Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Is this what Latency means???

jd5996

Ux1 into Podfarm 2.57 standalone into Reaper tracking over pre-recorded tracks....monitoring via ToneDirect and everything sounds awesome until playback when my currently recorded track(s) do not line up (sync) with all the other tracks.

For example I will have a EZD drum track rendered file (no plug in) and will track a bass guitar and the tracks do not line up on playback...I know I can manually move the bass track but that is Mickey Mouse crap!!! Why wont my tracks line up? I have done all the usual stuff like lowering the buffer...but nothing has worked...Newer laptop running Win7. Thx in advance!

Ux1 is connected via USB. PodFarm standalone is going directly into Reaper and monitoring is through ToneDirect. While recording everything sounds great...however on playback the guitar recorded thru the Ux1 does not line up with the drum track...actually is like 1.5 seconds earlier than the drums.

According to Reaper Latency is ~9.7/19ms. Using ASIO4ALL I get Latency of ~1.3/1.3seconds however the tracks still do not line up :-( I am so frustrated...I love my UX1 and I have dialed in some great tones in PodFarm but this is just killing me. I just want my recording process to be "normal" like this Line6 video http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Xwlkphi899Q...press record...press stop...press record etc etc etc...not have to line up tracks every time I record something.

I must be missing something...I just dont know what...and frustrated as hell!!!

the latency reported by ASIO4ALL is always a lie... since it fakes ASIO and is not truly ASIO compliant...

remove that crap! even if it "worked" it would not be working as ASIO drivers are intended to work.

do you have monitoring on your recorded track turned off? if its on it can create a bit of a mess.

also where are your speakers plugged it etc... there's more than the USB involved.... if your speakers are laptop speakers or otherwise plugged into your computer etc... can cause big problems...

they need to be connected directly to the UX

Well its not unheard of Win7 and UXs having latency- my understanding was it was a driver issue but that was some years ago and wasn't really that bad.

Have you tried any other DAW input product to see if the latency is only with the UX1? Be sure to check that you system has no issues (I am still running XP but I assume Win7 has a Device Manager where the ole "?"s pop up for system config hardware driver issues). 

I haven't used this program but had it BM'd maybe it will help. Read up on the docs first as I don't want you to screw up your system.

http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

-B

BTW Zap is not a fan of ASIO4ALL and he is right it is a last resort not a solution..... just saying :D

• Upvote 1

Thank u guys for the replies....I am banging my head trying to figure out why the tracks wont line up...

Zap...I tried ASIO4ALL as a last resort just to see if something different would happen...nothing different happened lol...also monitoring in Reaper is always off, everything goes thru Ux1 into my cans...as a matter of fact the UX1 is my ONLY "soundcard" wether watching youtube,,,tracking in reaper or watching movies everything goes through UX1.

BillBee...unfortunately Reaper is the only DAW I have and I have made so many tweaks and optimazations to W7 it runs flawless except for the tracks not lining up. I recently mixed 34 tracks with approx 6 plugins in each track plus another 3-4 on the master and all kinds of crazy editing without so much as a hiccup

Tri...no analog outs...what I mean to say is PF is launched in standalone mode and then Reaper is set to record the digital out of the PF software...all monitoring is with Tone Direct into my headphones. The system sound awesome and I can write midi drum tracks in reapers piano roll...I can jam all day long and it sounds killer but as soon as I record something and play it back I have to align the newly recorded track up against the previously recorded track. Is this normal??? I mean I cant imagine a pro or semi pro studio having to manually line up each new track that has been recorded or even just my garage set up....can u say pain in the lollipop lol

the latency reported by ASIO4ALL is always a lie... since it fakes ASIO and is not truly ASIO compliant...

remove that crap! even if it "worked" it would not be working as ASIO drivers are intended to work.

do you have monitoring on your recorded track turned off? if its on it can create a bit of a mess.

also where are your speakers plugged it etc... there's more than the USB involved.... if your speakers are laptop speakers or otherwise plugged into your computer etc... can cause big problems...

they need to be connected directly to the UX

I did real latency tests with Asio4All and they reported back accurate to what it was showing. The latency on ASIO4All isn't bad if your interface drivers and hardware allow the bandwidth to select a proper small buffer size.

I use ASIO4All to route sounds to different devices because I need this feature for using my DAW in live application of music online.

As for what latency is, it is the delays that happen between when the audio passes through your computer, processes and shoots back out your speakers/output. This delay is because of the A/D D/A converters as well as the buffer your CPU takes to process the audio on time. If the buffer size is too short, the CPU can't process in time and you will have audio drop outs or noise in the sound from incorrect buffer timing.

You want to select the lowest buffer you can get WITHOUT running into dropouts or crackling in the audio when you have a lot of plugins running in your DAW.

Thank u Zap...I downloaded mixcraft and everything worked great and all tracks lined up accordingly. That then got me focused on Reaper and I finally found the problem...the output in Reaper was set to 150ms delay for some reason and the input was set to 0ms...once I changed them to both be 0 ms everything lined up perfectly.

HOLY CRAP it is awesome...my PODFARM works awesome!!! I love it!!!

Thank u guys for all the tips...u have no idea how long I have been lining up my tracks manually. DUH lol :-) its like a whole new world!

• Upvote 1