Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Volume Discrepancy with DT25 Channels 1/3 & 2/4

adamcb

Hello everyone,

The guy in the brown truck just delivered my new DT25 and I am pretty excited - been reading these boards for the past week or two as I evaluated.

I have a POD HD500x also showing up later today.

But quick question for you. As I started to play, I noticed a pretty considerable volume discrepancy with channels 1 and 3 (quiet) compared to 2 and 4 with all of the other settings being the same.

Is this the way the channels are setup or should there be this significant a volume difference?

Thanks in advance,

Adam

I assume you mean topology 1-4, not channel you only have 2 channels but 4 topologies(pre-amps).  Since each of those change the class etc.. yea there are some differences in volume level. I don't know they major but I guess the depends on expectation. 

Hello everyone,

The guy in the brown truck just delivered my new DT25 and I am pretty excited - been reading these boards for the past week or two as I evaluated.

I have a POD HD500x also showing up later today.

But quick question for you. As I started to play, I noticed a pretty considerable volume discrepancy with channels 1 and 3 (quiet) compared to 2 and 4 with all of the other settings being the same.

Is this the way the channels are setup or should there be this significant a volume difference?

Thanks in advance,

Adam

Yes, they are very different. Just like the true amps would be. Different preamp and power amp configurations will cause significant volume differences. It is normal. Just tweak channels A and B accordingly when you switch between. Be cautious when making topology changes with the channel volumes and master volume up, as it can surprise you. Enjoy the DT/HD combo. I love mine!

• Upvote 1

Thanks much for your responses. Makes complete sense.

I am loving this amp more than just about any other I have played. My POD HD500x arrived today but I am going to focus on learning the amp and topologies before going there. I say that, but my guess I will be plugging it in later tonight (just updated the firmware on it).

My DT25 was manufactured in later Dec 2013 so it already had the updated 2.0 firmware on it.

This is a great amp.

Adam

• 1 month later...
But quick question for you. As I started to play, I noticed a pretty considerable volume discrepancy with channels 1 and 3 (quiet) compared to 2 and 4 with all of the other settings being the same.   Is this the way the channels are setup or should there be this significant a volume difference?

***  Something you need to know but hasn't been mentioned yet.  The topology switch has a completely different function depending on whether the HD500 is connected by L6 link or not. 

- Without the POD, using the DT in standalone mode, the topology switch completely changes the amp/cab/mic configuration.  You can assign a different amp model to each position and in each channel.  That means there can be 8 different amp/cabs loaded into the DT at any one time with 2 being available for use, one on channel A and one on channel B. 

- Once you connect the POD with L6 link the POD takes over the amp configuration completely.  The DT configures itself to match the amp model selected in Channel A of the POD and disregards all internal configurations.  Now the topology switch acts as it should to change the negative feedback loop (NFL) for the selected amp.

You were playing the DT in standalone mode which means you were actually changing amp models as loaded from the factory.  There was a big difference because they are totally different amps and as you would expect, play very differently.  Some are class A (25w), some class AB(10w), for instance.  If you want to level out the internal amp models you have to use something like DT Edit to go in via midi and make the necessary changes.  Its not that hard but isn't outlined in the manual either.

Finally, as others have mentioned above, even using the POD there is a significant volume difference between the various topology settings within the same amp/cab combination.  I is the quietest and III probably the loudest.  You will have to try them out to see what you like best or just leave them as they come.  Either way, that is what the Channel Volume is for.  Use that to level out your patches as that only changes volume and does not affect drive levels as you turn it up or down.

As a side note, I never use Low Volume Mode (LVM).  I use the DT amp settings instead to lower the volume when I need to for home practice.  If you set it to Class AB, Triode, and topo 1, it will be much quieter than say, topo 3, Pentode, Class A.  Using these switches gives you a huge range of volumes with not too much of a change in tone and to my ears sounds much better than LVM.  Same thing if you find you need it a little louder, change to Class A, Pentode, and topo III.