Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD HD 500 distortion problems

JohnnyMP

Hi everybody!

I have a POD HD 500 since some years ago and I can't find the way to get some decent distortions.

I have tried a lot of combinations, and...no good results (connecting by line, to amp in, etc.)

I think that has a factory fail, because it's impossible to sound like this.

This is the last thing I tried, and here I put the audios:

Connected to a PC via USB, output set in studio/direct mode and the selector in "line".

All the knobs at the medium position.

Please listen the result and help me if you can...thank you!

1st audio: Bomber Uber 412, 412 uber, 87 cond

2nd audio: Brit J 800, 412 brit T-57, 57 off xs

3rd audio: Solo 100 overdrive, 412 brit T-57, 57 off xs

There are just 3 random samples, it happens with every distortion. There are no reverbs, delays, etc., just the amps.

BOMBER UBER 412 UBER 87 COND.mp3

BRIT J 800 412 BRIT T-75 57 OFF XS.mp3

SOLO 100 OVERDRIVE 412 BRIT T-75 57 OF XS.mp3

Thank you again!

(sorry about my poor english)!

Thank you very much hurghanico!

I will try!

By the way, the same happens with the distortion pedals (I mean, not the amps). They sound really horrible, that's why I think that could be a factory fail.

Grazie mile!

I would suggest you head over to Customtone and download some of the patches there and try them out (if you haven't already). When you find some that are in the distortion range you like open them up in an editor and see how they are set up. Sometimes you have to play around with the cabs/preamps/eqs and a ready made patch will get you in the ballpark. :)

-B

Thanks everybody!

I've already tried a lot of things in this years and never could get a convincent sound...and, If I got it, then change the real amp and it's start again...

I think I'm going to sell the HD 500, it became a headache

thanks again to all!

I have found that if the Drive and or distortion tones sound really buzzy and just bad, that is probably the POD set for the wrong output mode. Anytime my POD is not set for Studio/Direct and I play anything with distortion through my L2m it sounds really bad (sort of like what you are describing).

-Max

I would still stick it out my man. The HD500 can be a cold b**ch of frustration but it can also be the tone machine.

Maybe you should consider a factory reset - get it back to the baseline over the top preprogramed tones and step by step it after that.

-B

Thanks to everybody! 

I've been trying all that you said, and sounds (sometimes) a little bit better but no much more....

So, I downloaded the tone from this video:

And listen how is it sounding on my Pod...(always recording via USB in studio/direct mode)

BOHEMIAN.mp3

Any idea? I'm still working on it and sounds horrible....

Thanks again!

Sounds really fizzy! You might have too much gain on the amp or might need an eq. I was struggling with fizz at one point with my rig (no more, I am now FRFR with Stagesource speakers) and I managed to dial it out with EQ. I consulted meambobbos guide which has a step by step way to do it. It might be worth a look.

http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/

Good luck

• Upvote 1

I hear what you mean - it does seems kind of "mushed". It is in the direction of the vid's tone but not quite there.

Try looking at what Zaphodboy suggested and see if it can clear up the tone. Different guitars = different tones and patches will be off till some adjustment is done.

-B

It sounds like you might be running a guitar with high output humbuckers into the POD. That Bohemian patch was intended for a single coil pickup. If you do have a high output humbucker guitar be sure to use the pad switch on the POD.

-Max

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds really fizzy! You might have too much gain on the amp or might need an eq. I was struggling with fizz at one point with my rig (no more, I am now FRFR with Stagesource speakers) and I managed to dial it out with EQ. I consulted meambobbos guide which has a step by step way to do it. It might be worth a look.

http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/

Good luck

+

this guide is great! they should make it sticky on this forum and give this man a job.

Thanks to everybody! 

I've been trying all that you said, and sounds (sometimes) a little bit better but no much more....

So, I downloaded the tone from this video:

And listen how is it sounding on my Pod...(always recording via USB in studio/direct mode)

attachicon.gif BOHEMIAN.mp3

Any idea? I'm still working on it and sounds horrible....

Thanks again!

pls pay attention to this linked section below. Check your pedal order and input 1-2 settings, mixer settings right.

http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/tipsAndPitfalls#clipping

• Upvote 1

• 7 months later...

I also have get a horrible fuzzy distortion sound out of that pod HD500!

I just received it today and I'm really not impressed.

I tried all the distorion pedals and they all sound incredibly treebly and fuzzy.

