Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Goodbye Line 6

WithALoudNoise

They say, "fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me." Well, sorry to say, Line 6 has done it to me thrice.

Started with a Pod XT, which ended up in a very questionable shop in Massachusetts and was finally returned to me after more than six weeks. I went on to a Pod X3 floor unit which, after less than a year also had to be repaired. Now my HD500X won't boot up and it is at the repair shop, fortunately again under warranty.

I will be selling the HD, losing money on Line 6 equipment once again. I really want to keep it. I like it, I like the software, I like the interface. I just can't trust it in a live situation. The stuff breaks.

Please convince me why I should keep this thing and continue to purchase Line 6 equipment.

Wrong forum.. Post this in the HD forum since that's where your gripe lies.

They will tell you the same thing there I'm telling you here:

Guess it's not the product for you.  Move on and good luck with your future purchases.

I'd question your treatment of gear if you've had 3 different items all fail.  What's the common factor in all 3 products? 

That said, I hope you find something that better suits your uses.  Sorry for your bad luck.

• Downvote 1

Nope, no gremlins. And all my gear is treated with the utmost care. This was all smoke free studio gear. The HD I had only used about ten times before it died, and I know I am not alone in having these issues. I have found post after post of others having similar issues with line 6 gear.

It could be the shop where you buy it has many defective units. The HD500 is the second Line 6 unit I've bought (the first was a Pod Xt more or less 10 years ago) and never had any hardware problems until recently, after 3 years of use

Similar post but different result.

I played a gig with my PODHD and noticed a 60hz hum in my speakers.  Nothing terrible and I figured it was just something at that venue that was causing some interference and went ahead and played the gig.  The next day when I plugged in my PODHD, the hum was still there.  In the headphones it sounded fine but the 1/4 outputs had the hum.  Also my bass player said one of his stomp boxes got zapped at the gig and blew out, but all his other stomp boxes worked fine.

The PODHD was out of warrant but I looked on the Line6 website for an authorized repair center.  Found one a reasonable distance away and took it to them.  5 days later it was fixed and good as new for only $120.  I couldn't be happier.

There's nothing wrong with the gear, it works great.  Buy a $10 outlet checker and maybe a power conditioner.  I've not only worked in studios but help build one.  Just because it's a studio doesn't mean the power is perfect or doesn't have the occasional problem.  Every place at some time will experience some sort of power issue.  Sounds like you've been very unlucky with power but the blame isn't on Line6.

Maybe you need a Snicker's bar.  Or better yet, buy an AXE FX for $3k and when it gets zapped you'll really be pissed.

I think it is a common problem with modern electronic equipment.  It is pretty much all mass produced over in China - the QC is probably not what used to be applied to electronic equipment years ago - and they sell so much of it that they can probably take a hit on a higher failure rate than before - and most of it probably makes it past the 1 year guarantee mark anyway so they can put up with the small percentage that comes back for repair or replacement.  

I think you have been unfortunate that all 3 of your Line 6 purchases have had issues, but I have actually had issues with probably half of my Line 6 gear within warranty periods and thankfully Line 6 have fixed all the issues.  It's frustrating that I had to encounter the problems and be without the gear while they got fixed but they always sorted the problem.   So I continue to take my chances and continue to buy their stuff.    I just accept that I no longer live in a world where I can expect electronic equipment to be always be 100% reliable all the time.   Just as an aside, my wife had a brand new iPad that just died after 3 months - it was well looked after - just refused to switch on one day - needless to say once we had tried all the recommended trouble shooting with Apple, they just replaced it for her without complaint.    I think Line 6 will do the same for any of their gear that fails within warranty.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

I recently had a problem with my HD500X switching patches on me at a recent gig.  I have had the POD XTlive, POD X3 Live, 2 HD500 (I broke the switch used to change set lists hence the second one).  All of these units were used in a live environment and behaved flawlessly until the recent issue with the HD500X.  Since then, the unit has not shown this behavior and I highly suspect that the issue was with fluxuating current.  So the suggestion of looking at power surges I would take seriously especially with the among of equipment and timing of the failures.

I wish you better luck in the future with whatever equipment you end up with.

I do really appreciate all of the replies.  To clarify, all of my gear is plugged in to proper surge protectors and I built this studio myself.  I am quite familiar with studio construction, electrical etc. as I am a professional contractor.  I would be a little happier if this had not happened with three different pieces of Line 6 gear, all of which have been used in different studio environments.  I am fortunate in that they have all been warranty repairs, but this also means that the gear is failing in under a year - this with very limited use.

It seems that most of you who have replied have had good luck with your line 6 gear, and there are no real other units that compare.  I stay away from Boss, Digitech, Zoom etc.  I am hoping that this was just a random defect in the HD500X and I will most likely keep it at this point as I can't find any other piece of equipment that is as comprehensive with routing possibilities, function etc.

Thanks again for the replies.

