Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

barnsleyboy

Members
  • Posts

    41
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by barnsleyboy

  1. Just re-read my original "I'm-a-wonder'in" statement, I know the D10 will only work with Stadium. What I was thinking was when it eventually comes out and I connect the JTV-59 to the Stadium via the D10, will it then allow me to update the firmware on the JTV through LIne 6 updater? I know D10 won't work with the OG Helix.
  2. A quick update if anyone is interested, Electronic Music Services in Southend-on-Sea can do the same interface for £118.41 + VAT. I'm-a-wonder'in if the D10 interface when it gets released will do the same job as the interface and allow the Variax to be updated. Surely it would make sense to incorporate that functionality into the little beastie?
  3. It just seemed to be a long time since the last update! Fingers crossed I'll be upgrading the the Stadium XL in September (Big birthday present). OG Helix is still awesome, but the touchscreen and ability to import audio are two biggies for me.
  4. ..... Not really! FW 3.8 released in November 2024, no updates or new anything released since. Ok, I know the flagship has been released and all efforts will be on developing that, but there are an awful lot of people with the OG Helix that would like some assurance from Line 6 that their units will not be left behind. I'm sure that big E when he announced Stadium said that OG Helix would still get updates. Anyone on here got a view?
  5. DOH! That probably explains why I haven't been able to find any YT videos!!!
  6. I've had my Helix floor for coming up to 10 years now, and I can honestly say that it has been a gamechanger. It was part of my 50th birthday present. My wife bought me a wonderful Fender Clapton Strat and then totally blindsided me with a mystery Helix shaped box which really blew me away. Wasn't expecting it and wouldn't have got it if I hadn’t been in a guitar shop a couple of months earlier with my eldest son and just happened to demo a Helix. He obviously clocked my massive smiles and filed it away for future use! With my (ahem) "55th" birthday fast approaching I just happened to mention last night that a new Helix had been brought out and OMG my wife asked me if I'd like one for my birthday! I am indeed a happy chappy. So @boynigelyour original question is resonating with me. 2 things are niggling at the back of my mind, I have about 10 patches that are absolutely sacrosanct to me. If I can't replicate them on the Stadium XL then all bets is off. How have you found the transfer to Stadium of your existing patches? I know legacy cabs are no more, so before I do anything there would be an exercise to do there just in case. The other issue is for anyone with Stadium and Variax. Part of my forthcoming present is also a JTV59 for which I will need to buy the special add on box (Grrrr) so does anyone have any experience with this? The JTV doesn't have the interface box, so all editing needs to be done through Helix which works on my original floor. Any thoughts please?
  7. I'm not using the Sony batteries, I'm using a Sony BC-V615 charger to charge the Cameron Sino battery. DC output 8.4v, 0.6A. I've already checked with Line 6 - no batteries, no chargers. No stock anywhere in the UK. I've researched here and on other forums - this is the only way I can do it without genuine Line 6 parts.
  8. It would be great to use "real Line 6 versions" if Line 6 continued to make them. Unfortunately that ship has sailed, so I'll have to make do with Cameron Sino who seem to be the only people who make a battery that works. Of course I don't have a charger either - the charger is also discontinued. I've bought a Sony camcorder charger which works so at least that is something! The USB interface is almost £180 (with very limited stock) - I'm using my Helix for Workbench. Of course if I decide to upgrade to Stadium, that's another £200 add on. I've also heard conflicting arguments about windows 11 compatibility and Workbench so let's see how this all pans out.
  9. Any idea why pressing the battery check button won't make the LEDs light up? Battery is showing 8.2v, and the modelling all works ok. Would it be anything to do with the Cameron Sino aftermarket battery that I'm using not having the secret inbuilt circuitry to make the LEDs show?
  10. Sounds like a trip to see Doctor Line 6!
  11. If anyone wants to buy the interface in the UK - £172.68 incl. vat and postage. Order through Sontec. I'll pass on that and stick with FW2.1.
  12. Mine was purely the headphone output. A longshot, but try the squirty-squirty contact cleaner trick on both volume and headphones pots - it might be a clump of guitarist dander stuck in there!
  13. Ah, that puts a different slant on things! So basically as long as the 59 is functioning correctly, no real need to update. I'm assuming the actual Firmware jump from 2.1 to 2.2 to 2.23 doesn't affect the quality of the modelling? I don't really want to fork out for the interface when I've got a perfectly good Helix to access Workbench with.
  14. Message back from support: Hi, -you cannot update the firmware via a Helix ! Even if Line6 Central shows the version (it will end with an error message) -Helix can only connect to Workbench HD but this app cannot install/update the firmware -you'd need the Variax USB interface (unless you have a PODH500X which can also work, but using old PODs is not recommended,hardware support can change over the years with Windows updates, new hardware etc) -so we recommend using the Workbench USB interface -you can order it as spare part via a Yamaha reseller or service-center : QN174886 GVRXVDIUSBIF *ASSY UNIT COMPLETE VARIAX https://line6.com/find/service_center/ https://uk.yamaha.com/en/dealers/ there are still some in stock Best regards Line 6 /Ampeg Support Europe I think it is unlikely that the interfaces are still available given the length of time Variax has been discontinued. It also presents me with a problem as I don't have a battery charger so even if I connect it up via interface I can't power the guitar up independently. Grrrrr! UPDATE: I have managed to get rid of the question marks and have found the v2.2 presets here: https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=21427.0 If there is minimal difference between my current firmware 2.1 and the latest 2.23, I might just forget about the interface. After all, I can access Workbench through Helix which is the most important bit. Probably more important to get hold of a charger though.
