Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Drive is more effective at lower volume mode

TiagoRamos

Hi there.

I have a problem with a DT50 212.

For example, at voicing 1 (american clean) if i tweek the gain knob, i can´t get the drive sound i want. it maintain the sound clean and clear.

If i pull the Master volume knob and operate at a low volume mode, i can get drive from the american clean. a nice drive indeed.

And the same with other voicings. With voicing number 2 (british crunch) with the gain knob pushed to the maximum, there is no gain enough. But if i chenged to lower volume mode, i can get the gaiin i want.

This happens with all the voicings.

this happens to me with the guitar plugged straight in the amp. Without POD'S.

This is a normal feature?

Thanks for you help.

In low volume mode, you're using modeling to emulate the power amp portion of the amp, and the drive knob is controlling that. In regular mode, the drive knob is really just controlling the preamp gain.. So, yes, it's an expected feature.

thank you for your help. I understand that... but makes me a lot of confusion in my mind why i can't get distortion in the american clean, if there's a gain knob. A fender amp, when we crank the drive knob, reacts with a increase of gain. with the DT50 that just don't happen in normal mode.

Maybe i'm a "little" bit dumb with all my comments, but that concerns me.

thank you for your help. I understand that... but makes me a lot of confusion in my mind why i can't get distortion in the american clean, if there's a gain knob. A fender amp, when we crank the drive knob, reacts with a increase of gain. with the DT50 that just don't happen in normal mode.

Maybe i'm a "little" bit dumb with all my comments, but that concerns me.

Well, a Fender Twin is a non-master volume amp in real life. In order to get it break up, you have to turn the volume up to the point where the power amp starts clipping. The preamp in a Twin doesn't really provide gain to the point of distortion. So in regular mode, the DT50 is kind of behaving like a real Twin would. The modeled portion of the amp is the preamp, and then the power amp is a real power amp. If you cranked the DT50 to the point where the power amp was clipping, I assume it behave similarly to a real Twin. But it would be so load at that point, that most people could never use it at these volumes.

• Upvote 1

I'm starting to understand right now... i think... 

But with voicing nº 2 british crunch, it suposed to sound like a marshall. And it sounds. But in normal mode there's a lack of gain.

and again, if i opperate the amp in low volume mode, the amount of gain is much higher. A marshall should have sufficient gain for hard rock, and in normal mode, i can't play really good hard rock. lolol.

Thank you for your huge help on this matter!

I'm starting to understand right now... i think... 

But with voicing nº 2 british crunch, it suposed to sound like a marshall. And it sounds. But in normal mode there's a lack of gain.

and again, if i opperate the amp in low volume mode, the amount of gain is much higher. A marshall should have sufficient gain for hard rock, and in normal mode, i can't play really good hard rock. lolol.

Thank you for your huge help on this matter!

Well, the stock voicing in the II position is the Park 75 Plexi... I don't really consider that a high gain amp. It can get pretty crunchy with hot pickups, but it's less saturated than people may think. I actually think it gets to a bigger overall issue. People often assume that more gain is used on recordings than actually was. You actually need less saturation than you think to get some pretty heavy-sounding tones.

I think the major problem is that i want to make sounds that the voicings aren't able to do. LOLOL. i want gain where gain isn't suposed to be.

Thank you for your help one more time. your thoughts and oppinions really help me understand.

I'm goin' to buy the POD HD500X to put togheter with the amp, and i expect to solve all my gain issues! lolol. particullarly with marshall voicings jcm800.

I think the major problem is that i want to make sounds that the voicings aren't able to do. LOLOL. i want gain where gain isn't suposed to be.

Thank you for your help one more time. your thoughts and oppinions really help me understand.

I'm goin' to buy the POD HD500X to put togheter with the amp, and i expect to solve all my gain issues! lolol. particullarly with marshall voicings jcm800.

Have you installed the 2.0 update for the DT? It gives you access to all the voicings that are available with the HD500X. You have to use MIDI to do it, but  you can do it. It's definitely easier with the 500X, but you do have to option to access those voicings without it.

No, i haven't. But i'll do it. or will get the POD really soon. I expect...

The new firmware is only to get those models? or fix some other issues?

No bug fixes that I'm aware of - it opens up the other voicings and gives you access to some other settings as well: http://line6.com/dtv2update/

Well, the stock voicing in the II position is the Park 75 Plexi... I don't really consider that a high gain amp. It can get pretty crunchy with hot pickups, but it's less saturated than people may think. I actually think it gets to a bigger overall issue. People often assume that more gain is used on recordings than actually was. You actually need less saturation than you think to get some pretty heavy-sounding tones.

I had to kind of figure this one out myself as well. I had experice before going to modelling with some real Marshall Amps but they were JCM900 and DSL 2000s, which are very different Amps than the old Plexi, I had always hear some much about.  But it's not the overall gain from the amp that people like from those Plexi's, its the overall voicing. For the higher gain stuff they are putting a gain pedal in front of the amp as well as turning the drive up a lot. Right now one of my fav patches is a Plexi Jump with a overdrive in front of it with the drive and output of the overdrive all the way up. It's gets quite heavy sounding but just has something more musical about it to me. A tube screamer in front of most amps has sort musical sound to it as well, which explains the enduring poplularity with the tube screamer and it's thousands of clone various. 

Another thing I discovered since moving to the modelling stuff is play with the cabs. A T75 breaks up much differently than a V30 or 25.