Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

SonicPort VX with iPhone 4S?

sperl42

Line 6 officially says that SonicPort VX only works with iphone 5 or bigger. How about iphone 4S with a Lightning to 30pin converter? My iphone 4S currently runs iOS 8, so it should be no big deal.

Any answer would be appreciated.

kind regards,

Stefan Sperling

Will the 30-pin connector delivered with the SonicPort also work with the SonicPort VX?

I already own the SonicPort, but want to buy the SonicPort VX and use it with my iPad 3 (30-pin connector) currently under iOS7.

Thank you for the answer!

according to the part number and the fullcompass site they are the same cable.

I'm pretty confident it will work. I too have the ipad 3 and would be curious to hear your feedback.

I use my VX with some newer iOS device now with the lightning cable.

• Upvote 1

The VX works perfectly with the 30-pin connector cable delivered with the Sonic Port (non VX).

I only had issues with the Mobile Pod app on my ipad 3. Under iOS 7.0.6 there is no Mobile Pod version working with the VX device, you have to use iOS 7.1 as a minimum. The update to iOS 7.1.2 wasn't too easy with iOS 8.0 already active on air. It's a matter of rebuilding the device with a downloaded ipsw-file, not to forget the time consuming backup and restore of all apps and data. But finally everything ist working like a charm.

Thanks for your support!

Many other apps still have problems with iOS 8 or are not working at all. The OS is very new and buggy and I don't want to be a beta tester. I have read that the chance for app crashes with 8.0 is three times as high as with 7.1.x.

At least: is my "old" ipad 3 really quick enough für iOS 8? I doubt ...

• 2 weeks later...

Today I tried loading my ipad3 via the supplied usb cable and the 30pin adapter from the sonic port package: doesn't load :(

I further experimented with my iphone 5c: here loading only works with the sonic port xv supplied lightning cable, but not with the one from the sonic port package...

Seems like I have to replace my ipad 3 with a newer one.

Has anyone tried the above mentioned "Line 6 21-34-0230" cable? Does it support loading of the ipad 3?

• 2 months later...

My old Sonic Port cable with the 30-pin connector definitely works with the VX and iPad 3 under iOS8. Mobile POD works satisfactorily and the digital signal is much cleaner and stronger than that of the old SP or analogue interfaces like Peavey's Ampkit Link (which still works acceptably well).

The USB connector I used to hook up to a mains charger.

The issue is one of charging, and this likely is due to the Retina Display and other battery requirements of this particularly bulky iPad 3 model. I strongly feel that this is the reason Line 6 has not listed it as a compatible device - charging mileage may vary. What I did notice was a 2-3% loss of charge after a few hours of light use, which isn't so bad, and I take this to mean that the VX is actually supporting the iPad 3's battery, otherwise the loss of charge would be much greater within that time. I'm happy enough with its operation so far as to continue to hold out for the hotly-anticipated iPad Pro next year.

Any thoughts, esteemed experts?