Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Any difference in sound between DT25 combo and DT25 head/112 cab?

GazzaBloom

I have the DT25 head / cab .... reasons are .....

1) I like splitting the weight up

2) I much prefer the sound of a closed back cab to the open back combo (although I do use beam blockers). Tighter, thicker, more punch (all "technical terms")

3) I also have a second D112. The stacked trio is awesome. plus if I ever want to go true stereo I just need to buy a second head.

4) I prefer the controls on the front rather than on the top.

Of course these are just my personal preferences.

• Upvote 2

The greatest impact on the sound will be the open back of the combo vs the closed (ported) cab used with the head.

I have the DT50 combo and I have DT25 heads with cabs. The open back of the combos give a more open sound wheras the ported closed back speaker cabs are tighter and tend to have more bass.

The 12AX7 and EL84 valves handle the vibration within combo amps fairly well, so rattling the valves isn't a big issue, but it can be if you're playing loud.

Personally, I'm a bit torn between the two there are advantaged and disadvantages for both. While generally speaking I prefer the sound of open backed combos, the closed back on the DT25 cab works really well for modelled tones.

Cheers,

Crusty

• Upvote 1

Thanks guys, I have the combo and I much prefer controls 'hidden' on top as I use the PODHD500X to drive the DT anyway. I looked at some sound clips of open back vs closed back cabs and I think I prefer open as per the combo.

I guess I could add a 112 cab for best of both worlds at some point but even better would be another DT25 so I could run a stereo rig with full dual amp flexibility!

I'll dream on....

You might notice a DT Amp in the little pic with my posts. :D

As I mentioned, I have a preference for open back cabs too. It's like the speaker is free to do its thing. I have also used FRFR PA speakers for amp modelling and get great results for simulating the sound of the modelled speaker cabs. So, it really comes down to what you prefer and what you're aiming to achieve with the gear.

Cheers,

Crusty

• 2 months later...

Hello, I have a question.  I have considered getting the DT 25 head and cabinet, but I have also considered getting the DT 25 combo and stacking it on top of a DT 25 cab to kind of get the best of both worlds (the open back sound of the combo on top with the closed cabinet sound of the cab). I would be running this from my HD 500 via Line6 link.

Does anyone have experience with the DT 25 combo stacked not the cab?  I have read that it fits well (is stable and sturdy), but I am curious about the sound. It seems like it should offer a lot of flexibility.  

Thanks, 

John

I have the Head & Cab but I would think the combo on top of a cab would provide a nice combination of sonic attributes. Good thing you have the POD since adjusting the knobs from the top of the amp would be a P.I.T.A. if stacked.