Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pod X3 Live OSX Yosemite

maxjstep

There is growing speculation that 3rd party audio/MIDI device drivers (especially those that are not Yosemite-ready) may be capable of affecting Monkey, so it may be worth it to uninstall the driver(s), rather than just disconnect any 3rd party devices. Also check with the device manufacturers to make sure they work on Yosemite.

Doh!!! Here are the simplified uninstall instructions. After uninstalling Monkey, I suggest uninstalling ALL AVID Drivers and software if possible (back up your personal files first), even if you're not actively using the AVID drivers and/or hardware. Hezul's test results and other comments surrounding AVID products are driving my suggestion. Monkey should then be installed afterwards. Please let me know the results.

DeletingMonkeySupportFilesOSX.pdf

Ahh, I went into the other library folder last time I tried. I followed these fool proof instructions, and curiously enough, my monkey folder in my line 6 folder was empty, and I had no line 6 files in my preferences, besides the file the instructions said its not necessary to delete, but it's ok to do so. I deleted the empty monkey folder and still have the same problem.

I did notice digidesign drivers during my time in the library folder that I didn't know I have. My pod is up and running just fine again, and I don't want to go through the lengthy process of uninstalling everything avid/digidesign on my computer to see if that solves the problem. Hopefully when pro tools updates to support Yosemite, this whole thing will be sorted out.

I tried using parallels for gearbox in windows but no joy.  Parallels will not access the X3 directly.  I have windows in a bootcamp partition and reboot into windows when I want to edit tones.  It's a P.I.T.A. but it is a workaround.

That seems like a terrible fix, even if it did fix the monkey problem, it would likely wreck havoc across a lot of your programs and even the system as a whole. Not worth it in my opinion.

I'm surprised there's no word from line 6 regarding this problem yet, as it is probably affecting every x3 user who connects to their macs with Yosemite. According to another poster, it is even affecting pod HD users. Although MacBook speakers are great laptop speakers, I would never use them to mix. I need my pod to play audio through my monitors. If this is not fixed soon, I will need to buy a new interface, and I can assure you it won't be made by line 6. I've had my eye on the HD series for awhile, but if they don't work with macs anymore, I can't use them.

Racing off with the latest greatest gadget or iPad attachment seems to rule the roost more than classic customers....  If line6 don't remedy this I'm ebaying my Line6 stuff and finding another company....

For those who have asked, Gearbox has not been developed since Lion (10.7). It may have worked with later versions of OSX, but that was by coincidence and not by design. It has been listed as a Legacy product for some time now at http://line6.com/legacy/. There are no plans to develop it further.

As Line6Tony says, Gearbox has been placed as a Legacy product for quite a while now with no plans to develop it any further. 

However, I hope that Line 6 will make the investment into Gearbox after hearing that there are so many people still using the X3. We all have our reasons for not going to the HD platform. My reason for not going to the HD platform is because of the lack of bass amp/cab modeling. It seems that Line 6 has abandoned the bass players. I'm sure it was a business/financial decision.  As time went on the Bass Variax and Bass POD models were discontinued. 

My hope, and I may be naive to think this, is that Line 6 will start to restart their Bass effects and Amp/Cab models in their HD line, but until this happens Gearbox should be updated to support the bass players and those who are still using the X3 and Xt models. 

Do those who make the decisions read these forums? Is there another place to voice our options and suggestions?

Line 6 doesn't give a ... to our problem. It is the reason why they don't give us any issues.... GEARBOX is not made and update anymore... that's it! They just want us to buy new HD devices. Then after a few years they will say that HD are not upgrade anymore to make us buy another new one etcetera ....They think that musicians are full of money...  :D

I just want to tell them that all of my OLD Native Instrument softwares are working very well with Yosemite and they are not saying that's Apple fault like I read above .... 

I thought that Apple plus Line 6 would be a great choice for music players and recordings... I'm finally understanding that's totally wrong ... Others are finally more professional than Line 6... Guys think about it!

It's an absolute shame that Line6 is not updating Gearbox. In this way making very expensive gear totally useless : how to backup, restore or add new sounds ? The idea behind the POD's was to be able to steer away from the factory presets and create your own or use presets that someone else created. Without Gearbox this is not possible anymore. I own a (very expensive) POD X3 Pro with an also expensive FBV floorboard and a POD X3 to use my sounds in a live setup. All this hardware is destined for the waste bin, not to mention the lost hours of tweaking and experimenting. Even worse : it will be impossible to sell my Line 6 equipment because everybody knows that it has become useless gear. Next time I'll turn my head to other companies when considering new hardware. Does Line 6 sometimes wonder how companies like Fractal Audio Systems have become so popular in such a short time ? I know the reason ! No regards.

