Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Guitar input pad/Optimal output level for patches

ToasteR1032

Hi guys, I'm pretty new to the modelling world and have a question regarding the output level for patches.

One thing I should note is that I used my DAW to measure the DI (channel 7). The output level seems pretty ok most of the times, especially when using the neck pickup on my Les Paul (average at -18 to -12 db. However, when strumming really hard using the bridge pickup, I get to the red area on the volume indicator in my DAW, peaking at 0 db). This is why I chose to set the guitar input pad to on. This way, I never reach the red area (peaks between -12 and -6 db using the bridge pickup), but it seems that the volume is sometimes too low, especially when playing single notes using the neck pickup. Averages around a little below -24 db.
Is this still fine or should I turn guitar input pad off again?

Now to my other question: I usually adjusted the volume of my patches such that they are the same output level as an empty preset (which is basically the DI). This way I can also match the levels across my presets. However, as with guitar input pad set to on, the DI averages at only -24 db as mentioned before. Is it okay to also set the output level of my presets to around this level or could this affect quality when playing in a live setting, where high output levels are required through e.g. FoH.

Thank you very much!