I just checked and yes I am in studio/direct mode.

I have a single coil telecaster so no need for the pad.

The pod goes into my line 6 stagescape mixer with headphones so I chose line out on the little 1/4" OUT switch.

Any tips would be appreciated!

Thanks!

A) Not sure what kind of distortion you are going for BUT if its anything in the area of metal a SC Tele is not going to do it.

B) You just got it today & there is going to be a learning curve with regards to EQs and the fizz.

Go DL a copy of HD Edit and learn how to create your tones, you might be suprised.

-B

Not sure what kind of distortion you are going for BUT if its anything in the area of metal a SC Tele is not going to do it.

Yeah, I didn't want to bring that part up. 

ANY single coil, for that matter. And unless they are 'noiseless' they are going to have some fuzz, which will be exponentially noticable when distortion is applied. 

Thank you guys but it's not about my single coil pickups or the amount of drive or Eq.

Off course I tried that in first place.

I used my tele with over driven amps or plugins and I never had such an ugly sound ever.

It's something else. I need to find what.

Things to try to reduce fizz:

1) AMP and DEP controls:

-  Increase BIAS value from default 50% towards 100%, the lower the value and the more pronounced the fizz will be

-  Reduce BIAS EXCURSION value from default towards 0%

-  Reduce the MASTER value from it's default which will reduce the amount of modelled power amp cross over distortion, increase DRIVE and VOLUME to compensate overall patch volume and distortion level

2) CAB DEP controls:

- Reduce RESONANCE from default 50 to 0 - if you require some more "body" then increase slowly to re-introduce which also increases volume which also boosts low and high end due to fletcher-munson effect, so higher the level the more pronounced the fizz will be (dependent on amp/cab/mic combination).

- Reduce THUMP from default 50 to 0 then increase slowly to get require amount of extra bottom end boost

- Reduce ER level to 0 to remove any room reflections which will tend to enhance top end noise

- Try a different mic, maybe one of the ribbon ones which have a flatter response and which won't accentuate the high end, (some of the mic's really accentuate the harsh top end)

3) EQ:

- add an EQ fx at the end of the chain that allows you to select a shelf or a cut or a pass for both LOW and HIGH end OR if your output connection allows use of GLOBAL EQ, switch that on and set the HIGH shelf to about 7khz or slightly lower to remove all top end from the signal, set  low end shelf to about 75hz or slightly higher to remove bottom end boom

- try Vintage Pre with LOW and HIGH values of 75hz and 7khz

- try parametric EQ with a narrow Q and sweep for the frequency that accentuates the fizz, and then reduce it by reducing the GAIN level within the fx to whatever value is needed to make it not noticeable

4) Use the SINGLE input approach (as suggested above by pianoguyy):

- Input 1 GUITAR, Input 2 Variax (or whatever combination you need for your setup) - this will reduce the input signal hitting the amp by about 6db which will ensure you are not causing digital clipping to occur from having too strong a signal hitting the amp

Summary:  

Try each of the above suggestions in isolation to see how they affect the overall sound and then try various combinations of each to fine tune the patch, remove the fizz, and find the "sweet spot" for each setting for each patch.

Edited by edstar1960
  • Upvote 1

2) CAB DEP controls:

- Reduce RESONANCE from default 50 to 0 - if you require some more "body" then increase slowly to re-introduce which also increases volume which also boosts low and high end due to fletcher-munson effect, so higher the level the more pronounced the fizz will be.

I've found, here, the exact opposite of this when using the new 5150, blackback, 57 on axis, and 87 cond. So while the above statement might be true some combinations, you can exclude the one I've tried.

Awesome post Ed. That is what I meant about it takes some time :)

But if it comes down to one's ears - it may never sound "good" to one person but is awesome to another.

Good Luck!

Bill

Thanks Bill.

Very true - in the end it's down to your own ears and what you think sounds best - but hopefully the guidelines above will help in isolating and removing perceived fizz.  :)

I've found, here, the exact opposite of this when using the new 5150, blackback, 57 on axis, and 87 cond. So while the above statement might be true some combinations, you can exclude the one I've tried.

Thanks Duncann. .  

I have not tried every combination but out of the ones I have used the guidelines above do work to reduce fizz, but I accept that it may not always be the case for every combination, which is why I originally put the summary line about trying each suggestion in isolation first and then combining the things that work best if needed, but I have now also edited my post to indicate that the statement may not hold true for every combination of amp/cab/mic