Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Parallel tuning limited to 0 or +12?!

I mistakenly read between the lines when researching the JTV Variax guitar and assumed that its ability to simultaneously use alternate tunings and emulate a 12-string guitar would allow me to use intervals other than octaves for the latter. The Workbench graphics for Tuning and Parallel Pitch look so similar that I figured you can enter a "Parallel Pitch" value other than 0 or +12. Not so.

Here's a tuning I'd like to use:

E2/E1

A2/A1

D3/A2

G3/D4

B3/F#4

E4/B4

Since my ancient Roland VG8 could do this using its Polyphonic Pitch Shifting feature, I'm astounded this limitation exists.

Any idea if Line6 will add more granular control over Parallel Pitch tuning in a firmware upgrade?

I realize I can mix in the mag pickups and achieve the same tuning without involving the "Parallel Pitch" feature but that's a compromise.

"We" don't know, because L6 people do not typically post on the User Forums, and they never, ever let slip about new products or upgrades unless it is being formally announced. The beta testers (if there is a beta test program at the moment) will know, and some of them might even be forum users, but they are gagged too.

It is an interesting concept, but might not be possible because L6 might have used a lightweight pitch doubler for 12 string so that it can then work with the Alt Tuning feature, and there might not be enough DSP to do 12 separate Pitch shifts.

But I really don't know.

You can suggest it on IdeaScale (http://line6.ideascale.com/)

It is an interesting concept, but might not be possible because L6 might have used a lightweight pitch doubler for 12 string so that it can then work with the Alt Tuning feature, and there might not be enough DSP to do 12 separate Pitch shifts.

I don't know either, of course, but to me that seems not only plausible, but likely. :-)

"We" don't know, because L6 people do not typically post on the User Forums, and they never, ever let slip about new products or upgrades unless it is being formally announced. The beta testers (if there is a beta test program at the moment) will know, and some of them might even be forum users, but they are gagged too.

But I really don't know.

You can suggest it on IdeaScale (http://line6.ideascale.com/)

Thank you for your comments. Just to clarify: the another alternate 12-string tuning I'm referring to involves a standard tuning plus an alternate tuning of the additional strings provided by the "parallel pitch" function. Or, to accomplish this another way, alt tune the "main" strings and standard tune the "parallel" strings. Either way, I think this is only 6 pitch shifts (unless the code to create parallel pitches is so lightweight that it can only double the existing pitch, in which case I guess you're correct in calling this "12 separate pitch shifts").  Either way, I hope there's adequate DSP power to do it someday. It's a nice effect.

• 4 weeks later...

I didn't realize that limitation on the JTV until I saw that the new Boss GP-10 *does* offer that feature..

I could see the future offerings of Line6 getting on board with that, and also the 'multi string' feature, that allows you to send each string to it's own track when ruinning USB into your DAW. Which is some seriously insanely cool technology!

"For example, you can record the audio output of each of your guitar’s strings on separate tracks, either processed with the GP-10 or captured dry for later processing."

I didn't realize that limitation on the JTV until I saw that the new Boss GP-10 *does* offer that feature..

I could see the future offerings of Line6 getting on board with that, and also the 'multi string' feature, that allows you to send each string to it's own track when ruinning USB into your DAW. Which is some seriously insanely cool technology!

"For example, you can record the audio output of each of your guitar’s strings on separate tracks, either processed with the GP-10 or captured dry for later processing."

It's not possible with the current units of JTVs and PODs. They would have to rewrite so many things, something that might not be possible without writing all the protocols from scratch, and that's not going to happen unless they decide to do so on a next generation of POD units or something as such.

They'd have to rewrite the entire VDI and JTV protocol as well.

You're asking for too much, you're going to have to push them to do that on the next generation of POD and Variax units.

I was waxing poetic about some future Line6 gear, not really the variax specifically!

Trust me, you know how much I'd love to output 6 individual tracks for each string? You have any clue what you could do if you had that possibility?

You could have effects for each string. You could have 6 guitar to midi plugins running in for a flawless MIDI guitar. You could use pitch shifters for each string.

It would be amazing. You could virtually do all those effects just by downloading plugins and programming them to work like that with the 6 string channels.

If my Variax could do that that would be amazing. You could program your POD's expression pedal to do that lap steel bend effect on your strings. 

The problem I have with the BOSS stuff is that it doesn't sound as good. Those features are amazing, but what's the point if the guitar sounds a bit off?

• Upvote 1

...The problem I have with the BOSS stuff is that it doesn't sound as good. Those features are amazing, but what's the point if the guitar sounds a bit off?

pity, because i was thinking 2 use it with midi in order 2  minimize studio recording cost...

Thank you for your comments. Just to clarify: the another alternate 12-string tuning I'm referring to involves a standard tuning plus an alternate tuning of the additional strings provided by the "parallel pitch" function. Or, to accomplish this another way, alt tune the "main" strings and standard tune the "parallel" strings. Either way, I think this is only 6 pitch shifts (unless the code to create parallel pitches is so lightweight that it can only double the existing pitch, in which case I guess you're correct in calling this "12 separate pitch shifts").  Either way, I hope there's adequate DSP power to do it someday. It's a nice effect.

I just realised that somebody else asked a similar question in a way that my mind processed a bit differently...

The JTV can do exactly what you want.... if you use Magnetic pickups for the standard notes and a model for the altered tunings and merge the outputs.  This can be done in Workbench setting up an altered tuning patch with blended mags, or if you have an HD500/Pro you can set it up on a patch my patch basis and even process the model and mags differently