Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Relay G55 Dynamic Range

dtenreiroarcos

Hi,

I was looking for an email support from Line 6 but I didn't find any, so I will do my question here. In the comparison of the Relays, I see that the Relay G55 has less dynamic range than the others. It has 117dBs, G90 has 120dBs and G50 120dBs too. What is the difference? I don't know what does it mean. Can somebody explain it to me? Because if that 3dBs are important I would buy the G90 instead G55... but I like more the G55 because it's smaller to move it.

Thanks

The Dynamic Range of a piece of gear is the spread between how loud it can get (before distortion) compared to it's background noise or hiss.  Every piece of electronic gear has some amount of hiss but the further you can get above it the better.

The G55 has slightly more background noise but it is many.many times less than that of a guitar amp ... which might be in the low 60's.  So even if the G55 has 3 Don more than the G50/90 the inherent background noise from your guitar amp will more than drown it out.  Even if you ran into a high quality PA system and didn't use a backline amp, I would expect that PA to have a Dynamic range in the low 90's.

It's one of those things you can measure, but I don't think anyone can hear it when used with a guitar.  It's likely your guitar itself is much noisier than the wireless.