Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Tyler Variax: Can it be hooked up to a guitar synth using exisiting hex/piezo pickups?

I've found a couple threads here on hooking up a guitar synth to HD500 and Tyler Variax, but using the roland hex pickup. Seems redundant, since Variaxes already have individual string pickups. Any ways to leverage a guitar synth utilizing the existing Variax pickups? Some way, maybe through the CAT5 out of the guitar to an adaptor/converter to the pin connector Roland uses, etc.? Any way to bypass using an HD500 or the like?

I currently use Variaxes through a Flextone III Plus. I'm looking to use the guitar as a synth for some simple lines where the keyboardist in our group is already using every appendage (lol). Not looking to blend guitar w/ synth or anything like that, just switch back and forth between the two.

Hoping for a possible and most direct path of least resisteance.

Thanks!

I recently picked up a fishman triple play, just can't bring myself to mount it...

not simple enough for my taste...

i'll probably sell it rather than attach it to anything myself.

but i like the idea...

like this poster... i want simple and easy.

I saw a picture somewhere of a guy with a JTV-69 and he had one of the new Fishman Triple Play Synth interfaces. I'm giving serious thought to that for my own rig.

I recently picked up a fishman triple play, just can't bring myself to mount it...

not simple enough for my taste...

i'll probably sell it rather than attach it to anything myself.

but i like the idea...

like this poster... i want simple and easy.

Let me know if you decide to sell!! <_<

Apparently Glenn DeLaune added a Roland GK-3 pickup to his JTV69 so he could use the GP-10 with it. 

Getting into some interesting dual 'guitar' / alternate tuning modeling there! He does make a good point, which would be a solid feature request:

JTV needs some nylon string acoustic models!

photo.jpg

"Yes I love the JTV69. Actually I installed the GK-3 pick-up onto the Variax LOL. So now I've got both modelers going at the same time. The only thing the Variax models are better are for the reso models like Banjo, Sitar, Resonators etc. Boss has better acoustic and electric guitar modeling in my opinion. Heck the variax doesn't even do nylon string where the GP-10 has a beautiful nylon model."

Â· 
cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
photo.jpg

"It was actually the Acoustic and the Nylon models of the GP-10 that sold me on trading my Variax. I have the GK-3 pick-up on the Variax and was using it with my GR-55. My friend has the GR-55 with the Roland Strat and it runs very well together. I have had problems trying to set-up the GK-3 pickup with some synth sounds I was using and have tried many different ways that different people have told me how to do it and still was not satisfied. So when I heard the GP-10 and the demo of the Guitar models compared to my JT Variax, especially the Acoustic and the Nylon models , I was sold. So bottom line Glenn, I liked the GP-10 over the Variax and since my buddy's Roland Strat works well with his GR-55 and mine for that matter, well getting the Roland Strat gives me the best of both worlds. 

Next thing is to get the 13 pin duel Y cable and try out the GP-10 and GR-55 together......lol Wow are we spoiled....lol

Tommy"

• 2 weeks later...