Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

help use the dynamic eq

Hi

I understand the fundamental principal and the different parameters of the M20d dynamic EQ

However I'm having trouble tweaking it to do just what I want:  

I want my female singer's voice to be nice and bright when singing low volume, so that it cuts through the mix.

But I want to subdue some of the highs when she sings louder.

My problem is finding the right frequency!

On a normal EQ I just bring a band up and sweep across until my ears complain with discomfort, then I know I've found the offending freq and turn it down.

What I'm looking for is a similar easy method to do the same in the dynamic EQ, so that I know what freg to compress when she's screaming!   :rolleyes:  :D  

Hi Antonio,

Just been doing that today with a new accordion setup with a friend, but I still would love to hear about the pro's.

We have made a 20 sec recording using the mixer, and played it thru on SOLO headphones. 

We then used the 6 channel eq, and swept a high Q, high dB to find the frequency (in this case the accordion mic is a capsule inside and was picking up finger fretting the bass keys).

After we found the frequency we reset the 6ch eq, and went to a dynamic eq, turned it on a tuned that freq, set a proper Q and dialed a negative high level filter, then we tried to find a proper low and high threshold.

The key point is finding this point where we find the right thresholds to dim down the offending freq and still allow harmonics to pass when needed.

(For my bad this freq is very near the instrument central frequency).

Is this right as a workflow?

PL