Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD500X So many options with recording so what is the best?

joedreamliner787

Hi everyone,

I have been struggling in getting an awesome neo-classical metal tone from the HD500X. 1st I am using an ESP FR-7 with Seymour Duncan Blackouts. I use a Peavy 6505+ 1x12 combo but with an EVH5150III cab. My Peavey on the lead channel without the HD500X sounds brutal without incredible tone. The amp has a direct out so I do not have to mic it. Then I saw the 500X and did some research about the 4 cable method and I figured hell, I can have all the effects I ever want use the preamp of Peavey plus run a tube screamer in front of the amp (FX block) and viola TONE . Nope...I am clearly doing something wrong. So I figured let me just plug the pod into my PC vis USB hook the 1/4" outs L/R to my powered monitor speakers plug my guitar in grab some patches and see how that sounds. Sounds like crap, so then I went into the settings menu and ahh found the Direct/Record option so I turned that on and it still sounds like crap :/  So I plugged my guitar into my amp no pod to make sure guitar, cable etc is working properly, sure is. I am having a hell of a time! Below is everything I have and if someone could PLEASE tell me how to hook up my components in the best possible way to get the best sound for recording.

Thanks everyone!

ESP FR-7 Seymour Duncan blackouts.

6505+ Has send and receive effects, and XLR direct out

EVH 5150III Cab

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

Two monitor speakers

Pod HD500X

I don't know about the other guys and gals in here but I would need a more defined explanation than sounds like crap! LOL! There are many levels of crap. I would think we need a more descriptive reason such as, too thin, too bassy, too fizzy, etc. What exactly is the problem with the tone?

Personally, I find that putting an EQ at the tail end of the FX chain will help you tame the tone a little better. All of the digital amp sims, even the computer software ones, seem a little more ear friendly with an EQ at the tail end to help get rid of the fizziness and pump a little more mids.

I always have an EQ last in my chain in the HD500. Though, usually I am not using the 5 cable setup. I use the low impedance outs direct in to the computer interface and tweak everything in the HD until I have what I want. I must say also that I play more traditional, rock, jazz, blues, and country. I don't do metal much so my setup works for me. I can't say as far as shredding metal licks because I don't play metal.

Give us a detailed statement as to the problem and I know someone here can help.

I don't know about the other guys and gals in here but I would need a more defined explanation than sounds like crap! LOL! There are many levels of crap. I would think we need a more descriptive reason such as, too thin, too bassy, too fizzy, etc. What exactly is the problem with the tone?

Personally, I find that putting an EQ at the tail end of the FX chain will help you tame the tone a little better. All of the digital amp sims, even the computer software ones, seem a little more ear friendly with an EQ at the tail end to help get rid of the fizziness and pump a little more mids.

I always have an EQ last in my chain in the HD500. Though, usually I am not using the 5 cable setup. I use the low impedance outs direct in to the computer interface and tweak everything in the HD until I have what I want. I must say also that I play more traditional, rock, jazz, blues, and country. I don't do metal much so my setup works for me. I can't say as far as shredding metal licks because I don't play metal.

Give us a detailed statement as to the problem and I know someone here can help.

Hi, I am not indicating that the HD500X is crap I am mentioning the sound because maybe it's my lack of thorough knowledge of the unit thus far. Basically I want to capture the lead channel tone from my 6505+which is rich and harmonic via the direct out and use the effects loop on my amp and the pod 500x to run a tube screamer emulator in the 500X in front of the amp and modulation fx such as delay in the back of the of the amp (post).  I do not scoop mids etc, on my 6505+ I lessen the pre-gain and raise the post so the guitar is crystal clear and cuts throgh a mix but still without loosing note defination. If you could help how I should use my direct out into my scarlet or from the pod is would be very helpful. I also eventunally want the option to just use the pod with a pair on monitor speakers and get some great recording results via the usb. Thanks!

I understand you don't mean that the unit is crap. I simply meant in the post we need the details you just gave us so we can suggest how to get the sound you want.

What you are wanting as far as the amp being integrated in to your sound is the 4 cable hookup. There is an extensive post about that setup in this forum. Just scroll down and you should be able to see it. There was a discussion about that hookup a few days ago. I have not used an amp live or in the studio for years, although, I did use an old Boss GT5 with a similar 4 cable setup for a short time before I retired the amps.

I either use the HD or software sims like Overloud's TH2, Guitar Rig, Amplitube, etc..

As far as the monitor speaker set up, you will really have to tweak out what you want sound wise because the monitors don't sound or respond anything like your "real" amp. The sound is worlds apart when using the HD by itself.

I would suggest what I do. You have blank banks where there are no presets. I set up one bank for recording with the USB so all the presets in that bank are tweaked out for the best sound possible straight in to the board or computer. I set up the second blank bank with presets for plugging in to the amp either direct or 4 cable hookup. Whichever works best for that. That way if I am recording direct I use the bank of direct presets. If I am performing live and using the Peavey, I use the bank of sounds tweaked for that.

I hope this helps. Good luck and I will be watching this thread closely to see how you're coming along. I'm sure some other folks will chime in with more suggestions.

BTW, I use the low impedance outs, left and right, from the HD straight in to the Roland Studio Captures. When you plug the HD USB in to the computer the HD becomes your soundcard. You will have to plug the outputs from the HD in to the monitor speaker system to hear sound. If set for ASIO, this could cause driver conflicts. ASIO only allows one interface at a time. This could cause clicks and pops and worse, crashes of your software.

Like I said, I will keep an eye on this thread and try to help as much as possible.

Okay after realling diggining into the unit I have finally have a great tone that I was looking for. I ended up not opting to use my amp and just going straight from

my HD500X to the PC and them XLR left and rights to my Rokit 6 G3 monitors. I appreciate the help and advice and found it was better to build my sound from the ground up!