Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Mic'ing Amplifi

ResAlien

I searched, and only found a 1 year old topic related to this, so started a new post...

I am not new to Line 6 products, but am new to AMPLIFi - just purchased an AMPLIFi 150 yesterday.  Last night, I only had time to blow through a few presets and wasn't that impressed - was almost ready to take it back.  But, today, I had more time to build up several tones from a base amp, and ended up really happy with what I was hearing.  (This has always been my experience with modeling amps BTW...I've used just about all of them over the years, and it always seems that the presets really suck, but if you spend a few minutes with the amps, you can get some really good tones out of them - never can understand why the presets are so bad - not really a good representation of what the product is actually capable of...)

Anyway, I will be using this guy live as well as for recording.  I used a Flextone II live for several years with excellent results, and I expect no less from the AMPLIFi.  The one thing that will be different is that I will be mic'ing the amp.  The clubs in my area have really come down on bands playing too loud, which is why I am mothballing my 50W Marshall half stack and sizing down.  This also means lower stage volume, and mic'ing the amp to run through FOH.

Question is how best to mic the AMPLIFi?  Based on what I have been able to find out, the 12" Celestion carries the core, dry guitar tone, and behaves in much the same way as a standard guitar speaker in a standard 1x12 combo.  The 2 midrange/tweeter combos carry the FX, and do not carry the primary guitar tone.

If this is the case (and being that I am hanging on to my pedalboard with actual FX pedals on it), it seems to me that I would be fine to simply mic the 12" Celestion in exactly the same way I would mic any other 1x12 guitar combo.  No, I will not pick up any FX in the patch (except for maybe some bleed through), but if I am using my pedalboard FX, I would likely not have any FX in the AMPLIFi patches anyway, so the reality is, nothing would be coming out of the 2 midrange/tweeter combos anyway.

Does this sound about right, or am I missing something??

Thanks in advance!

RA

Hello ResAlien . That sounds correct to me. If you are using a pedal board for fx and not the fx built into the amp you should hear the pedal board fx through the 12 in. Speaker along with the guitar signal. You can probably verify this just by careful listening. Try a radical sound that is easy to distinguish for your listening test. Something like a Ping pong stereo delay should tell the story for you.

• Upvote 1