Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Is there something wrong or bad about getting a DT50?

seasonsofman

I can't handle my Blues Junior anymore. And to be honest, I can't handle my Spider either! I've been looking for alternatives, and I went to try out other amps a few days ago. The DT50 was a clear winner; I love the clean, chimey tone of the third option, and the brutal distortion was much better than the other amps I tried, including the Tiny Terror.

But when I mention on other forums that I'm thinking of the DT50, everyone kind of acts weird. One person thought I was trolling when he saw that I was thinking about buying a 1000 dollar Line 6.

Personally, I really like it. Is there something about the DT50 that's making everyone act like this? Are there better options between 1000 and 1500? The DT50 is on sale for 999 at a store near me...

there are just people that don't accept modeling as an option... and as such never took the time to learn about the DT50

it's far more capable and better sounding than what they know... because well... they don't know....

many tone snobs instantly think 15watt 99$ spider amp when you mention line6... their loss.

there are just people that don't accept modeling as an option... and as such never took the time to learn about the DT50

it's far more capable and better sounding than what they know... because well... they don't know....

many tone snobs instantly think 15watt 99$ spider amp when you mention line6... their loss.

That was what I was thinking. 

Related question: Should I buy the HD500 along with the DT50? I can expand my budget by that much. 

I have the DT50 Head & DT25 Cab and am so glad I got them. I would go for it if you you really want it. I didn't ask anyone about it I just looked around and made my own decision to get it. I also use the HD500, X3 Pro and UX2.

I just used the following at a small outdoor gig (playing mostly classic rock):

DT-50 Head + Marshall 1936 2x12 cab, Variax 500 (the original Variax), POD HD 500 (connected to DT-50 via L6 Link)

I set up 3 basic patches on the HD500/DT-50: clean/Strat, crunchy, & lead, those got me through the gig amazingly well.

I am very happy with the tone and versatility of the POD HD500 + DT-50 (+ Variax 500).

I have the DT25 and I love the inherent character of the tones on offer. Linked with a PODHD500X it's possible to get a huge range of sounds with the ability to shape all colour of tones. I especially like the Blackface Deluxe model, I think it sounds bang on to the real Fender Deluxe Reverb and with the Screamer OD from the POD to give a little breakup and a Strat, you'd be hard pressed to find a better blues tone with as much flexibility. 

The amp has that real solid tube feel and punch; just like a good tube amp should and the control over the effects within the PODHD is incredible, you can re-order, layer and tweak the effects chain to your hearts content and then save it in a single patch for instant recall. All connected to the DT via 1 cable. It's really hard to think about going back to a stompbox pedalboard after using the PODHD500X.

I've owned them all, Fender Twins, Blues Jrs, Mesa Boogies, Vox, Peavey, MusicMan, Marshall...etc...etc and the DT absolutley is up there with the best of the tones available.

Gazza

• Upvote 1

Seasonsofman,

I echo what Gazza said. I have a DT25 head & 2 - DT112 Cabs plus an HD500. VERY versatile combination. I prefer the DT25 for the reason that you can push it for the tube crunch without being insanely loud. I would seriously give it some consideration. I also prefer the head/cab over the combo ... but, as an earlier thread confirms, there are many who like the combo. As Zap mentioned, there is a learning curve primarily due to the many audio options available, especially with an HD500. I also like the digital integration between POD and DT ... a nice design feature. To my way of thinking the HD500 "completes" the DT amp. Good luck with your journey and let us know what you end up doing and how you make out with it.

Actually, there is something wrong with the Line 6 "haters" that are dismiss L6 products out of ignorance. Don't be swayed by group think- make your own decision. I have a DT25 and 50 using the dream rig and get a huge variety of great tones, that get compliments from many of my guitar playing friends. In a cover band playing a wide variety of material, it's a godsend. BTW, I have Fender, Marshall,(had) Matchless, and Groove Tubes amps which I use to record, but my go-to live rig is the DT25/50.

• Upvote 1

DT50 for $1000 is a very good deal. The DT50 is LOUD. I have a DT25 combo and HD500 that I am very happy with - together they make a very flexible rig. If you like the tone, I say go for it. $1500 for HD500 and DT50 is a very good deal, IMHO

I can't handle my Blues Junior anymore. And to be honest, I can't handle my Spider either! I've been looking for alternatives, and I went to try out other amps a few days ago. The DT50 was a clear winner; I love the clean, chimey tone of the third option, and the brutal distortion was much better than the other amps I tried, including the Tiny Terror.

But when I mention on other forums that I'm thinking of the DT50, everyone kind of acts weird. One person thought I was trolling when he saw that I was thinking about buying a 1000 dollar Line 6.

Personally, I really like it. Is there something about the DT50 that's making everyone act like this? Are there better options between 1000 and 1500? The DT50 is on sale for 999 at a store near me...

I worked my purchase backwards; but came to the same / similar conclusion (went with the DT25 combo). I had bought the HD500 when it was first released, finally got my DT25 earlier this year. 

