Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

So I'm getting a used normal HD500. Is there any less models than the 500x?

clay-man

Digital Igloo's post maybe a little misleading.

When he says 'most users will get an extra block or two', it doesn't mean that there are extra effects blocks available on the HD500X. Both have the same number but with the HD500 you may run out of processing power and won't be able to use all of the free blocks, if you get a little carried away.

I have the HD500 but as I also use a DT25 amp I do use my processor a little more efficiently. I still run into the limits when programming dual amp patches with DSP heavy effects (such as spring reverb or tape delay) but I really wouldn't worry about it. I use dual amp patches live so that I can emulate a two channel amp, with seamless switching and effects tails (as in the repeats of the delay carry over when switching from crunch to lead). In that live situation, with a ham-fisted drummer, bass player and second guitarist, who will hear the difference in my reverb? Nope, no one.

if they wanted to, and I think without any special effort, they could definitely make HD500X compatible with the old workbench, but they do not want ..

said in non-accusatory tone, their motivation seems obvious: buy a JTV if you want to have fun with the workbench and HD500X

Yes and I think that's kind of alienating and rude. They're not getting any money from me buying a used POD though. Was gonna get one from sweetwater but that offer ran out and now they're out of stock of regular 500's

it's not anything so sinister as not wanting to or pushing anyone towards a newer purchase...

they simply looked at the number of hd500x owners that also had generation 1 variaxes registered (maybe sold long ago, not using, dead.. who knows what)

and didn't see enough owners of both devices to justify the investment...

if they wanted to, and I think without any special effort, they could definitely make HD500X compatible with the old workbench, but they do not want ..

said in non-accusatory tone, their motivation seems obvious: buy a JTV if you want to have fun with the workbench and HD500X

it's not anything so sinister as not wanting to or pushing anyone towards a newer purchase...

they simply looked at the number of hd500x owners that also had generation 1 variaxes registered (maybe sold long ago, not using, dead.. who knows what)

and didn't see enough owners of both devices to justify the investment...

But there is no investment, only a few lines of code to communicate with workbench. It's not like it'll make them lose money, it'll make them gain money if anything. There's really no excuse other than not wanting to support old products. Not everyone can shell out 1.5k for a JTV.

every time they open up the code they have to extend support on it.

and of course they don't want to continue to support older products forever....

noone in manufacturing or software does... not without a customer supplied maintenance agreement... meaning real money.

not saying that "the move" is going to make everyone happy... but "the move" happens to everything at some point or another... gen 1's came out about a decade ago.

But there is no investment, only a few lines of code to communicate with workbench. It's not like it'll make them lose money, it'll make them gain money if anything. There's really no excuse other than not wanting to support old products.

I'm just the messenger... I agree it seems simple, and was a little shocked that the functionality was overlooked...

just the way it goes sometimes i guess.

at least using the gen 1 variaxes with the X models works 100% the same as the non x....

that's far more important in my opinion...

when i had my gen 1, i used workbench a handful of times and made some models and tunings...

it was far from something i used on a regular basis.. it is killer though...

I see your point

but I think this choice would have had a lot more sense if the X series had introduced something new and innovative..

here we are speaking about an identical product just with a bit more horsepower

Gen 1 was released a decade ago yes, but workbench version 1 was still being used a few years ago, in fact, since a bunch of people seem to want to use 1.9, a bunch of people are STILL using old workbench, therefor it doesn't matter that the starting point was 10 years ago, it's how long it was still being used ago, and that was like 1 year.

but how many of them own an HDx... that's the point...

they can all still use workbench just like they always did....

if more of them buy and register an HDx then maybe you can get them to reconsider...

however... if it was that important to me to have... i'd just get the 500.... because maybe possibly someday ... well sucks.

i've seen the non-x models go really cheap.... more money for a JTV :)

sorry not the answer you want... but i'm not looking to lie to ya...

Gen 1 was released a decade ago yes, but workbench version 1 was still being used a few years ago, in fact, since a bunch of people seem to want to use 1.9, a bunch of people are STILL using old workbench, therefor it doesn't matter that the starting point was 10 years ago, it's how long it was still being used ago, and that was like 1 year.

• Upvote 1

but how many of them own an HDx... that's the point...

they can all still use workbench just like they always did....

if more of them buy and register an HDx then maybe you can get them to reconsider...

however... if it was that important to me to have... i'd just get the 500.... because maybe possibly someday ... well sucks.

i've seen the non-x models go really cheap.... more money for a JTV :)

sorry not the answer you want... but i'm not looking to lie to ya...

Well, it is another reason why I got the 500. Saved 200 bucks. Was 300 flat, and that's amazing. Should be good condition used, says "super clean, works perfect" and the guy has positive feedback. We'll see.

I've been wanting one of these babies for years. As much of a more software kind of guy I am, I'm seriously looking into actually using this for recording some stuff, something I never do with my hardware because all of my software sounds better. With this, I'm hoping I can finally have hardware that is as good as the software I got.

As for a JTV, I'm getting more open to maybe buying a super low JTV. It might not be the exact model I want, but I think I can live with it. I've seen a 69 go as low as the 500's and that's pretty damn amazing.

In my personal opinion it is the better choice to buy a HD500 if you find one. Unless you are a effect freak and using lots of effects there's no need for spending extra money. I very rarley run into DSP overload but must confess I  don't like too much effects in my sound.

For me it is even a advantage to have the HD500. I try some sounds from Custom tone regularly and also download patches that where created for the HD500x. I convert them (or just rename) for the HD500. Not too many of them create a DSP overload. So from this point of view you even have more patches to choice from.

I'll keep my HD500 until the next generation of boards comes out - if that ever happens.

Unfortunatley Line 6 dosn't listen to their customers that much anymore - but we'll see.

• Upvote 1