Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Spider II 412 and peavey XXX head how to connect to cab? ohm?

dopesick1475

hello all, I am brand new to this forum so forgive me if there's any rules i might of missed.

I am new to 4x12s and stuff as I only used a marshall micro stack before. Anyway I bought a line 6 spider II 150w head and 4x12 recently, it was okay, did the trick but I'm ready for tube amps (been playing 8 years and im finally beginning to upgrade gear so excuse me for being an extreme noob). I been searching endlessly for days on ohm, impedence, parallel, series, etc. It's very simple yet very confusing as there's no clear answers for me personally, even the manuals are vague.

Please help me out- I just bought a peavey XXX head, its coming in thursday and i'm beyond excited, I literally can't even wait. However I'm very confused, i dont know how i should properly hook up the amp to the cab. The peavey has parallel outputs, it can be set to 4, 8, or 16 ohm. The back of my line 6 spider cab has 8ohm left, 8ohm right/4ohm mono inputs. Line 6 official FAQ says to use two stereo cables from both amp outputs (of the spider II) into both inputs of the spider 412. Was so confused by this but I did it. Now that I want to use a different head- the peavey XXX- which was very expensive and precious, I dont wanna ruin the head. How do I connect it properly to the cab? Is the spider 412 a stereo cab, does parallel amp outputs mean i need both cables from the amp into the cab? What would I set the amps ohms to? PLEASE help, info out there is confusing, vague, and sometimes contradictory. I know about matching impedance but there is so much info out there everytime i learn something new it seems like everything i learned before is all wrong now.

to quote another member on this forum who went unanswered, to basically put my question/concern simply:

"I was too lazy to bring a cab to my other guitarists house to jam, so I used his spider 4x12 cab with my Peavey XXX head. I set the Amp to 4 ohms and ran two cables from the amps speaker outputs into the two 8 ohm speaker jacks on the cab. I believe this is correct as when I run two 16 ohm cabs, I set the Amp to 8 ohms. The problem was that it wasn’t very loud. I had to crank the Amp up over half way and normally it’s only at about 3 or 4. Does this sound right?"