home. I needed something like this to use in a praise team setting. (No amps on stage allowed)  I actually had a older Boss GT10 but I am a Lincoln Brewster fan and really wanted to try his HD500X presets. I must be missing something. I can not get his patch to work.  I tried some of the other custom tone patches as well as a bank of Glenn Delaude and they imported and work great.  Just a bit of a puzzle, especially when his facebook pages mentions that this is supposed to be a number of presets he has. I did note that when I download from his fb site that the file has a MAC OS label and I am on win 7.

One thing that really surprises me is the lack of an on/off control for the box.  Not sure what rocket scientist thought that would be a good idea to leave off but in many years of touring, recording, local gigs, etc...  I can not recall ever having an amp that did not have an on and off switch.  Of course, I am a semi retired road dog, pro pedal steeler.... perhaps the world passed me by;)

I am looking forward to getting into the unit a bit more in depth.  One thing that I really have not found on this site, or you tube is a HD500X for dummies video.  A quick start video would be nice.  You, know.... "directions for the old guy who feels a bit techo challenged"... 

steve

I am with Zap(ster) on this one. I have the LB patches for the XTL and X3 but don't recall any for the HD series on his website. IMO they were ok but like all patches will require some work.

Glenn Dulane's were pretty good for the X3 so the HD ones should be pretty cool.

No on/off switch? Yep would be nice - I plug it into a power strip and use its switch.

http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/

Rock On!

Bill

Lincoln specifically states that these are his new patches for the HD500 and the youtube video link is 

"Lincoln Brewster Official HD500 patches)     Anyway, I just read an article by him where he details what amp model and such so I will try building my own.

I figured that I would also use an extension with a on/off... just seems a bit clunky.   thanks guys

I went to the link and downloaded the Main and Swell zip files and the patch is in there.  If you try to download the actual patch from the link you get the code which is unusable.  The patches load just fine.  You can either load them from the HD Edit dialog box or just drag and drop into an open slot.  Check that your Input settings in HD Edit are set to preset not global or you may have an unusable configuration.

PS - drag and drop has always worked for me with HD file extensions for other similar models.  Any HD 500 file extension will drag and drop into HD Edit and open.  You will have to save it manually if you want it with the correct extension.  My experience anyways...

Yeah, I got his HD500 patches and imported them into my HD500X awhile back, but I had to change the file extensions from .h5e to .5xe so I could import them.

And honestly, once I imported them, they sounded terrible with the rest of my gear. I even tried using them at practice once to see if they sounded better with the mix, and everyone, including myself, thought they sounded bad.

Instead, I created my own patch that I think works great for Lincoln Brewster songs. I've had a couple of people here ask me for it after listening to it when looking for LB patches. You can hear a clip of me using it here:

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/hpd14maygnwiphb/PraisesRingSoloExcerpt.mp3

And if you like it, you can download it here:

http://line6.com/customtone/tone/341558/

Just keep in mind that with a different guitar, different speakers, and other factors, you still may need to make some adjustments to get any downloaded patches to sound like you want them to with your equipment.

Thanks folks.  Back to the drawing board for me. I guess I just need to be patient and take this in baby steps and learn more about the unit.  My flaw...little patience.

You be fine my man! In the long run baby steps are the best way to start. I remember when the big ole box arrived - opened it up, plugged it in and 5 minutes later was already looking for the manual. Quite a technology leap for me :)

Thanks for post the Brewster vid - I  will have to go try those.

Props to Alienux for the link!

-Bill

What! you mean if I download his patches I won't sound  and play just like him?   :huh:  Joking of course.... I appreciate the responses here. I'm an older guy (62) who has been around a while. My primary instrument is pedal steel, though I have played guitar since I was about 8 y/o. Once I get settled in and comfortable with this, I will work on some patches for steel guitar too.

duh!  I am my own worst enemy.  I changed the file extension which then imported showing the amp, settings, etc.....   still no sound.  Then noticed the volume pedal icon in the signal chain.  Hmm, it was set up on the wrong controller for me. Now it is working just fine.  However, these are the strangest amp settings I have ever seen... 

Bass 0% MID 100%, Treble 0%, presence 0%   The patch doesn't sound like those amp settings to my ears.   Now jumping into tweaking mode.   thanks so much!

duh!  I am my own worst enemy.  I changed the file extension which then imported showing the amp, settings, etc.....   still no sound.  Then noticed the volume pedal icon in the signal chain.  Hmm, it was set up on the wrong controller for me. Now it is working just fine.  However, these are the strangest amp settings I have ever seen... 

Bass 0% MID 100%, Treble 0%, presence 0%   The patch doesn't sound like those amp settings to my ears.   Now jumping into tweaking mode.   thanks so much!

You really want your mids to be much higher than base and treble for live playing, otherwise it sounds really thin in the mix, but I agree, 100% mids with 0 treble and 0 bass is a bit much. Depending on the amp model, I generally go with around 75% - 85% on the mids and between 40% and 50% with bass and/or treble to get a full, thicker sound that isn't lost behind the keyboards and bass.