Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Floor with DT50

jacopo_costella

Yes. It works very well. However, there are a couple of things to keep in mind.

Pros:

1. Models - You tell the Helix to override the pre-amp models that come in the DT25/50. I feel like the Helix pre-amp models are vastly superior to those that shipped with the last firmware update in the DT.
  2. Topology - With the single L6 cable, you can effect every panel setting in the DT25/50, plus some hidden ones that you can't touch from the front panel. You don't need any MIDI nonsense or anything. It works natively. (This is amazing).
  3. Dream Rig - I wish Line6 would've kept working on this. At stage volume, this is the best rig I've ever used. However, all of these come at a cost.
  4. Complete Configuration/Backup - Using HX Edit, you get to tweak every single setting in the Helix and the AMP, and you can actually save them off to disk. This allows you to have several different setlists if you are going FOH, through your AMP, bedroom volume, live volume, etc.

Cons:

1. Fragile - The DT25/50 have a known power stage problem. I have had to have it serviced, but it seems to be working fine now. I don't know how much longer you'll be able to get these guys repaired, though.
  2. No DT25/50 compatible setlist OOB - All of the patches in the Helix banks assign IR, full models (Pre and power) and use the same DT25/50 topology regardless of amp model. The default is Topology 1, Power AB, Tube Triode, etc. This default sounds like garbage at stage volume generally across the board with the possible exception of the US Double models.
  3. Lots of work - I have created a setlist for a lot of the sounds I like, but this was done by painstakingly AB'ing each sound at stage volume with a DT50 212. 

I'm happy to provide my setlist and settings if you like. I've attached my patches and the HX settings you need to flip. I'd also love it if Line6 engineers actually had a DT50 212 compatible set of patches.

Line6HelixtoDTConnectivity.pdf

• Thanks 1