There are a plethora of amp options in the $1,000-$1,500 price point; that's not really the point though; there are ZERO other options which can do that the DT series of amps can do when you connect an HD500 to the amp using Line6Link. 

I think that reaction for some people is coming from the concept of digital modeled pre-amps in the DT. The power amp however, is 100% Bogner. And the switching is analog. Meaning, when you change amp models with an HD500 which is linked to a DT amp, it triggers analog relays to reconfigure the power amp portion to become those amps. The pre-amps are still all digital no matter how you connect to the amp.

And it does sound amazing without using the HD500 as a controller. It just opens up a ton of configuration potential when you link with the HD floorboard.

With the most recent firmware update to the DT series they give you the option to swap out the digital preamp portions that are "onboard" the amp; however, it involves using a MIDI interface and a computer. Pick the amp models you like the most and put those on the DT (if you are not using it with an HD500)

When using it with the HD500, the entire selection of HD amp models is available. The configuration is a bit different than using the HD500 by itself; it uses what they call PRE versions of the amp models, which contain only the preamp part of the amp model. The Bogner part of the DT amp generates the power amp tones, which the HD500 can also model when you are for example running XLR direct to a mixer or PA.

The XLR out from the DT is solid, and is "mic level" not line level, so it acts like a mic in front of an amp when you send it to the main mixer / FOH / soundguy / recording, etc. It doesn't give you the mic model options on the DT itself, and I don't know whether it corresponds to the mic model settings in the HD500 when it's linked like that - it defaults to combo/poweramp when you Line6Link to the DT, which disables the mic model portion of the HD500 process. I think it's a good tone coming from the XLR out DI in the DT, so I never worried about it much.

I tended to endlessly tweak setting with the HD500 when I was using it in studio/direct mode, whereas when I use it with the DT25, I end up just playing, because it sounds fine without all the extra tweaking.

To answer your original question "is there something wrong/bad about getting a DT50?". Yes. It's damn heavy! But, that's the price you pay for a nice all-tube amp. Now, where's my roadie....

Excellent point! The DT25 is lighter than the DT50, and it's dang weighty. The DT50 2x12 is really heavy. Worth taking a gander at the two-part options; the head and cab at least make the weight two parts and more portable.

DT50 2x12 = 79 pounds

DT50 1x12 = 67 pounds

DT25 combo = 50 pounds

I am too old to be power lifting 79, 67 or even 50 lbs up on the tailgate and into my truck ..... THAT's one of the main reasons I like the head/cab split. I also prefer the sound of a closed back cab over the open back combo. In fact I have two cabs and the 3 layer stack looks impressive to the babes who gather round at the gigs to check it out .... I just wish it was me they were checking out ... bummer.

I really like this technology of the digital modelling & efx in the POD then digitally linked to a multi configurable power amp. I think the Colonel summed it up perfectly by saying "there are ZERO other options which can do what the DT series of amps can do when you connect an HD500 to the amp using Line6Link"

• Upvote 2

I am too old to be power lifting 79, 67 or even 50 lbs up on the tailgate and into my truck ....

+1,000 to that! My lower back punishes me every time I lift heavy gear improperly anymore; I have no clue how I used to be able to pick my 4x10 SWR bass cab up by myself for load in and load out. The DT25 is pretty heavy; though my old Ampeg 1x15 bass combo amp still weighs a bit more. That thing is a beast, it's seen hundreds of gigs, torn up looking, dirty, ugly and still cranks clean and loud. 

I debated between the DT25 combo vs the head+cab. If I ever add another DT to the rig for stereo, would likely get the head+cab, just for the tonal variety between the semi-open back of the combo vs the closed back 1x12 cab.

I think If I was going to gig nowadays I would just haul around an HD500 and go direct, lol. I just love the DT50 by itself and with the HD500 WOW it's really more than I can use currently but I'm working on it, lol. I've been fooling around with my old TonePort UX2, which is still new to me. and I learn something new every time. Also,I've been running the DT50 Direct Out into the UX2 and man it sound great. Makes my practicing even more fun.

Hey Colonel Forbin you've got alot good posts man.

Yes. An old cartoon from the 70's. Google "Star Blazers". Was my favorite when I was young. That and Shogun Warriors. Classics!

Cool I will but right now I fed the 1/4 L and R outs on the the HD 500 into my TonePort UX2 and am getting some awesome sound using a dual patch. Man this set up kicks a ss. 😄👠Recorded one side to RiffWorks and the other to Audacity.

Hey guys,

So unfortunately, some emergency stuff popped up. In short, I might not be able to afford the DT50 or 25.

That's unfortunate but at least you have some good comments here to help you make an informed decision when you're ready.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

My HD 500 sounds great into my JCM800 combo/Fender BDRI/Fender HRDLX and my Alto 10 and 12 in. powered speakers.I love the options all my Line 6 gear gives me. I like reading these DT amp success stories as I am sure they are great amps!

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...