Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pod X3 Live OSX Yosemite

maxjstep

The whole reason I bought not one but TWO Line 6 POD X3s was because of the on-screen editor. Now Line 6 is telling me to buy their newest product so I can use the on-screen editing. I'm not sure Line 6 needs my money for another unit. Terrible support for a great product.

First they discontinued support on the older Variax guitars. Then the XT and X3s. So, if I buy an HD-500X how do I know they won't stop support for that too? I don't support companies that don't keep product updated.

LINE 6: Find a way to make GearBox work with the new Mac computers and do it FAST! I will jump ship if you don't.

Its amazing how one company could make somebody contemplate leaving the whole music business. I am at this point.

FED UP!

First off, I think you need to remember that the whole issue here is that Apple came out with a new iOS that would require Line 6 to update its software. It's not as if Line 6 suddenly decided to make all the existing seats of Gearbox unusable (although, as is noted above, Gearbox has been consider a legacy product for some time now). If you're not using the latest OS, the system will still work as it did. I don't of any tech company that guarantee support indefinitely into the future. There are just too many factors beyond their control. Secondly, Line 6 is still supporting the X3L in the way of audio drivers. I also believe that if you want to backup your presets on your computer you can still do that through Monkey. The editor doesn't provide anything that you can't do on the X3L itself. I understand the frustration, and I get that the editor is a convenience that you're now without.

Eventually the support for the HD line will end, too. I expect that will be quite a while yet. But it's simply not possible for software companies to offer continuous support across their entire product line. Apple itself ended support for Snow Leopard this year (at least it looks like they're not going to update it again). It's an OS that came out in 2009. So there's just a lifespan on the software side of things. You can still use you X3L to record via USB and play live or whatever you want to do, though.

The whole reason I bought not one but TWO Line 6 POD X3s was because of the on-screen editor. Now Line 6 is telling me to buy their newest product so I can use the on-screen editing. I'm not sure Line 6 needs my money for another unit. Terrible support for a great product.

First they discontinued support on the older Variax guitars. Then the XT and X3s. So, if I buy an HD-500X how do I know they won't stop support for that too? I don't support companies that don't keep product updated.

LINE 6: Find a way to make GearBox work with the new Mac computers and do it FAST! I will jump ship if you don't.

Its amazing how one company could make somebody contemplate leaving the whole music business. I am at this point.

FED UP!

If at least Line 6 proposes a HD VST I would understand what you're saying... But ??? You are not credible... 

We are mainly thinking that it's unfounded because even if we buy the brand new HD Line 6 there is nothing really better that the products we already have... It's also unacceptable to sell a POD HD Pro with a dry output to do nothing better that the actual POD X3 Pro and then you want us to buy it because of Apple fault... Not credible again...

Dude... the decision to move to an unsupported operating system was between you and apple.

You alone (apple did not make you update) bear the responsibility for that ill fated decision.

the software provided by line6 did not change... in fact as noted it was not supported on the previous apple OS either...

just so happened that apple had not made changes that affected it...

the pod HD is a different device and has different strengths than the X products...

and yes it features NO VST... which is about the only part of your post that you got right....

but there are many reasons that the HD pods are not a 1:1 replacement for the X pods...

they are different devices... 

i'm sorry that your device is not working like it used to...

you can always revert back to a supported operating system if it's that important to you.

If at least Line 6 proposes a HD VST I would understand what you're saying... But ??? You are not credible... 

We are mainly thinking that it's unfounded because even if we buy the brand new HD Line 6 there is nothing really better that the products we already have... It's also unacceptable to sell a POD HD Pro with a dry output to do nothing better that the actual POD X3 Pro and then you want us to buy it because of Apple fault... Not credible again...

• Downvote 1

Not credible in what way? Are you accusing me of lying about something?

As far as the POD Farm VST, it's still a current product, and is receiving support as such. The status of the Gearbox editor is really almost superfluous to that product. The X3L and POD Farm aren't 100% compatible products. Any tone you create in the X3L can load in POD Farm, but the opposite isn't true. Actually, though, I do know what you mean about POD Farm and the X3L. I still have my X3L just for the fact that I need it to keep my license for POD Farm 2.

As far as wanting you to by a product, I don't work at Line 6, and I'm not trying to sell you anything. I'm Expert User here, emphasis on the user part, meaning that I'm a fellow customer.

sound quality, sound quality, and sound quality.

way more flexible effects chain, m-series effects, deep edit parameters on the amp models... to name a few.

You got it!!! 

So what are the advantages of buying a pod HD Pro instead of a Pod X3 Pro for studio recordings? 

Ok but when you use a pod as studio device you record with the dry output then you are able to modify as many times as you want the parameters. For this you need a vst instrument able to edit the pod presets.