Monkey 1.68 is Yosemite compatible. Is that what you have?

Yes I have Yosemite and the attached screenshot shows it not installing with an error message stating that I have an incompatible operating system with the version of the operating system included in the screenshot. The install package appears to not think that it supports Yosemite.

On November 20 in this thread, I posted the complete Monkey uninstall instructions. Earlier in the thread, I posted that AVID software may be contributing to this problem, as they are not Yosemite compatible yet. Please remove both Monkey and AVID drivers/software, then install Monkey 1.68. This has resolved the issue for some users. We still have yet to reproduce this problem in our lab, so there is no definitive answer yet.

Ok understood it's all good for the rubbish...

Anyway there is still something that I don't understand, something I ask in a previous post with no answer.

"I'm also not so sure that pod farm 2 is able to use and program HD presets .. Because there are apparently no other vst plugins for line 6 guitars recordings what are the advantages of using a brand new pod HD pro with dry output instead of a pod X3 with the same output?"

Ok understood it's all good for the rubbish...

Anyway there is still something that I don't understand, something I ask in a previous post with no answer.

"I'm also not so sure that pod farm 2 is able to use and program HD presets .. Because there are apparently no other vst plugins for line 6 guitars recordings what are the advantages of using a brand new pod HD pro with dry output instead of a pod X3 with the same output?"

There's no compatibility between POD Farm and the POD HD. They're two separate modeling platforms.

No answer ... One more time!

I guess it's because I'm right! 

So basically there is no other Line 6 product as transversal as Pod X3 + Pod farm. Customers have to know that there is no VST able to hold those type of HD sounds… Line 6 force us to buy newer stuff but it not totally functional. Weird … 

I'm not quite sure if Gearbox it's not working on Yosemite because Gearbox itself or if the driver needs an update in order to communicate with Gearbox.

Not taking care of these issues is a great marketing tool to dissuade people from upgrading to Pod HD.

I'll consider some other brand more customer oriented for my next upgrade.

I'm not quite sure if Gearbox it's not working on Yosemite because Gearbox itself or if the driver needs an update in order to communicate with Gearbox.

Not taking care of these issues is a great marketing tool to dissuade people from upgrading to Pod HD.

The HD series itself is 4 years old at this point. Line 6 is still supporting the X3 in the way of updating drivers, it's just that they've decided to not continually update the editor. It really doesn't seem that unreasonable for a product that has been discontinued since 2010.

The HD series itself is 4 years old at this point. Line 6 is still supporting the X3 in the way of updating drivers, it's just that they've decided to not continually update the editor. It really doesn't seem that unreasonable for a product that has been discontinued since 2010.

Bought my X3L in 2010, at this point I'm not expecting any feature improvements on Gearbox just keep using it on Yosemite the same way it did on Mavericks. 

I'm a novice Pod X3 Live user, but I had similar problems with L6 Monkey 1.68 crashing some months ago under OS X Mavericks 

I found reverting to Monkey 1.65 worked in OS X Mavericks and it is still working in OS X Yosemite 10.10.1.

Gearbox 3.72 also works in Yosemite.

You can find Monkey 1.65 here (http://line6.com/software/index.html), but you need to search for "All products": "Line 6 Monkey": "Mac OS" first and the then tick the "Archived" Button to find it. I have not tried Monkey 1.66 or 1.67, but 1.65 works in Yosemite. 

I expect you'll need to Google how to fully remove 1.68 first before re-installing 1.65.

Real shame Line6 are alienating existing customers. Like others here I'm sticking with the X3 Live because of its Bass support, but won't be buying L6 again unless they buck up their customer support.

Guys, it has been stated a few times now that gearbox is no longer supported. It wasn't supported with Mavericks either, but happened to work with it. I don't use gearbox and don't even know what it is, but it has been stated that it will not be updated to work with Yosemite, so there is no news when it comes to gearbox.

If this is the case, would Line 6 reccommend me buying a BOSS GT-xx? As I need a floorboard and do not want to run my laptop onstage with a bluetooth/MIDI board. Very unimpressed with this not supporting their product software.

Well, the current "flagship" Line 6 floorboard product is the POD HD500X. As I mentioned earlier, the X3L has been discontinued since 2010.

This.

Also there is no HD VST coming with the POD HD .... There is simply no big reason of changing your POD X3 to a POD HD... If at least Line 6 was able to propose a full resulted product I would understand a little bit more the evolution but it’s not!!!!