Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

First time having Dropouts XDV-35

Ok.. very unique situation for me.. I own 5 XDV wireless units..  4 of them handheld and one is a G30 bodypack.

I normally have my rig set up for music, but last night we had a comedy show, a bunch of stand up comedians .

I had one wireless microphone ( XDV-35 ) running and I actually had the mixer with the G30 bodypack plugged in to the output on the mixer and wirelessly sent the signal to the XDV35 reciever to my mains at the stage ( about 30 feet away ) .  I wouldnt do this if it was a music event for alot of reasons but it worked and worked very well other than what happened 

Both units were in RF-1 Mode.    Here is what is crazy.   I had the reciever on the stage for the G30 on the floor of the stage area which was basically the level of the audience's shins.  the transmitter was on the table and I had no issues, zero no problem at all..

The handheld unit, which was in the hands of the comedians when on stage which was at least a foot over the heads of the audience between the stage and the sound table...    line of sight was really not an issue,..  We started having very bad dropouts during the second comedian.... I even switched channels,  no change,   I switched out microphones,  no change... I even piled up a bunch of cases and made sure that the unit and the microphone were all completely over the heads of the seated audience,  a little better but it got choppy at times...   what made the dropouts stop competely was when i turned the reciever around so that the LED display was facing the stage...  Once I did this, I had 3 bars the whole time and a drop out free night...   I typically the sound table set off to the side a bit and really have NEVER had a droput in 2+ years of owning these units...   

Here are my questions...

1.   Is there an issue the reciever?

2.  Why is line of sight so imporant with the microphone and not so much the G30

3. Do the recieveres need to be facing the stage (LED/Knob side) ?

Possible the receiver has a mechanical problem. Or possible something else changed as well. Was the receiver sitting on a metal surface? How close to a wall was the receiver? When you got the dropouts did all green RF LEDs go off? Did you get any red LEDs?

Line of sight is equally important with both systems. When you don't have it you lose range. Maybe a little maybe a lot. But even if you lose range and you have enough then your signal won't be affected at all.

As long as the receivers are horizontal it should make almost zero difference which way they face.

Just to clarify a little: You were using the G30 beltpack to send a signal from your mixer back to stage? Presumably the receiver for the comedian's mic was out front next to the mixer? Where exactly was it in relation to the G30 transmitter?

Don, not on a metal surface, wood table. I never got red leds, it would drop 2 bars, 1 bar, no bars 3 bars, no bars etc.

I found it off that facing the front to the stage fixed it. Very weird.

Sheriton, front of room = stage. Back of room = mixer table.

Mixer withG30 beltpack sending signal from table in back of the room, to reciever on floor in front of room.

Comedians with wirless hand held in front of room using handheld sending signal to reciever in back of room on mixer table.

Mic had dropouts, beltpack did not.... same recievers and the mic and the reciever had a much less impeded line of sight.

I'm going to go ahead and say it was likely an issue with the reciever.

If your G30 TX is on the table alongside your V35 receiver, I'd say that's probably where your problem is. Putting a transmitter (even on a different channel) in close proximity to a receiver is asking for trouble. With analogue systems I'd call it receiver de-sense - the receiver is swamped by the nearby transmitter and can't pick up the more distant one.

Its possible, but I doubt it,  they were about 3-

feet from one another...  But I wouldnt rule it out...   That setup is a rare one, I didnt have the capability to run cables across the room, and with the amount of people we were expecting It was best to just set it up wirelessly...  next time I will be at the side of the room running the sound so I wont have any line of sight issues and I can run the cables directly to the speaker instead of wirelessly like I did.  It was nice to know that using the beltpack to transmit to the speakers did in fact work and work well.