Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

hd500 gets muddy with noise gate

idexo

I have hd500

also black top fender jaguar

I use hd500 direct(via usb) with macbook pro retina>garageband

today when I finally started to make my own tone I started with amps. clean and fat sound is great. then I tried distortions, noise gates, EQ, reverb etc... everything was fine. after a while I tried to turn off and turn on the distortion to see the difference but suddenly tone got ugly/muddy. I was just jamming on my own. Didn't touch anything else. Then I realized noise gate does this for a reason.

did I fry something? this isn't normal right?

Here's the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Jt9tMo2EKQ

move the noisegate.. put it immediately after the amps/mixer (But before any effects like reverb or delay)... makes a huge difference in tone and the gate still works for noise

you're right. tyvm. it's all right now. it was my fault. problem solved.

The noise gate is a mono effect so it only sends a signal to path A. You would need 2 gates and have to put them after the split right in front of each amp or right after each amp. The way to do it above means that the path is being un-stereo'd after the amps. You created a stereo path but the gate combines those signals into a mono signal. That's Ok, if that's what you want.

The POD HD series has a huge issue with the complexity of the routing scheme. Good luck.

Hurghanico, Thank you for pointing this out. Maybe I should have clarified because when I have used dual inputs I've had a major problem with this. If I have guitar/same as the inputs and I'm using a noise gate, I usually lose the amp in path B in a dual amp set up.

Maybe I need to do my homework, but that's what I remember.

Sorry I just watched your video now. I think your input is way too high and the noise gate module doesn't have a friendly volume ceiling.

I assumed you meant the noise gate was sucking the tone.

You have to turn down your volume input, it's way too hot. Try using the Guitar Pad.

Go here and vote this up to try to get Line 6 to fix clipping issues on FX!

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Fix-all-clipping-problems-with-the-HD500/667826-23508