Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

confused.... help.... please.....

carlos12777

Hi All

Apologies if this seems a slightly "basic" query, but after having read a number of the threads on here I am still not clear and wonder if one of you more knowledgable chaps may help me out. My problem is I have a line 6 spider 3 150w head and I want to connect it to my Marshall 1960A 4x12 cabinet. Quite simply, how do i do this? Do I need one or two speaker leads? I have read some advice saying you can only ever use two leads from a spider 3, but the back of the Marshall specificaly says dont plug leads into both cab inputs?

Please can someone answer this once and for all, and also clarify which setting the switch on the back of the 4x12 should be?

Many thanks in advance for you help!!

http://www.marshallamps.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/cabs-hbk2.pdf?d807be

Stereo cab = two (speaker cable inputs) can be used at the same time.

Mono - only 1 input is used so do not plug both in.

The switch bridges the speakers from  8 ohms (per side 2x12) to 4 ohms (whole 4x12) total. 

Let me check the head specs

Edit back -> took a brief look at some specs Run it in stereo for the 8 ohms rating. Going above the min 8 ohm range is fine but going below - ie 4 ohms - is not good.

http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/amplifiers/spider-ivspider-online/spider-i-ii-iii-iv-head-and-cabinet-and-conn-r477

Spider II/III/IV HD 150:
- The stereo outputs of the Spider 150 HD Series are rated at 8 ohms per side. You will need to connect both outputs of the head to both the Spider cabinet inputs. Be sure to use two (2) speaker cables to connect your head to your cabinet to ensure you have the correct ohm load. Be Careful not to use instruement cables to make this connection. Using instrument cables can produce a lower output volume than expected when the master is set between 6 and 9 o'clock, with the master volume is between 9 and 12 o'clock your signal can become extremely distorted, with the master volume at 12 o'clock or higher you will loose output all together. Be aware that the Spider cabinet jacks will produce an impedance of 4 ohms (either left or right jacks) when a single cable is connected, which will damage the Spider 150 HD.

-B

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, you can connect each Marshall cabinet to one side of the Spider HD150 - one cabinet will be the left output, one the right. Don't know anything about the Marhsall cabinets, but I assume they have mono inputs as well as stereo, and these need to be 8 ohms or higher impedance.

I think the OP is talking about running two cabs in mono at 4 ohms each. Not recommended.

However dependning on the speakers rewiring for your needs is do-able (and pretty easy):

http://www.usspeaker.com/speaker%20wiring-1.htm

Hope the link will clarify things a bit.

That said 2 (2x12)s spread out is a beast too.

-B