Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

4 cable method on HX one

haralemes

Hello guys. I need a little help.

So, I have a HX stomp and a HX one, and I would like to make the two work together.
I would like to be able to connect the HX one before the HX stomp and also the option to connect the HX one inside the HX stomp through Send and Return.

I know I can do this using the HX one pre and post, but my question is, how do I make this work in stereo so I can use HX one stereo delays in an HX stomp block?

Thanks!

On 3/28/2024 at 1:51 PM, MGW-Alberta said:

Neither of those devices have enough options for physical connectivity to be able to run one in front of the other and one in the loop of the other at the same time.  I'm not sure by your wording if that's what you meant but if it is, that is not possible with your existing equipment.

You will have to choose one or the other.  Run them in series or run one in the loop of the other.

Also, running the HX1 in the loop of the Stomp is not the four cable method.  That's just putting an external effect in the Stomp's loop.  The four cable method refers to the use of a guitar amplifier in which some of the effects from your processor go to the input of the amp and other effects from your processor go into the amps' effect loop.  It's not 4CM to run an external effect in a processor loop.  Running a favourite overdrive pedal in the loop of a Helix device before sending the output to a mixing board or FRFRs does not constitute 4CM.  It's only 4CM if you plug the device into a guitar amplifier's loop.  

Stomp is stereo capable but I don't know enough about it to know if the loops are stereo capable.  If they are then I suspect it should be possible to outsource some of your stereo DSP load to the HX1.

Thank you so much for your answer. I don't think I was very clear, but you understood.

I would like to be able to use a preset with HX1 before Stomp and a second preset with HX1 inside Stomp (send/return block).

Not at the same time, but in each preset I defined whether the HX1 would come before the Stomp or in the send and return.

The point is that I would like to take advantage of the HX1's stereo effects when sending and returning, but not have to change the cable configuration. Well, I did several tests here and as the Stomp has a stereo send input and not two monos, it was no longer possible.

On 3/28/2024 at 7:19 PM, MGW-Alberta said:

I did some reading on both units.

HX Stomp has a Stereo loop.  The send is stereo (TRS) and the returns are separate mono, left and right.

HX One has left and right inputs as well as left and right outputs.

If your goal is to relieve HX Stomp of some of its stereo DSP load and offload that work to HX1 it should be possible with the right kind of cable.

You would need a stereo splitting cable.  The cable I am thinking of has one 1/4" TRS plug on one end and two 1/4" mono plugs on the other end.  That cable would connect the Stomp send to the HX1 inputs.  Then two 1/4" mono cables to connect the HX1 outputs to the Stomp returns.  That setup should allow you to send a stereo signal from Stomp to HX1 and have HX1 process that signal (in stereo) and send stereo returns back to Stomp.

Such a setup would increase your available DSP.

Yes, this is perfect and totally possible!
I have this Y cable and it worked perfectly. This way it only works using a send return block and I will lost the HX1 connection before the Stomp to use compressor and Poly capo per example. Well, I'm going to have to get used to using method 4 anyway. The sound of the send return block will always be mono but at least I can also have the HX1 coming in before the Stomping in some presets. Thanks for your help! Keep rock.