Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

EQ Options: IR instead?

markwesse

I generally play an acoustic and electric at most gigs. For the acoustic, I use a custom mic mount etc (having tried everything from LR Baggs Anthem to...well a lot). This is the only thing I have found that gives a truly studio sound, live. However because of its positioning, there is the usual proximity etc. I have tuned this in the studio and it simply has some cuts/HP etc...because of this, I have found the Ozone linear phase is by far the best result.

So

My question is for the gurus; what are your thoughts on

1. Trying to tweak eg the 'Parametric' eq model to get as close as I can

vs

2. Capturing the impulse of the studio eq and using that instead? As a sure fire way of translating exact EQ and consistent workflow

Cheers

PS Its times like this, to make it a lot simpler, to have the parametric eq model provide a visual UI in HX edit to be able to copy exact values and check, when needing this sort of corrective stuff

• 3 weeks later...

If DSP resource consumption is a criteria, go for the Parametric EQ model. If you have Helix Native at your disposal, you can run both plugins and check with an analyzer or flip the phase of one to strive for complete cancelation.
Note that the parameteric EQ block is limited by only a fixed slope for High and Low Cuts. So if precision or consistency is your goal: The IR capturing of EQ settings is the way to go.

My first thought is that your IR of the studio is just that - an IR of the studio environment.  No real guarantee that it will translate well in a variety of live settings, you'd probably find yourself tweaking with an EQ anyway.  Me - I'd probably jot down the settings from your studio EQ, use them as default for the Para and adjust as shown needed at sound check.

On 11/21/2023 at 8:45 PM, markwesse said:

Trying to tweak eg the 'Parametric' eq model to get as close as I can

I think this choice is more flexible, but there is an important point to consider, specially if you try to build your ideal EQ curve in a DAW with other VST plugins. The "Q" factor of Helix eq blocks is (much) wider than what you get with the same value on most (or any) EQ plugins. I mean that even with Q=10 you will affect a larger bandwidth, similar to Q=3 on EQ plugins.

If I remember well when I tested it, in the Helix eq block Q=10 is about half octave bandwidth (instead of about 1/7 octave like with other EQ plugins I have).

• Upvote 1