Sign in to follow this  
ancientsonmusic

Spider IV Direct Out Issue

Good morning

I want to use the direct out and have the speakers on my amp work as well. The advice I got was log in and use Monkey to adjust the settings, however Monkey will not recognize my MKII. Anyone else have this issue? Fix?

Thanks!

Plugging into the DI/headphone out on a Spider IV amp auotmatically mutes the speakers.  The only way to bypass this is by opening the amp and changing the wiring, which will void your warranty.

Womever advised you regarding MOnkey does not understand this equipment.  Monkey is the program used to update and download/install Line 6 hardware-related software.  You need an FBV MkII controller pedal to connect the amp to your computer to use Monkey.

Has anyone ever modded the wiring like you mentioned ?, I would be very interested in this Mod

there are people who have done so.  Google "how to modify line 6 spider IV amp so speakers do not mute when pluggin in headphones"

Hi,

I have a Line 6 Spider IV 75 watt and a FBV Shortboard MKII which I "had" been impressed with.

Found this is a design flaw of the amp.

Issue is mentioned in Line 6 read only forum here: http://line6.com/supportarchivenew/thread/15972.

SPST switch (costs next to nothing) is used to mod the amp and voids warranty:

I'm very disappointed with Line 6 for not implementing this feature especially when the work around costs a couple of dollars at most and allot less on a production line.

Who was the genious that made the decision not to implement this feature in the amp?

It's a bit like welding fixed wheels to a bicycle.

I think the problem really stems from the fact that the output is really a headphone out, not a DI at all - it just can be used as a DI by keeping the volume down to a non-clipping level.   As a headphone ouput, it would make sense to cut off the speaker sound.