Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD HD, JTV and drive pedals

Mynameismatt

Iwant to know peoples experiences using pod hd with variax via digital cable and putting external drive pedals in the effect loop.  

Im thinking my signal chain would go something like this... Variax > POD in > Wah > Effects loop send > JHS Morning Glory > Tube Screamer > Effect loop return > Amp Model > Delay > Pod Output

Would it work well ? anyone doing it?  I don't like the internal drives in the POD but want the versatility on the JTV connected via VDI.

I haven't had any issues. The only issue was getting the Soul Food level set so that when I engaged it I didn't get a huge volume boost. It varies from room to room that we play in so during sound check I engage it and then adjust it so that it is only a slight boost over the clean signal.

I have things set up a little differently to what you suggest.

I go from the JTV into HD500x via VDI (I never use the Variax input on the HD500x it's connected only to power the JTV and change presets via the footswitchs/patch changes). The 1/4" jack output from the JTV then goes into a DI box (you need a ground lift when using both outputs from a JTV otherwise you get ground loop interference), out the DI box and into an EHX Tortion overdrive pedal, which then goes out into the guitar in on the HD500x.

JTV ----via VDI----> HD500x

JTV ----via 1/4" jack----> DI Box -> Overdrive Pedal -> HD500x

It works well and really gives me a nice signal going into the HD500x.

Then I use the FX loop to place a Strymon Big Sky in there. I do plan on moving it so it takes the output from the HD500x, but then that would render the HD500x's looper useless. When I get a Strymon Timeline I'll definitely have it following the HD500x then, that will free up loads of DSP for the HD500x.

That's a genius work around Rewold but its a shame you have to use a DI and don't get the beneift of the clean VDI signal.  

I did things that way because I have other things in the FX loop. If I do get another looper I can put at the end of everything then I may very well move the overdrive to the FX loop and delays and reverbs after the HD500x. If I did things that way I could then just use the VDI connection.