  15. Now then..... Finally got my JTV59. If anyone has the urge to send anything using Evri - don't they are the worst courier in the world. They've had the guitar for over a month. So I connected to Helix with the VDI cable. Launched Workbench then it started transfering data. All good I thought, then looking at the result on the Workbench screen There are a lot of questions. In fact, a lot of question marks! Any idea what this is telling me? I was hoping to be able to download the factory presets but according to Google they are bound into the firmware update. I have downloaded LIne 6 central, authorised my computer and it's showing that the JTV59 is due an update. When I click on the icon I get a small ok window which closes when I click ok. Is this because I don't have the interface? If that is the case I'm a bit stuffed - firstly no interface, secondly a flat battery that i can't charge as i don't have a battery charger!!! Any assistance greatly appreciated!
  16. Oooh I didn't know that. Is that just a best practice thing? or a definite no-no? I can't see many people removing the battery every time they plug their Variax into the Helix!
  17. That's awesome mate thank-you. That's given me a bit more confidence. I've heard horror stories about using 3rd party batteries in the Variax - something to do with mis-matched power management. Do you have a view on that? If the battery the guitar comes with is beyond saving I may need to look to e-bay or amazon for a replacement.
  18. Hi all, I have the opportunity to buy a used JTV59, But it is literally the guitar and battery. If I were to buy a digital interface lead could I use my Helix as the interface to connect to workbench? It's a really risky buy as the guy selling it can't tell me if the Variax side of things works. He thinks it just needs to be reset and calibrated through Workbench. I'd also need to get a 3rd party charger for the battery, but I'm assuming that connecting to Helix will power the guitar - am I correct? Any help would be much appreciated.
  19. I don't think anybody is naive enough to think that you can just take a home patch, turn it up and get the exact sound you want at rehearsal volume. The essence of the post is that faced with a myriad of parameters to play around with are there any quick and easy things to look out for and adjust to get the sound closer to where he needs to be? I guess what I'm trying to say is that I've read that you need to tweak the sound when you play at higher volumes, but what do you tweak? is it EQ? Reducing reverb mix? Less drive? etc. My go to patch has all sorts of stuff going on with it to get the sort of post-punk noise that I like. If I were to take it out to practice/ performance levels, I really wouldn't know where to start. I'm guessing that I would probably begin with the straight amp sound and add effects in one at a time. With a conventional tube amp the tweakable parameters are a lot simpler. Helix is a powerful and versatile unit which brings with it a lot more complexity in fine tuning the sound. The responses here have been a good starter for ten, so many thanks to you all for taking the time to reply. The Sadites videos have been a big help. I think it's a case of him spending time getting to know the Helix. He'll get there in the end!!
  20. I think he's running it into an old Marshall Valvestate 8008. The cab is a Marshall cab. All I know is it has PA speakers - don't know about tweeters. He's using the same rig at home which sounds great, but at volume, totally different.
  21. Hi All, I have a mate who has just joined the Helix club. He is only a week into ownership, but is having trouble using the unit for band practice. I think it's quite a common problem that patches built at home sound great when the volume is relatively low but don't necessarily translate when the volume is higher when you are playing with the rest of the band. He is playing through a Marshall power amp and a cab with PA speakers in both situations, so "relatively" FRFR. Are there any easy tweaks that will get him closer to what he has dialled in at home? Could it be just a case of global settings, or is it that the mix should be turned down on certain effects? or is it that in louder settings he should go for less gain? I feel bad because I have raved on about my Helix and how great it is, and I want him to really get the most out of his. Any help or advise would be much appreciated.
  22. No need to contact support, I think I've found the issue. I'd assumed that it was the headphone socket that was the problem. It's actually the headphone pot. As I don't use headphones that often, the pot must have got gacked up with "guitarist dust and dander". I removed the knob, loosened the nut and gave it a good squirt with contact cleaner and with some vigorous twiddling, it seems to have got it going again. If anone has the same problem, this might be the solution that you are looking for ..... Phew!
  23. One interesting development, I was just tweaking the headphone volume control and noticed that at zero I get sound coming out of the left headphone channel. As I rotate clockwise, the right channel volume increases, but the left channel stays at the same volume. Turn it more clockwise and there is a total imbalance in the stereo signal. I wonder if it could be the volume pot that is faulty or the contacts need cleaning? I'm going to try squirting some contact cleaner in through the top with the hope that it somehow makes it's way down the pot shaft and into the internal wipers.
  24. I've done a factory reset and rebuilt the presets to their factory settings, so nothing to do with multiple amps, or indeed scabs!! ;-)
  25. ..... contact cleaner was my 2nd port of call! A liberal squirt of Servisol Super 10, but still didn't fix it Grrrr!
×
×
  • Create New...