Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Four cable question

nitefly5151

If that's what you want to do, you don't need to worry about the 4 cable method. Just take a cable from POD's output into your amp's fx return. You're essentially using the POD as your preamp that way.

Now, if you want to have some patches where you are using the POD as the preamp and others where you're using your amp, that's another matter altogether. You would have to use the 4CM. You'd have to configure the effects loops on a patch per patch basis. You'd want it off in the patches where you want to bypass your amp's preamp.

If that's what you want to do, you don't need to worry about the 4 cable method. Just take a cable from POD's output into your amp's fx return. You're essentially using the POD as your preamp that way.

Now, if you want to have some patches where you are using the POD as the preamp and others where you're using your amp, that's another matter altogether. You would have to use the 4CM. You'd have to configure the effects loops on a patch per patch basis. You'd want it off in the patches where you want to bypass your amp's preamp.

I'll have patches where I want to use it and ones where I won't.  It's a 6505+, so when it is adjusted for a good dirty sound, it doesn't get a great clean sound.  So for clean sounds I would like to use one of the X3 preamps.

But you just shut off the effects loop in the settings and that's it?  That simple?

But you just shut off the effects loop in the settings and that's it?  That simple?

Should be... It's been a long time since I've messed around with it, but it's pretty straightforward from a signal flow perspective. When you shut the effects loop off, your just bypassing it as if it weren't there. So your signal would go from the POD's input, through your tone, to the POD's output and into your amp's FX return.

More than likely you have a few issues going on: cables, improper settings (line settings) or a ground loop. My old X3L (rip) was great in the fx loop (of a combo or head) and I got some sounds out of it.

Here is a link to a great ext page with a diagram (be sure to scan the comments for more info:

http://www.benvesco.com/blog/pod-x3-live-tips-and-tricks/2008/pod-xt-x3-live-tips-and-tricks-four-cable-method/

-B

No I wouldn't recommend flashing unless you have more problems, it is more than likely you have to screw around with the settings (line level and such), it should be no different than putting a few pedal in your amp's loop.

-B

I have used new cables but the hum and white noise are still there. I have flashed the x3 live and still there. If I conect my guitar in the x3 input and from send to amp input with the pod loop on the noise is there. Are there any posible solution?

You need to visit page 5-17 of the X3 Pilot's guide and go through the settings there. Obviously, over the web, its tough to really tell but assuming there are no ground loop/amp issues you really shouldn't be having that much hum/noise.  

You are using the noise gate, right ? :) Sorry had to ask.

-B

Try reducing the gain for either the send or return it is possible the signals being boosted. Try it in pre prior to the mods/delay.

When working, my X3L, would crank the input signal with the 4CM in the loop - IIRC the above were the settings that tamed it. That could be it.

-B

Finally I have understand what is happening  :D . The fx send jack is line level, so it can't go well with an instrument input like my amp input. The only solution is a reamp box to conect "fx send" to "amp input". Line 6 have put a line/instrument selector in the hd500 for this, but in x3 live it ins't possible to change this.

here you can read about it: http://de.line6.com/supportarchive/thread/53173

Yep I sort of recall having to lower the gain settings as I mentioned above. Looks like it can't drop enough for your amp.

If your amp's pre is pretty good you can always try using the X3 in the amps loop for FX only. 

Good luck however you decide to go!

-B

I'm using the four cable method with a POD HD500 (realize this is the x3 forum, but I started here, so I thought I'd just jump on this thread and see what happens).  When I change amp models, I hear a difference, but dirty models don't come through dirty.  Does this ring any bells to anybody?

• 8 months later...

you can use what I call the 2 or 3 cable method.  plug your guitar into the guitar input of the x3live.  connect the 1/4 inch out of the x3live to the FX return of your amp.  if your FX loop is stereo connect both the L/R of the x3live to it.  I WOULD NOT use the x3live fx loop to connect anything to your amp.  seems alittle to complicated to fine tune with the pre/post and send return thing.  I only use the fx loop of the x3live for 2 pedals I have (line 6 verbzilla, boss harmony)