Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Audio Interface for Midi Control

trueNorth55

Hey folks,

Currently I've got a Line 6 POD HD PRO X connected to a Toneport UX8 connected to a MacBook Pro.

Unfortunately, the POD HD does not do Midi over USB and the UX8 does not have Midi In/Out to connect the POD HD.

Because of this, I'm thinking of replacing the UX8 with an audio interface that supports Midi In/Out and was wondering what other peoples experiences were.

In the long-run, I want all the audio from my MacBook Pro (backing tracks) and POD HD (guitar) passing through the OUTS on the interface, and have Midi controls programmed in my DAW to control the POD HD parameters.

Any feedback is appreciated, thanks.

Conversely, do you ever use all 8 channels of your UX8 to record simultaneously, like for example, a full drum kit? 

I have used all 8 channels on the UX8 to record drums previously, but it was far from professional.

It's mostly used live, so that all the sound guy gets is a Left and Right out. All the guitar/drum levels are mixed through the UX8 so that we can achieve a consistent sound live. We're a two-piece instrumental band, just drums and guitar, and it's worked out well so far.

I want to program my patch changes through Logic Pro X now, to cut down on my FBV Shortboard "tap-dancing" on stage.

Is it possible to program looping through midi as well?

I have used all 8 channels on the UX8 to record drums previously, but it was far from professional.

It's mostly used live, so that all the sound guy gets is a Left and Right out. All the guitar/drum levels are mixed through the UX8 so that we can achieve a consistent sound live. We're a two-piece instrumental band, just drums and guitar, and it's worked out well so far.

I want to program my patch changes through Logic Pro X now, to cut down on my FBV Shortboard "tap-dancing" on stage.

Is it possible to program looping through midi as well?

It appears that all the looper controls can be controlled by midi. Check out the advanced guide for all the details.

• Upvote 1

It appears that all the looper controls can be controlled by midi. Check out the advanced guide for all the details.

Excellent. Looks like I've got some work to do now  :)

Also, I was poking around on Google and found this support doc for Logic Pro X: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3956

I guess I can still use the UX8 with an additional interface by creating an aggregate device.

Thanks so much everyone. You've all been a great help!