So basically if you have a Pod HD Pro as studio device you are able to record with the dry output but then you are stuck because the only VST you can use is Pod farm which is not able to edit HD presets. So finally nothing better than the Pod X3 Pro (in this case)

not true... 

i do record both the wet and dry with the HD, and i also have a standalone pod farm 2 license...

which is better than the x3 by itself... because it allows flexible chaining and multiple instances of effects.

as well as many other non-line6 vst's i have access to.

i certainly understand the workflow... as i use it alot...

but i also always record the wet signal for reference.

and sometimes just run with it... 

Ok but when you use a pod as studio device you record with the dry output then you are able to modify as many times as you want the parameters. For this you need a vst instrument able to edit the pod presets.
So basically if you have a Pod HD Pro as studio device you are able to record with the dry output but then you are stuck because the only VST you can use is Pod farm which is not able to edit HD presets. So finally nothing better than the Pod X3 Pro (in this case)

FED UP!

Agreed.  Not interested in a company that wants money for its own interests and drops the rest of us.  I have added a link to request open-sourcing of software.  But it's clear from the thousands of viewings of these threads that people are waiting for Line6 to act.  I think there may well be an exodus to Digitech if they are not careful, these things count.

.......Where do I go from here?

Since it is that important to you, why not go back to the Mac/OS that is supported by the Line 6 products you need to use? This issue began when Apple released a new OS that changed things; you chose to use the new OS - you don't have to use it.

Line 6 is not doing anything unique or different here. No software manufacturer supports its products indefinitely across all future OS platforms. At some point support for old products simply becomes unfeasible. Apple, Microsoft, Line 6, ...... Everybody eventually stops supporting their old products as they develop and release new products. What about that great old piece of software I used to use on Windows 98? The ba$tard$ stopped supporting it and now I can't use it on my Windows 8 computer!

This whole issue is causing major mental instability on my end. I am now losing money and business due to this issue. Where do I go from here?

You're losing business because you can't use the editor for the X3L? What's you business? And do you have no access to a computer with an OS that still works with Gearbox?

I guess I'm having a hard time understanding the big deal. I understand some level of frustration. But, the main functionality of the X3L is still there. The editor is a rather small part of the product offering. In the whole time I've owned my X3L, which is 7 years now, I think I've used Gearbox once. You can still record with the X3L. You can still use POD Farm. The only thing you can't do is edit presets with Gearbox.

You're losing business because you can't use the editor for the X3L? What's you business? And do you have no access to a computer with an OS that still works with Gearbox?

I guess I'm having a hard time understanding the big deal. I understand some level of frustration. But, the main functionality of the X3L is still there. The editor is a rather small part of the product offering. In the whole time I've owned my X3L, which is 7 years now, I think I've used Gearbox once. You can still record with the X3L. You can still use POD Farm. The only thing you can't do is edit presets with Gearbox.

You need gearbox to load in effects/patches from the internet, and to make them, and to back up.  Of course we need Gearbox.  And the whole point of buying an X3 is because of this.   Otherwise you can just go out and buy a cheap Boss unit, get better sound quality just without the USB and computer control, which is what people are likely to do!

You need gearbox to load in effects/patches from the internet, and to make them, and to back up.  Of course we need Gearbox.  And the whole point of buying an X3 is because of this.   Otherwise you can just go out and buy a cheap Boss unit, get better sound quality just without the USB and computer control, which is what people are likely to do!

Well, don't know about it being the whole point of buying an X3L, but if it's an important functionality to you, I suppose you'll have to find a workaround. The fact is that Gearbox is a legacy product at this point and isn't going to be receiving any more support. Again, we're talking a product line that's been discontinued for four years.

Funny, I think this is the most action the X3L board has seen in years.

Well, don't know about it being the whole point of buying an X3L, but if it's an important functionality to you, I suppose you'll have to find a workaround. The fact is that Gearbox is a legacy product at this point and isn't going to be receiving any more support. Again, we're talking a product line that's been discontinued for four years.

Funny, I think this is the most action the X3L board has seen in years.

Of course it's busy.  Line 6 have messed up with peoples money!

Of course it's busy. Line 6 have messed up with peoples money!

.... In the same way as Apple, Microsoft, Sony, Samsung, Intuit, EA Sports, Nokia, General Motors (ever tried to find that ka diddle for the '68 Corvette? They don't make it anymore!) .... Who am I missing?.........Oh yeah - ATARI !!!!!!!!

.... In the same way as Apple, Microsoft, Sony, Samsung, Intuit, EA Sports, Nokia, General Motors (ever tried to find that ka diddle for the '68 Corvette? They don't make it anymore!) .... Who am I missing?.........Oh yeah - ATARI !!!!!!!!