• Upvote 1

You know the Sting song from the police "Ghost in the machine"? What is it about you think?

Anyway, the thing is I got a mate who is a mechanic and it has come up more than a few times that certain people have a way of jinxing their car or equipment.

Manufacturers have to make jinx proof products that will out create the jinxing. LOL

It is true, car is a lemon sells it new owner doesn't have a problem with it. It happens that machinery equipment and very sensitive electronics fail in the vicinity of certain people. It is a known phenomen

You do not have to admit it, it is a tough one to face up to and it is not just line 6 products. It is other equipment as well. 

Take a good honest look, it doesn't seem obvious at first but scan back over the years, all the broken or failed gear, bicycle, motorbike, cars, computers, printers, DVD players. LOL the list goes on.

Is it something you'd like to handle so stuff lasts in your possession?

As much as I appreciate the reference to a great song, I don't believe in jinxes.  I believe in God.  I also believe that manufacturing and quality control has suffered greatly over the past couple decades and we are now living in a world of disposable products and poor production.  I have owned many different products from many different companies over my extensive musical history.  MOTU, Apple, Egnater, Furman, Roland, Lexicon, Bose, KRK, Taylor, Ibanez, Native Instruments, TC Electronics etc.  With the exception of Behringer (and perhaps Digitech/DOD), I have never had issues with equipment as I have with Line 6.  Behringer products no longer grace me with their unreliable presence.  Will Line 6 be the next to go?

They say, "fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me." Well, sorry to say, Line 6 has done it to me thrice.

Sorry to hear your having a bad time. I wonder since I read your in ME and seems like your out there in the wilderness (I know the ME woods) that maybe your having power issues. Do you use a sort of power conditioner to insure a smoother 120v. Just was  a thought 'cause I know digital equipment is sensitive to voltage drops/spikes. Hope Best of Luck to you.

I also believe that manufacturing and quality control has suffered greatly over the past couple decades and we are now living in a world of disposable products and poor production

I agree and also with zaphodboy.

As much as I appreciate the reference to a great song, I don't believe in jinxes.  I believe in God.  I also believe that manufacturing and quality control has suffered greatly over the past couple decades and we are now living in a world of disposable products and poor production.  I have owned many different products from many different companies over my extensive musical history.  MOTU, Apple, Egnater, Furman, Roland, Lexicon, Bose, KRK, Taylor, Ibanez, Native Instruments, TC Electronics etc.  With the exception of Behringer (and perhaps Digitech/DOD), I have never had issues with equipment as I have with Line 6.  Behringer products no longer grace me with their unreliable presence.  Will Line 6 be the next to go?

My experience with L6 is bitter sweet. My first JTV had to go back immediately due to a switch fault and my L3m had to go back immediatley due to some sort of electronic gremlin. Both were literally days old so a courier was sent by the supplier and I received replacements within a couple of days. Since then everything has worked flawlessly. It seems to me that you're spot on with your QC observation but I would counter by saying that, in my experience, once you get a good unit they are really reliable. it shouldn't be this way but there you are....

How about jinxes, but with a little further explanation. Some people may be genetically predisposed to muck up technology around them. This phenomenon evolved alongside the evolution of technology, and forms a dynamic relationship between humans and technology. Maybe some people's brain's electromagnetic fields are calibrated or organized in such a way that they interact with the subtle electromagnetic fields generated from electrons moving through wires and pcb traces. Perhaps there is even some quantum entanglement going on. :lol:

Of course, the above is utter crap and completely made up. Or is it?

My wife is a living breathing example of this. She can sit at the computer and follow instructions step by step and it will crash, freeze, or just sit there. I walk up and do the same steps and it works. This has been an ongoing joke in our relationship for years.

How about jinxes, but with a little further explanation. Some people may be genetically predisposed to muck up technology around them. This phenomenon evolved alongside the evolution of technology, and forms a dynamic relationship between humans and technology. Maybe some people's brain's electromagnetic fields are calibrated or organized in such a way that they interact with the subtle electromagnetic fields generated from electrons moving through wires and pcb traces. Perhaps there is even some quantum entanglement going on. :lol:

Of course, the above is utter crap and completely made up. Or is it?

• Upvote 1

Well, I've been using my HD500 on the floor at 2x weekly rehearsal and 4-6.month sweaty as bar shows where we usually play on the floor, and I have't had some much as a footswitch hiccup. Though the looper was off, but it was me thinking a 16 bar loop would actually stay in time with a click track without quantization....

Whenever I hear the "All my >>>> breaks on me all the time." it seems the only common factor is....you

AGuyFromMaine

"As much as I appreciate the reference to a great song, I don't believe in jinxes.  I believe in God.  I also believe that manufacturing and quality control has suffered greatly over the past couple decades and we are now living in a world of disposable products and poor production."

2 words, "Planned Obsolescence", and all that it entails.

You'd be an idiot to think that ANY company builds something to last these days.

