Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

M20D stuck on boot screen

For the 2nd time in a year I cannot boot my M20D.  When I fire it up, first the Line6 logo appears for a moment and then the screen with the spinning boot-up icon appears.  I left it on for about 30 minutes and it never resolved booting, it just remains on the boot screen with the spinning logo.  I shut it off, waited about 10 seconds, then tried again.  Same deal.  I tried 4 times, over about 2 hours, to get the M20D to boot. I tried with and without the SD card plugged in.  I am not using wireless and am powering the unit through a nice power conditioner. I am on firmware 1.20.  I have about 8 mics plugged into the unit, where they have been plugged in for about 4 months without ever having been removed.  It has booted up just fine in this configuration twice a week for the last 4 months.

Has anyone else had their M20D get stuck while booting up?  Any known remedies for this issue?

Mine gets stuck like that when my SD card is in... but you already tried taking yours out...  Sorry...  Not much help.  Maybe try to reinstall the 1.20 firmware...

I noticed this issue was only there once i updated to 1.20  never happened in 1.10.  

I had similar problems; but mine was stuck from day one, and ended up getting sent back to Sweetwater as being a hardware issue.

One thing that sometimes worked for me was to boot into the 'calibration mode', and redo the touch screen calibrate process.

Seems like yours is stuck somewhere before where mine got stuck though - mine loaded up, just the touch screen didn't respond at all.

I don't remember right now what the process is to get into that calibration mode though..

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Yes had my stage scape two days worked fine but went to turn it on and its stuck in same boot mode, will not load at all. Did factory restore, also downloaded updated firmware onto SD card as instructed by line6 support and installed it but once again it will not load it is frozen in boot screen. This is crazy and has us worried about even using this mixer in live performances. No one seems to know how to fix this issue.

If a firmware reinstall did not fix the problem it is likely a hardware issue. Since you've only had it a short time, take it back for replacement. Or if you bought it used take it to an authorized Line 6 service centre for repair.

• 1 month later...

What to do if you have it only sometimes?
Mostly all is fine, but sometimes the stage-screen appears and the last setup is not loading. All harware is frozen in this moment.

The only thing left to do is a restart and hope. Mostly it works after a second or a third restart, but I have a anxious Feeling.

Can I do something?

Hi,

Since today all was fine with the M20d, but

today (19 Apr 2015) just turn on the device & the screen was loading for a long time without do nothing.
Only the loading cursor was going round and round and nothing happends.

Turn on and off but the same issue. When I bought the device, I did the update to version 1.20, The purchase was made on 26th of August 2014 from Thomann.de

I am from Greece, what you suggest me to do?

Here is a link to see: https://youtu.be/1gJjC8jpJ3E

• 3 months later...

This issue has been happening here for the past 6 months and has gotten more frequent. So far the response from Line 6 and authorize service centers is "we have no idea what this is until we take a look at it and it's going to cost you $90 per hour".

Extremely disappointed with this service and such a limited warranty on an expensive and critical piece of hardware for a small non-profit performance venue.

Did any of you ever get feedback on the root cause of this issue? If it's a hardware fault, then sure I'm happy to send it in for repair however since it's so intermittent, I don't want the technician to assume it's functioning fine and send it back without repair if it boots up on first try on their bench. 

• 5 years later...

Hi, 
I got my M20d in May 2013. So far it worked well. It was used for performances as well. It's on firmware 1.20 since long. Sometimes it got stuck while booting/starting, but after switching it off it started correctly. I could rely on it.
Now since few weeks this problem is more frequently. Now it is only booting, does not get stuck, but does not boot the scenes. You can select a scene, but you cannot load it.
I know this thread is already "old", but did anybody get any feedback about the reason of the problem and how to fix it?
Otherwise I guess I only can use it as door stopper from now on... ;o)
thank you!

I think the majority of the other threads mentioned to first attempt to open it up and check that the ribbon cables were all securely in place. There seemed to be some consensus in a range of build periods where the ribbon cables would work loose over time and a multitude of problems came up simply because of that ribbon. It didn't seem to be on early build units but on later units (I want to say post-Yamaha purchase?)

• 1 month later...

...I opened it, and checked the ribbon cables. All in place. Still not booting correctly.
After that I did a reset of the device. I should have done that first   ;o)   now it is working well again.
Means I can create scenes and save it, and they are there after it is switched off and restarted. As of the moment reliably.

• 1 year later...

I know this is very late compared to the date of this thread. But what worked for me in the same situation (firmware 1.20, wouldn't boot past spinner screen) was to turn off the unit, and restart with the SETUP button held down. This starts up into a mode where you can calibrate and test the touchscreen. I didn't do anything else. I just turned the unit off at that point, and restarted, and this time voila, startup finished normally. I've rebooted many times since then with no issues. Hope this helps someone. 

• Like 1