Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD HD500 MIDI control of Marshall DSL100HR

argusvidicon

Can anyone help me to understand and control a Marshall DSL100HR 100 watt guitar amp head using my POD HD500?

I'm currently using the POD HD500 on the FX Loop of the amp for any effects necessary without amp models engaged.

Mostly :   Chorus, Flanger, Delay, Reverb, Pitch Shift, EQ, and Volume pedal.  It works perfect and sounds fantastic.

I know it's a crime to disengage the wonderful amp modeling, but nevertheless I'm happy.

I can at least begin to guess that I can access the 6 modes available on the Marshall DSL100HR with the MIDI of the POD HD500.

I will have no clue how to do it, and sure would appreciate any help with the matter.

Once I get it figured out I'll post back here to share my results for the next person.

There's several things that I'm sure can be controlled on the Marshall DSL100HR.

What I'm looking for are control of "Clean and Crunch" modes of the Classic Gain Channel, and "OD1 and OD2" on the Ultra Gain Channel on the Marshall DSL100HR.

Also FX Loop in and out, and switching between the 2 master volumes on the Marshall DSL100HR.

Thanks in advance for any help.  Wish me luck. 

The upcoming 6-button footswith from Marshall to control these functions has not been released yet Marshall PEDL-91016.

It'll cost $200.  I would rather use the Line 6 POD HD500 to do the work.

I've posted this question @ Marshall Amp Forum also.

21 minutes ago, hurghanico said:

Thank You.  What an efficient and comply response could one ever ask for. Looks like I'll be able to make it work.

Thanks.

I know very little about MIDI. I'm hoping it's easy to figure out.

this is the list of the things (marked with an Y) that can be controlled by MIDI on your amp head:

eYf9xNs.jpg

in regard to calling the amp channels, in the above scheme is written that they are mapped every four Program Change values, which probably means that PC 000 corresponds to channel 1, PC 001 --> ch 2, PC 002 --> ch 3, PC 003 --> ch 4, and then the count starts again, ie PC 004 --> ch 1, PC 005 --> ch 2, and so on...

the POD automatically sends a MIDI program change every time you select one of its presets,

every bank number+preset letter corresponds to a fixed (not programmable) MIDI program change..

eg bank 1 preset A corresponds to MIDI program change 000, bank 1 preset B corresponds to MIDI program change 001, bank 2 preset A corresponds to MIDI program change 004, and so on..

therefore what you have to do is to sort the POD patches in the setlist so that each one calls the right channel of your amp (which are mapped every four PC)..

in regard to toggling the on/off state of your amp LOOP and/or MASTER, from within the patches which may need those controls you can assign CC TOGGLE #013 and/or CC TOGGLE #014 (see the posted MIDI scheme pic above) to some footswitches.

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...
...here's the current report.
I have both the Marshall DSL100H and the Marshall DSL100HR. There's bundle of stuff they say and mention 'bout the upgrade to the DSL line.
I'm believing it's true much of what they say. Especially Marshall.
The voicing had been changed. Supposedly they tamed down any "harsh" high frequency.  I never disliked it, I though it made the DDSL100H sound "mean", and vicious or aggressive.
I suppose there's no more need to clip C19. (Yippee on the DSL20CR too.)
Two Master Volumes that remember which was last used for each of the 4 modes.
(Clean and Crunch on the Classic Gain Channel, and OD1 and OD 2 on the Ultra Gain Channel) ...and an FX Loop that also remembers if it was on or off for each last used mode.
The "new" power scaling it's finally correct. (Yippee on the DSL20CR too.)
MIDI access to the 4 modes. Works as suggested.
I tried it on my Line 6 POD HD500 as the MIDI controller. For me, I'll wait for the 6 button footswitch that hasn't been released yet.
I'm not so sure how I like what has to take place on the POD HD500 what with changing patches to send the mode change message to the DSL.
...plus I heard some clicking sound from the amp while switching between the 2 Master Volumes. (It does that even when pushing the button on the amp front).
I tried the "Pedal Board Mode", and it uh... quit sending MIDI to the DSL. LoL, I'll just wait for the 6 button footswitch that hasn't been released yet.
I hope the amp doesn't make a "click" when switching between the 2 Master Volumes with the DSL100HR 6-button footswitch.

