Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD500 v 2.32 Won't Hold BPM

antonellichrisj

Several things on my original HD500 failed so I ended up selling it at a loss being up front with the buyer about what was wrong with it.

I ended up buying another used unit.  None of the original presets were on it when I got it so I updated the firmware and restored the originals that came with the unit.  I updated to version 2.32 which is the latest but now that I am building my own patches with HD Edit the BPM's will not stick at all and it's driving me insane.  If all I do is change a single effect in the patch at times the bpm will often change to something else.  When first going to the patch it is almost always at 120 even if I saved it at the correct bpm.

I'm not 100% sure that 2.32 caused this issue for me because I updated it as soon I got it  -  but pretty sure.

Would you agree and if so any thoughts on what firmware I should roll it back to and try?  I have no idea what was on it when I got it.

Thanks!

Several things on my original HD500 failed so I ended up selling it at a loss being up front with the buyer about what was wrong with it.

I ended up buying another used unit.  None of the original presets were on it when I got it so I updated the firmware and restored the originals that came with the unit.  I updated to version 2.32 which is the latest but now that I am building my own patches with HD Edit the BPM's will not stick at all and it's driving me insane.  If all I do is change a single effect in the patch at times the bpm will often change to something else.  When first going to the patch it is almost always at 120 even if I saved it at the correct bpm.

I'm not 100% sure that 2.32 caused this issue for me because I updated it as soon I got it  -  but pretty sure.

Would you agree and if so any thoughts on what firmware I should roll it back to and try?  I have no idea what was on it when I got it.

Thanks!

Do you have the tap tempo set to global or preset?

You have to set the bpm on the device itself and then save it. Then select another patch, doesn't matter what, then go back to the one you were just on. It should be set properly now. At least, that's how it seems to work on my HD500X. Mine is also set to preset.

I definitely did not do the global reset so I can try that.  I'm assuming it's not too late to do that?

Phil - I checked and the temp is set to "preset".  Is that correct?

That's correct... I missed that you said you were using Edit when doing this. I think this is actually a known bug, or at least quirk, with Edit. The tempo doesn't always "stick". If you set on the device and save the preset, it should be good.

Ok sounds good.  I will try that and if it works, I can certainly live with that

Should I still do a global reset at this point since I never did?

Yes whenever an update is done do the global reset and calibrate the pedal.

Well one step forward, one step back.

Changing the bpm on the unit itself and saving there seems to have done the trick on that.  I can get out of the preset in HD Edit and go back and it now sticks.

However, I've since figured out that delays aren't sticking properly either when done in HD Edit.

I can set a 16th note delay, save it from HD Edit, and then leave the preset and when I go back to it the preset it still says 16th note delay but the delay is actually an 8th note delay.  To get it back to a 16th note delay, I have to change it to something else, like 8th, then back to 16th to actually hear a 16th note delay again.

If I change the delay on the HD500 on the unit itself, not in HD Edit, and save (like the bpm) then it seems to work fine.

So I'm starting to lose confidence quickly in HD Edit.  I don't know if the issues are all time/bpm related or it goes deeper than that to other things I haven't even discovered yet.   

I've noticed as well the strange behavior you describe while using hd edit. I've since stopped using that function on the device and instead directly enter the millisecond value. Doing this seems to have no strange effects. In the past, I've even used a patch for an extended period (weeks and months), and finally noticed something didn't seem right, so this particular bug (if that's what it is) can deceive you even if you're aware of it.

It's starting to look like two options:

1. Rolling back to another version of software which may or may not help.

2. Building patches completely on the unit only going forward - not HD Edit.  This would really suck but it does appear that the changes made on the unit immediately reflect on the HD Edit screen as you work.  So at least I could get a better visual of what is going on.

• 2 years later...

Question...is anyone else experiencing this? When i enter in, tap in, midi in a tempo, such as 75 bpm....it always goes to 75.08 bpm or 74.98 or close but i can never get it dead onto the bpm. Anyone have this? It happens on my Pod HD500 AND on my M5