Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Anybody figured out DAW-based preset switching?

briandshelby

Hi all,

I'm trying to get my DAW (Reaper) to do my patch switching for me. Any body figured this out?

I've got a Focusrite interface and a MIDI cable from the HD. I can record the MIDI signals coming in when I change patches, but after I switch the cables, I can't get the recorded MIDI track to have any effect on the HD. any help?

As a sidenote, it would be cool to be able to export the HD's patch names to be able to import them into the DAW, so it wouldn't say "Drawbar organ' when I choose Patch 5A (see attached).

Thanks - Brian

post-1594329-0-25988000-1411339119_thumb.jpg

I haven't looked into it but thanks.

I saw this on a Fractal video and didn't even think of it on the HDs with midi in.

I am not so good with midi but the manual should give the info.

Perhaps some of the HDPRO owners write midi data to switch patches when reamping to the unit?

I'm not a Reaper user but I store patch changes all the time in Ableton Live and have many different DAWs over the years. So I can't speak directly about Reaper I would first check to make sure that Reaper is actually sending midi out to your midi interface. Most DAWs all for differing input and output paths. As for the patch names, it sounds as if Reaper is assuming that are using a GM sound source and is defaulting to those patch names. Some DAWs allow you to create your own patch names and others dont. It probably is a simple text file that is being looked at so if you can find that file you can always edit it to match your patch names but don't change the name of the file. Hope these ideas help.

Like I said, it's possible. I do it every week for leading worship.

I've since found a cheapo used $5 usb to midi device and it seems to work well with reaper. One thing that startled me for a bit is that sending an event to switch an effect on or off is actually a toggle, which might work good for live use, but during composition it doesn't work all that great. I don't yet see a way to specify whether an effect should be either on or off with one event. So that if an effect is already on and there's an event to switch it on, don't send any event and just leave it on. Instead the event just stupidly toggles it. There is some settings in the preferences to send some messages on stop/play but the result isn't quite as expected. It might be possible to do something with scripting though. Haven't looked into it yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update - it didn't work when I followed those videos, then the next time I turned on my computer it changed a patch in the middle of a practice run - pleasant surprise. I saved the block and modified it, so now I have MIDI blocks I can drag in and drop for each of my main presets. Thanks guys!