Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Considering buying HX effects BUT need help on a particular setup...

Jeremyl

Hi there, 

Considering to buy one HX effects but I wanna know if It can do what I want regarding the setup. 

For now my rig is : 

Guitar > Amp > Torpedo Live > POD 3 live > stereo out (XLR) > mixer.   (torpedo live is a great unit for cab and mic sim).

What I want to do with HX effects : 

Guitar > HX pedals (overdrive,octaver etc) >  amp > torpedo live > HX post effects (Delay etc.) > HX Stereo out > mixer

If I understood well I can't run this setup in 4cm because all that goes in the fx loops of the amp goes straight to the torpedo live and the torpedo is only mono (amp speaker cable>torpedo>line out). 

And I really need the stereo out at the end of the chains for my gigs. 

Any idea if it's possible to achieve this with HxEffects? 

Thanxs 

There are a few types of stereo rigs - talking real amps at this stage - one is the use of 2 guitar amps - maybe because it's a cool sound getting the mix of 2 amps or maybe because one is running wet (delay and reverb etc).

You can't duplicate this with one amp - which with the Torpedo, is essentially what you have.

The other is the studio rig approach - there you have one guitar amp, but then you run it into stereo effects post the amp.

In this model, you put all those effects you would use pre the amp into the front of the amp and all the delay and reverb (and possibly various modulation)  is from stereo units probably in the post chain connected to the desk.

This approach is basically what most Helix users use.  They are creating a more finished studio sound - some people love it some want a raw amp.

In this approach, you would use 4 cable method with your torpedo in a FX loop.  You feed the amp (with say overdrive and wah) back into the Helix and then do stereo FX treatment and feed that out to the mixer.  I believe you will have the choice of using the Torpedo for cab sim or IRs in the HXFX.

Hope that is clear.

Hi! Thanxs for your answer 

10 hours ago, rvroberts said:

The other is the studio rig approach - there you have one guitar amp, but then you run it into stereo effects post the amp.

That is exactly what I'm doing now.

10 hours ago, rvroberts said:

In this approach, you would use 4 cable method with your torpedo in a FX loop.  You feed the amp (with say overdrive and wah) back into the Helix and then do stereo FX treatment and feed that out to the mixer.  I believe you will have the choice of using the Torpedo for cab sim or IRs in the HXFX.

So, if I understood well, I just put the amp&torpedo into the Fx Loop of HxFx? 

the chain will be:  Guitar > Input HxFx (so I can use his Front pedals) > HxFx FX Loop Send >Amp In > Speaker output >Torpedo live > HxFx Loop Return > HxFx Post Effects > Stereo Output > Mixer 

Is that right? 

Sorry, but although I'm a pro guitar player, I'm really more into the old school thing, you know guitar straight to a great amp and Voila ^^. 

No - In the HX FX you create an effects path.  You connect a distortion to a chorus for example.  If you want to then send that somewhere using the send and return loop, you need to put a send as the next block in that effects chain (in the interface).  When you select that send block, you have to assign the particular send to the send socket on the chassis - same with return.

If you just plug into the send and return without a send and return in your path nothing is sent to the send socket.