Apple supported PPC for ten years.

Microsoft have had to open-source parts of their OS due to anti-trust action (some of which was around this kind of issue)

Sony, Samsung etc?   No related issue, so this is an example out of context.

GM, third party organisations exist, including new 3D printing firms, so you're not going to have the same problem.

Can I ask that if you are an "expert" that you offer solutions?  Comments that actually have easy counterarguments just send out unhelpful emails to those following the thread.

So:

Which line of javascript in the installer is calling for the wrong driver version?

Which line do I change to make it install (I already know this btw, I just need to see your real level of "expertise"

When gearbox does run, it says the driver inside the X3 is incorrect.  This means that there is, quite simply, one line of code to change in the Gearbox Unix Executable.   It would take them an afternoon to sort this.

• Upvote 2

haha....

noone here is claiming to be an expert in hacking legacy software to work on modern OS's

in that respect you probably know more than most of us...

you can be the software hacking expert...

Which line of javascript in the installer is calling for the wrong driver version?

Which line do I change to make it install (I already know this btw, I just need to see your real level of "expertise"

When gearbox does run, it says the driver inside the X3 is incorrect.  This means that there is, quite simply, one line of code to change in the Gearbox Unix Executable.   It would take them an afternoon to sort this.

?...

Can I ask that if you are an "expert" that you offer solutions? ....

I do try to offer solutions.... and did so in a previous post in this thread. In this case the solution is to revert to a supported OS, contemporary with the time during which the Line 6 product was developed and supported. It is no longer supported and will no longer work with current OS platforms. My examples were chosen to illustrate the ridiculous notion that a manufacturer (any manufacturer, of anything) is obligated to support their product indefinitely into the future. They are not.

We can quibble about the support window, whether it should be 3, or 5, or 8-ish (Gearbox), or 20 years. But the practice and principle is well established, and necessary.

They have dropped customers like a hot brick to follow the latest craze.  This will not serve well for future trust.

The hardware still works, Java and C have not changed, nor have the chip architectures that they talk to.  Therefore nothing is obsolete.  And the refusal to change one line of code to get Gearbox to recognize the updated driver for the X3L is inexcusable. 

Less sucking up, more support please.  An actual solution would be good.

• Upvote 1

agreed. so make apple change it since they broke it.

this is a user forum.... if you want support: http://line6.com/company/contact/

although Line6 Tony who is the support manager already stated it was no longer supported... but maybe you'd like to hear it again?

They have dropped customers like a hot brick to follow the latest craze.  This will not serve well for future trust.

The hardware still works, Java and C have not changed, nor have the chip architectures that they talk to.  Therefore nothing is obsolete.  And the refusal to change one line of code to get Gearbox to recognize the updated driver for the X3L is inexcusable. 

agreed. so make apple change it since they broke it.

this is a user forum.... if you want support: http://line6.com/company/contact/

although Line6 Tony who is the support manager already stated it was no longer supported... but maybe you'd like to hear it again?

Apple have broken nothing.  All errors are due to bad package Javascript and a line of code in the Gearbox Unix executable that talks to the X3 during program boot that doesn't find the number it wants.

There is no major overhaul needed, just the source-code of the executable. 

Please see home-page of forums.  The word "support" features as a header.

i've been here well over a decade... as have the forums.... and once upon a time this was how line6 did support...

i've made you aware of the new way... just trying to help....

line6 gave you working software.... you changed the underlying apple software and it stops working....

come on.... it doesn't even take "corporal obvious" to spot what changed...

Apple have broken nothing.  All errors are due to bad package Javascript and a line of code in the Gearbox Unix executable that talks to the X3 during program boot that doesn't find the number it wants.

There is no major overhaul needed, just the source-code of the executable. 

Please see home-page of forums.  The word "support" features as a header.

i've been here well over a decade... as have the forums.... and once upon a time this was how line6 did support...

i've made you aware of the new way... just trying to help....

line6 gave you working software.... you changed the underlying apple software and it stops working....

come on.... it doesn't even take "corporal obvious" to spot what changed...

1.  You have not helped provide a solution, nor are you trying to.

2.  Line 6 did not give me working software, it had errors waiting to happen.  They released yosemite updates for drivers which broke connection to gearbox.

3.  Yosemite updates are interface based and Java and C are supported natively.  Neither Java or C have been changed nor the architecture of chips they talk to.

1. it is not my job to help you do anything... i provided you with a link to support, as well as information that the software is no longer supported... which is more than i owe you or any other random typist on the internet.

