Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Will the Line 6 POD xt live operate with a generic power supply.

The original power supply on my Line 6 POD xt live stopped working. I bought a generic power supply fit the same power rating, ie 9V 2000ma, and it will power on the unit but the unit will not work. It was working fine before the power supply blew. Do I have to have an original Line 6 power supply in order fo the unit to actually work?

• Downvote 1

Yeah, I got an AC power supply. The generic one I bought has exactly the same specs as the original, and as I said, it will power up the unit. But it just will not work. I connected it by USB to my computer and flashed it, then uploaded the updates, and reset it the original specs. I also calibrated the pedal while I was at it. The computer recognized the unit, and the updates were completed, so I'm pretty sure the unit isn't blown. I read on another forum that if I get an original power supply it will solve the problem. So, I'm thinking there may be a reason the unit won't recognize the generic power supply, of maybe the onboard computer just doesn't support anything other than the original. BTW, the same thing happened with Digitech pedal. The original power supply works the unit fine, but a generic one powers it up but won't let it function. I've worked with electricity for years, and this is new to me. Unless, as I said, the onboard computers in these board just won't support generic power supplies.

Thanks for the replies.

That's what I've always thought, but it's just not working in this particular instance. And yeah, the tip polarity might have some kind of effect, but it's also the same as the original. Same thing with the Digitech board. Gotta admit it has me stumped, and as I said, I've worked with electricity for years. I'm like you, I've always thought a power supply was a power supply and a replacement should work if it has the same specs. Wonder if someone from Line 6 would know for sure?

Oh, and thanks again.

Guess I'll take it to Guitar Center and try a Line 6 power supply on it, and if it works, I'll just buy that one. I'll still have a 9V 2000ma power supply that I don't need, but it's too late to return it now.

Thanks for the responses.

• Upvote 1

So the computer sees it and allows you to flash it?

So exactly what is not working?

I know you said it has the same specs, but Just for the record, the PSU has to Output 9V AC.

Tip polarity is virtually irrelevant with an AC Output.

• Upvote 1

Just for the record. the output is 9V AC. As I said I've worked with electricity for a lot of years, and I wouldn't try to use a DC power supply on an AC device. ALL of the specs are the same on the generic power supply, and from everything I know, there's no reason why it shouldn't work. But it doesn't. Yes the computer recognized the pedal, and allowed me to update the drivers and to flash the unit. When I attach the power supply to the unit, it comes on, the lights are on, I can select an amp model, but it will not make a sound through the amp, and there is no output signal when I connect it to my computer. I'm using a Tascam interface which works fine with a guitar, mike, etc. As I also said, this has me stumped. I agree that a power supply is a power supply and a generic one with the same specs should work the unit, but it doesn't. I'm wondering if the pedal has a chip inside that will not let it recognize any power supply other than a Line 6 one. Doesn't make sense, and I've never seen this before, but I suppose it's possible.

As II also said, I have this exact same problem with a Digitech unit. The original power supply will work the unit just fine, but a generic power supply will power it up, but it will not work. And yes, it does have the EXACT same specs as the original.

So far, nobody has been able to explain it.

BTW, I spent several years wiring TVA substation buildings, which had a couple of hundred components and up to 7 or 8 miles of wire. By trade, before I retired I was an industrial engineer with a major appliance company. I'm only posting this so you will know that I actually do know how to check the specs on a power supply. I just don't understand how this particular problem in happening.

Thanks again.

Hmmmm - no ones questioniing your creds my man.

The L6 PS doesn't have any secret chips they are mass produced like the rest of them. I would say based upon having the same issue with the Digitech MFX that its probably a faulty generic PS. I have used the odd generic PS with GNXs over the years.

TIP: for any one out there:  use a grey sharpie to write what the PS is for :)  

Its crazy but as Sherlock said If the problem cannot be solved with the rational we must assume the irrational (or something like that).

-B

I just took apart my original power supply (trying to determine if that's the fault in my current problem), and it's very straightforward.  Wires off the AC plug entering transformer, wires to the 9v tip coming off the transformer.  No board, no visible regulators (it's conceivably possible that the actual transformer has a 7809 in the cavity somewhere, but I'd doubt it).  It's for all intents and purposes a very generic 9v power supply.  In fact, it provides 3000mA when the board minimum is 2000mA. 

In my case, my problem isn't the power supply.  It is wired correctly and tests fine...  My board won't turn on at all.   A few months back, I replaced the input jack.  (I build PCBs for a living, so no sweat, there).  That worked till just recently, now the cpu is getting no power.  Time to start tracing circuits. 

Harpe41, My guess is, if it's powering the CPU, that something is blown between the CPU and the outputs.  That could have happened when the original PS died on you.  A blown resistor on the way to the outputs is enough to interrupt signal flow.  Finding it... replacing it... that's trickier. 

As tempting a getting a generic PS adapter seems, it's best to just get the correct one. Some devices are more picky than others, and when that's the case you need the correct adapter. I blew my portable amp by doing what you did. No more jamming on the go for me.