Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Comparing UX series with other interfaces out there

darahmuda

I have an UX1. It's been for awhile, and so far so good. But I wonder how is it compared to other UXs or even other new shining audio interfaces sold today in term of audio quality. Should I get a new one?

I have to admit, many interfaces have a nice looking feature better than mine. But what to consider to choose these interfaces other than input/output port quantity, or mic preamps, or better looking? I wasn't so sure back than. What I know was I want to have a great FX/amp simulator and it can handle 24bit/48khz recording. Is that not enough? What about A/D D/A conversion quality?

I'd be curious to see this also.  I've had my UX1 for close to 6 years now and it serves me fine.  I had considered getting the UX8 since it is rack mountable and has some decent VU type meters, but was never sure if you could record 8 channels simultaneously (live drums, multiple vocals).

Also, I wouldn't want to lose the ability to keep Pod Farm as my "go to" plugin.

Nothings broke, so it doesn't need fixing, but I'm curious...

What silverhead said!!

You can easily spend thousands of dollars on an interface.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ApolloQuadTB

But it boils down to your needs. Are you looking for just an interface, or interface plus modeling and plug-in's.

The Lexicon I linked to was an affordable solution needed for me at the time for the extra inputs, but it does not come with all the modeling the UX/POD Farm series has.

If you are a musician or recording enthusiast, there are plenty of interfaces around the $500 or less as well as plug-in software.

But spending lots of money on interfaces and gear, doesn't necessarily mean anything will sound better.

Mixing a final product is a whole other art than playing, so is recording.

If you are at a point where you feel the UX is your limiting factor, you could try another one, hopefully on a 30 day return policy,and see if there is a discernible improvement in your final mix.

But beware of G.A.S.!!  ;)

What silverhead said!!

You can easily spend thousands of dollars on an interface.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ApolloQuadTB

But it boils down to your needs. Are you looking for just an interface, or interface plus modeling and plug-in's.

The Lexicon I linked to was an affordable solution needed for me at the time for the extra inputs, but it does not come with all the modeling the UX/POD Farm series has.

If you are a musician or recording enthusiast, there are plenty of interfaces around the $500 or less as well as plug-in software.

But spending lots of money on interfaces and gear, doesn't necessarily mean anything will sound better.

Mixing a final product is a whole other art than playing, so is recording.

If you are at a point where you feel the UX is your limiting factor, you could try another one, hopefully on a 30 day return policy,and see if there is a discernible improvement in your final mix.

But beware of G.A.S.!!  ;)

I more concern about converter quality and sample rate.

I read also UX1/UX2 sample rate can be up to 96khz, is that true? cos I can't get it set on my DAW. 

I am not sure what the native sampling rate is of the UX series, I think it up-samples to achieve 96K.

Have you tried setting the rate in your DAW then checking "match host" in the Line6 Audio-MIDI control panel?

I don't have access to my UX atm, so I do not remember the exact wording.