I actually think that on the whole, manufactured items are probably more reliable and long-lasting today than they were in the past. Sure, there are some items that were manufactured before that were "built like a tank", but they were probably also a lot more expensive and available to few people. For instance, when I think of some of the crap cars my family had growing up, versus what's available now, I'd take modern car any day. And actually, with cars, the average lifespan of a car keeps increasing. I imagine that you'd find similar things in electronics. It seems to me that laptops, for example, are much better made now than 10 years ago.

I think overall technology has come a long way and products developed today are better than days past. I'm absolutely amazed I have a device that has a bunch of different effects in it. These are the very first guitar related devices I've ever owned. I'm having a great time playing with guitars now that I have some of Line 6's devices. All of them are working great and I've had my X3Pro since 2008 and even my UX2 is working great, I love them. Although with mass production comes some products (many) that may not make it in the long run.

Overall, I'm happy.

AGuyFromMaine

"As much as I appreciate the reference to a great song, I don't believe in jinxes.  I believe in God.  I also believe that manufacturing and quality control has suffered greatly over the past couple decades and we are now living in a world of disposable products and poor production."

2 words, "Planned Obsolescence", and all that it entails.

You'd be an idiot to think that ANY company builds something to last these days.

I hear ya, it is true the manufacturing costs are honed to the bone and profitability is a major concern

Perhaps it is a little unfair to make you the common denominator when you have ample gear that works and your removing the unprofessional cheap gear from your chain.But even some Behringer stuff is good and does the job while much of it is utter crap.

Has Line6 reliability put  it in the same league? I certainly did until the HD500. My Spider II died. Those crappy XU interfaces a mate bought.

You could be right.  But there is a market for cheap that is for sure.

They were the first to put digital modeling and FX in the head of an amp.

It stands to reason that with all that vibration something will eventually give and it does.Now there are more manufacturers doing the same

But even valve amps need occasional repair.

That it keeps happening to you when the majority of units are reliable and sound great is why I first though you were jinxing the stuff.

But it is also true that you get one of these jinxing perons on the manufacturing line and you can expect a very problem plagued product that could of been designed flawlessly.

God is great but he got alot of bad rap for the bad stuff happening in ages past and the good and evil dichotomy was discovered.

Rather than starting a new thread, this one seems to have turned direction to technology a bit, so I'll stick this here.

I wonder if Line 6 will soon be releasing an update to their m-series. Fractal Audio just made a wait list for their new FX8 processor. It looks quite interesting, if a bit pricey at 1350. But it could have the potential to pull someone away that's looking at the m-series to the fx8. Check it out

Man that is pricey but so tempting. 

Often a Pro choice with an AxeII for FX in their large rigs.

I mean one of those thru your amp 4 CM 

or even hooked up with the HDPRO, man.

Who would be tempted to get the hardware items at that price though?

EDIT: I just noticed they are missing the onboard foot controller but ione is connectable .

All great responses and it seems that there are enough users with positive experiences to warrant giving the HD500X some more time once it comes back from the shop. I will be giving that FX8 a close look though. One of e greatest things I like about the L6 floor units is the four cable method hooked into my Egnater Tweaker 40. I would gladly pay the price for the FX8 if it can do everything that the HD does. Thanks for a great thread. Will give the HD the benefit of my doubts.

Really it is just a great value great sounding unit that is built for the stage.

I am glad you are giving it another chance and I do hope it is reliable as mine is for you.

Then again, with the FX8 might be worth jumping ship for! LOL

I wish I had something profound to offer that would be just enough for you to hang in there with line6; all I have is my experience with them after being a customer since the POD 2.0 was released. (I still have it and all the other L6 gear I ever owned.) and moved up to podXT that I kept untill the 1st month the HD500 was available. I am sharing this for a reason, I promise. :)

There has only been one serious problem out of all the units. I had the CAT5 cable connector break on the xt and it was replaced. The only other time I ever dealt with line 6 was for the 2.0 EPROM upgrade that I never knew I could get, I didn't know it existed. I didn't have to know they told me about it and sent me the new EPROM, something like 7 years (or so I am not certain of the exact timeline)after it was first offered and FREE of charge. It made a noticeable difference and I was real pleased.

I have had my HD500 for a long time and I am NOT super careful or worried about smoke or seeds falling into it or whatever, and it runs like a champ. Never an issue and I use it every single day.  And I am serious, nothing has broken at all. Not even the expression vol/wah pedal.

Cheers....hey how new is the unit and did you buy it at a guitar center?

I had much Line6 gear in the past.

Guitarport, XT Bean, XT pedal, X3 Live. Now I have the HD500 and a James Tylor Variax. 

Never had to give one of them to the service. The XTs I bought used both of them and both where fine. The X3 Live I sold a few years ago I know it's still working.

I might have been lucky or you might have to be unlucky.

If you have bought all your gear in the same shop you really might try to buy on another or online.

I also had a Variax 600 that had many Problems and I had to sell, though.