Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

XD-V70 Replacement Capsules

RichG

I'm considering the replacement of the stock capsule in my XD-V70 mics with a Shure RPW112 capsule.  I've read these don't quite fit right as the pins in the XD-V70 mic base don't come in contact with the capsule when screwed into place.  Can anyone confirm this?  Is there a fix for this?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm confused.. why would you change to the SM58 capsule when the stock capsule is basically an SM58 clone only less muddy?

Seems like a huge waste of money.. 

Last Summer headlined an outdoor concert in front of 5,000 people.  From the instant we started the lead vocal mic, a stock XD-V70, had feedback issues.  FOH could not seem to control it.  When we went on break they changed out the mic for a wired SM58.  We played the rest of the night without a single feedback problem from the lead vocal mic.

HERE are some more thoughts on the topic.

Lotta misinformation in that thread. :)

I doubt that the V70 capsule is the problem.  I have made controlled measurements side by side and the V70 always beats the sM58 for feedback rejection by better than 3 dB.  But I will give you that all venues are different.  But if you are having feedback problems outdoors I suspect something in the monitor chain isn't right.  You shouldn't have feedback issues out of doors.

I will give you that switching to a Beta58 capsule does make a difference in the patterns between the two mics ... but again depending on the exact conditions you cannot state that one pattern or the other will always perform better.  It just depends.

This particular outdoor 'venue' was one of your typical parks-n-rec flatbeds.  They're a giant rectangular box with one side open.  They LOVE to resonate lower frequencies! wwooooOOOOOOO!!!!!

I needed a new capsule anyway since one of my XD-V70's failed.  I replaced it with a Heil.  Now that I have the Heil, a couple different flavors of SM58, and some XD-V70's I'll be able to report some real world experience with all of them.

Being inside a box would be difficult for any mic because you are likely getting reflects off the back wall and ceiling right back into the front of the mic.  In this case my best guess is the pattern probably won't make any difference at all.

The more information you give me, the more I think maybe you just do not undertand how sound systems and even microphones work...   If you were getting feedback, adjustments to the monitors would have been the first thing necessary... Did they have a monitor EQ?  did they ring out the monitors correctly?  probably not...   I have run sound for many bands in many many many environments and never had feedback issues with any of my line6 wireless regardless of what capsule... 

• 2 years later...

I have to say, I agree with RichG: I have a number of Sennheiser wired and wireless 835 microphones, and when I try to put my Line 6 D75 into the mix, whether on the 835 model or not, the feedback begins. It is by far the least stable wireless I have ever owned. That combined with the frequent dropouts, makes it a beautiful paperweight in my rig.

I was a HUGE proponent of the X2 systems, and still own several of them. However, I cannot say the same for the stability of the Line 6 versions. The sound quality is excellent... But if it's dropping out because it's being used in a room full of cell phones or whatever, that's death in the sound business.