These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Spider Valve

What's the difference?
by evilmikehoo on 2012-08-26 04:45:26.4410

I bought a used Spidervalve 212 mk I from a private source last year. My amp has chrome knobs, but I've noticed that other mk I's as well as mk II's have black knobs. Is this from a particular production? Also, I get a lot of crackling and cut-out from the master volume control and some of the selections cut out entirely. It also seems kinda muffled and muddy, but I do have it in a very small space and on a carpeted floor playing at very low volume. Since I bought it used, I have no idea how old it is or how hard it was used. Could it need tube replacement?

Re: What's the difference?
by jandirk on 2012-08-27 03:58:01.2180

Regarding the knobs, my guess is that a previous owner replaced the for cosmetical reasons. Never seen 'em that way.

My master pot was the same on my 212 mkI, and I had it replaced. Line6 put a lot of crackling master pots in their mkI's, and replacing it with a proper one does the trick.

Try playing with a little bit more volume to assert if your amp is too muddy or not. Tube fabrication dates/months are usually printed on the tubes. Mine still sounded great after 4 years.

Re: What's the difference?
by frac82 on 2012-10-22 03:18:02.6770

i'm writing here not to start another topic and overload the forum. more precisely: what are the differences between mk1 and mk2 Spider Valves? thanx

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.