Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Spider IV Direct Out Issue

ancientsonmusic

Plugging into the DI/headphone out on a Spider IV amp auotmatically mutes the speakers.  The only way to bypass this is by opening the amp and changing the wiring, which will void your warranty.

Womever advised you regarding MOnkey does not understand this equipment.  Monkey is the program used to update and download/install Line 6 hardware-related software.  You need an FBV MkII controller pedal to connect the amp to your computer to use Monkey.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi,

I have a Line 6 Spider IV 75 watt and a FBV Shortboard MKII which I "had" been impressed with.

Found this is a design flaw of the amp.

Issue is mentioned in Line 6 read only forum here: http://line6.com/supportarchivenew/thread/15972.

SPST switch (costs next to nothing) is used to mod the amp and voids warranty:

I'm very disappointed with Line 6 for not implementing this feature especially when the work around costs a couple of dollars at most and allot less on a production line.

Who was the genious that made the decision not to implement this feature in the amp?

It's a bit like welding fixed wheels to a bicycle.

I think the problem really stems from the fact that the output is really a headphone out, not a DI at all - it just can be used as a DI by keeping the volume down to a non-clipping level.   As a headphone ouput, it would make sense to cut off the speaker sound.

• 5 years later...

I'm using the line out to connect into a computer to record tracks into Audacity.

The speakers are muted like everyone noted above.

But because there is a delay between the playing of the guitar and the audio out of the computer it is a bit irritating.

Has anyone tried putting a  "Y" adapter off the output connection and one into the recording(computer) and another to some headphones? so there is no

delay?

Thanx

3 hours ago, shdwmstff said:

I'm using the line out to connect into a computer to record tracks into Audacity.

The speakers are muted like everyone noted above.

But because there is a delay between the playing of the guitar and the audio out of the computer it is a bit irritating.

Has anyone tried putting a  "Y" adapter off the output connection and one into the recording(computer) and another to some headphones? so there is no

delay?

Thanx

I assume you are plugging directly into the computer's line input. You should be using an audio interface that allows direct monitoring.