Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

A Tone I have never been able to replicate.


karlrigby
 Share

Recommended Posts

So long story short. I am one of those mad muse fans that like to buy the gear and work out the tones. However, in recent years ive decided to scale back the the factory of effects in my room back down to my favorite tour setup of bellamys. one tone i have never managed to fully replicate is in the song time is running out, a little bridge played at 2:49 in this clip 

 

and at 2:35 in the next clip.

 

 

So the kit used was all line 6 pro racks at the time in this set up...So the kit used was all line 6 pro racks at the time in this set up...

 

so whilst you have the tone, i want to mention a few things. we can establish a couple things about the setup and some that cant be without tech notes.

 

now I have a feeling that 1 section of the racks above or below the bottom Midi solution T8 is run in the series loop because if you listen to the tone in the specified section, the effect is 100% of the tone. 

 

the other section of rack is believed to be going straight to the desk as matt seems to always run DI with parts of his rig on every tour. if this is true i suspect the XT pro section is the one going DI as it has the digital version of the Diezel vh4 within the expansion. however i could be wrong on that too.

 

 

I would like to point out a couple things around this tone before anyone delves into it what effects might be used. 

the main thing i notice about the tone is as the bridge section starts he usually strikes the strings which has some sort of filter/wah/lazer type sound to it. On top of that there is an obvious phase/sweep to the tone(ive tried phasers, flangers, chrouses.. and still not close). 

 

whatever it is, it seems to swallow the whole guitar tone and after scrolling through countless effects i cannot find anything even close. 

 

any help regarding signal path, effects suggestions would be greatly appreciated. below are some more videos with different audio qualities of the same effect

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 11 months later...

It sucks that no one was able to help you out.

I am not a real Muse fan, like what I've heard, but regardless I took a quick stab at what I could hear, but apparently my ear for this sort of thing is not the best. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

 

I am using a Pod HD500X and DT25 with a JTV59 Variax. I uploaded pix of the workbench views.

The pitch glide seems to be the ticket for the "synth" feel to the sound. There is also an solid delay on the 8th, and it was missing some depth so I added a Phaser - although a Chorus might be the way.

 

Amp I chose is a Blackface Dbl Vib.

 

Signal Chain: Pitch Glide set at +1, EQ+Preamp just for boost into the echo, Tube Dry Echo Tempo Sync on the 8th, Script Phase 1/4 tempo sync speed 2 Hz.

Good luck.

Screenshot 2026-08-12 at 16.13.42.png

Screenshot 2026-08-12 at 16.15.18.png

museish.m4a

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...