2. the software did work... i've used it myself... your argument is invalid. the drivers in and/of themselves likely still work... i do not take it upon myself to test software that is no longer supported.

3. well the software worked before yosemite... if you want it to work now... you can revert... if you'd rather have yosemite... then you've made your choice.

and just for total clarification...

line 6 expert users are not employees....

what you are getting is a great deal of experience and a group of guys expressing their opinions, that tend to know the facts... (as in the software is no longer supported)

you don't have to like the facts... but they are stubborn things.

I fully agree ! You are 100 % right ! It's a small effort for Line 6 to get Gearbox working again. We don't ask for additional features but only a small driver update that could be fixed in minutes.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1. it is not my job to help you do anything... i provided you with a link to support, as well as information that the software is no longer supported... which is more than i owe you or any other random typist on the internet.

2. the software did work... i've used it myself... your argument is invalid. the drivers in and/of themselves likely still work... i do not take it upon myself to test software that is no longer supported.

3. well the software worked before yosemite... if you want it to work now... you can revert... if you'd rather have yosemite... then you've made your choice.

and just for total clarification...

line 6 expert users are not employees....

what you are getting is a great deal of experience and a group of guys expressing their opinions, that tend to know the facts... (as in the software is no longer supported)

you don't have to like the facts... but they are stubborn things.

If it's not your job to "help you do anything" why don't you just shut up then and leave room for people who try to help and provide support !

• Upvote 2

If it's not your job to "help you do anything" why don't you just shut up then and leave room for people who try to help and provide support !

I already made a complaint to the forum runners about this.  I think there is confusion about what makes an expert, is it 16000 posts about nonchalance or actual knowledge?  I think it's just a counter system, once the number gets above a certain point, you get a new word next to your username.  That's it.

• Upvote 1

many problems with your post....

it's rude.

this is not a forum ONLY for those seeking and providing service. (It's for all users)

i've pointed out in this thread the means of getting support.

i've also pointed out that there is no support available for this product.

you can choose yosemite... and perhaps use bootcamp, parallels, fusion, etc... or another workaround if one is ever discovered.

or you can go to a supported OS. (or even Mavericks... which was also not supported, but worked anyway...)

Still won't get you the answers you want... 

and make no mistake... you intend to keep asking the question until someone gives you the answer you want.

not like i don't understand your frustration... but i've provided you with official avenues to express that....

both a phone number and support ticket system.

the expert criteria has nothing to do with the number of posts or points.

or coincidentally... it also has nothing to do with our ability to hack into code and provide you with the answer you want.

I already made a complaint to the forum runners about this.  I think there is confusion about what makes an expert, is it 16000 posts about nonchalance or actual knowledge?  I think it's just a counter system, once the number gets above a certain point, you get a new word next to your username.  That's it.

Still won't get you the answers you want... 

and make no mistake... you intend to keep asking the question until someone gives you the answer you want.

not like i don't understand your frustration... but i've provided you with official avenues to express that....

both a phone number and support ticket system.

the expert criteria has nothing to do with the number of posts or points.

or coincidentally... it also has nothing to do with our ability to hack into code and provide you with the answer you want.

It is best you stop replying.  My guess is you don't actually have technical knowledge.

Actual coders; Has anyone managed to use Hopper to identify the line of code that checks for the driver edition number?  I can't find it as it is in Hex and I don't have the expensive edition that can show functions (or save back to the executable).

I'm sure that Zap can speak for himself, but when he said "it's not my job", I took it to mean that he was reiterating that we aren't Line 6 employees. We're volunteering our time here, so, yeah, it's not our job. The only reason I commented on this thread was in response to the questions of whether Line 6 was going to do anything in regards to Gearbox. The official answer that's already been given is that they aren't, and I don't think that repeatedly asking them is going to change their mind, especially since Tony mentioned that it hasn't been supported since Lion, which is three generations of OS X removed now. In my experience, once they make a decision like that, it's final. You can lobby them to do something, and, who knows, perhaps they will.

I do think that people saying stuff like, "it's only a few hours worth of time" or "it's a simple fix" are probably minimizing what would be involved. I'm not a software developer, and I admittedly don't have the experience, but from what I've seen, it seems like anything like this is usually more involved than simply a few hours of work. I know that it was a major effort on their behalf to get all the drivers and supported software updated for Yosemite. I also think that there are other practical things. If Line 6 releases an updated version of Gearbox, there's always the potential that new bugs would show up, so then there's additional expectation that they need to fix it. I think it's just them being realistic in that they have limited resources, and the best way to invest isn't probably in fixing software for a discontinued product line.

Personally, I do kind of like the open source idea, but I don't know if that something Line 6 would ever consider. I know they've always been very protective with that sort of stuff in the past.