I actually only need a 2 Channel guitar amp. Now that there's 2 master volumes I can see myself using the modes more often.
I'll just walk back to the amp head and choose the channel mode(s).
Now any volume difference between modes can be remedied by compensating between memorized master volumes for the given mode.
It doesn't memorize more than 2 volumes (there's 4 modes).
I only need it for the volume jump between "Clean" and "Crunch" on the "Classic Gain", so I'll be OK.
Volume jump between OD1 and OD 2 aren't as rude. OD2 is a tad louder, but I don't care. If I'm choosing OD2 I'm choosing to be a tad louder.
Running both Master Volumes on 10 is unity gain. (If you're comparing the DSL100H with the DSL100HR that's good info.)
The wild thing that I can't verify yet is that there's the possibility to get some sounds from the "new" DSL by using the Master Volumes as a "choke", and cranking the channels.
OH... yes why not? What if you can get this amp to burn and use the Masters to choke it for "bedroom" volume?
I ain't tried that yet. I've been playin' it a bit cranked. Heck I just only got it a few weeks ago. I'm not ready to test it for apartment volume. (I might never) maybe.
...here's the current report.
I have both the Marshall DSL100H and the Marshall DSL100HR. There's bundle of stuff they say and mention 'bout the upgrade to the DSL line.
I'm believing it's true much of what they say. Especially Marshall.
The voicing had been changed. Supposedly they tamed down any "harsh" high frequency. I never disliked it, I though it made the DDSL100H sound "mean", and vicious or aggressive.
I suppose there's no more need to clip C19. (Yippee on the DSL20CR too.)
Two Master Volumes that remember which was last used for each of the 4 modes.
(Clean and Crunch on the Classic Gain Channel, and OD1 and OD 2 on the Ultra Gain Channel) ...and an FX Loop that also remembers if it was on or off for each last used mode.
The "new" power scaling it's finally correct. (Yippee on the DSL20CR too.)
MIDI access to the 4 modes. Works as suggested.
I tried it on my Line 6 POD HD500 as the MIDI controller. For me, I'll wait for the 6 button footswitch that hasn't been released yet.
I'm not so sure how I like what has to take place on the POD HD500 what with changing patches to send the mode change message to the DSL.
...plus I heard some clicking sound from the amp while switching between the 2 Master Volumes. (It does that even when pushing the button on the amp front).
I tried the "Pedal Board Mode", and it uh... quit sending MIDI to the DSL. LoL, I'll just wait for the 6 button footswitch that hasn't been released yet.
I hope the amp doesn't make a "click" when switching between the 2 Master Volumes with the DSL100HR 6-button footswitch.

I actually only need a 2 Channel guitar amp. Now that there's 2 master volumes I can see myself using the modes more often.
I'll just walk back to the amp head and choose the channel mode(s).
Now any volume difference between modes can be remedied by compensating between memorized master volumes for the given mode.
It doesn't memorize more than 2 volumes (there's 4 modes).
I only need it for the volume jump between "Clean" and "Crunch" on the "Classic Gain", so I'll be OK.
Volume jump between OD1 and OD 2 aren't as rude. OD2 is a tad louder, but I don't care. If I'm choosing OD2 I'm choosing to be a tad louder.
Running both Master Volumes on 10 is unity gain. (If you're comparing the DSL100H with the DSL100HR that's good info.)
The wild thing that I can't verify yet is that there's the possibility to get some sounds from the "new" DSL by using the Master Volumes as a "choke", and cranking the channels.
OH... yes why not? What if you can get this amp to burn and use the Masters to choke it for "bedroom" volume?
I ain't tried that yet. I've been playin' it a bit cranked. Heck I just only got it a few weeks ago. I'm not ready to test it for apartment volume. (I might never) maybe.

I need constraint wasting money chasing gear
My gear is better than I am

• 10 months later...

Can anybody give me in detail how to make the HD500X change the Marshall 40CR channels, here is what I want to do:

channel 1 - clean,green

channel 1 - crunch, red

I want to send a command to toggle between these two led colors on 1 foot switch on my HD500X without changing the Master status

channel 2 - OD1, green

channel 2 - OD2, red

I want to send a command to toggle between these two led colors on 1 foot switch on my HD500X without changing the Master status

Master 1- green

Master 2- red

I have this figured out on 1 HD500X foot switch and it only changes the status on the master 1 - master 2 and does not change the channel 1 or 2 status when switching this is how I want it to be.

If anyone can help me by posting detailed instructions on how to change the green/ red status on channel 1and channel 2 with seperate HD500x foot switches please post it.

• 1 year later...

Marshall DSL 40 CR MIDI con mi POD HD500X
Se puede utilizar cualquier footswitch, los que yo escogí fue solo para mí comodidad. Puedes utilizar el que quieras.

Cada footswitch controla un canal del amplificador, el quinto footswitch controla los volúmenes Máster. Al presionarlo una vez cambia de verde a rojo, al presionarlo otra vez vuelve al verde.

También es posible asignar efectos a los mismos footswitch, en mi caso yo tengo el footswitch 8 para cambiar de canal máster  verde a rojo. Al cambiar a rojo, además, se activa un Delay y un reverb. Así subo el volumen y aplico los efectos que necesito para el solo de guitarra.

CLASSIC GAIN GREEN
FOOTSWITCH 1
MIDI CH: 01
PROG #:000

CLASSIC GAIN RED
FOOTSWITCH 2
PROG #:005

ULTRA GAIN GREEN
FOOTSWITCH 3
PROG #:002

ULTRA GAIN RED
FOOTSWITCH 4
PROG #:011

MASTER GREEN/RED
FOOTSWITCH 8
CC #:014
VALUE: 000

• 10 months later...

I just tried this with my HD500X and my new DSL40CR. I simply removed the Marshall foot switch, plugged a MIDI cable from the out on the POD to the in on the Marshall. Foot switch A switches to classic gain green, B switches to classic gain red, C to OD green, and D to OD Red. Nothing to program, switches flawlessly.