Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Vetta Problem - no sound, blank screen

omerta88

Hi guys! I'm new here and this is my first post.

I bought my used Vetta II about a year ago and recently some serious problems occured with it. One day I wanted to jam and turned my amp on. Everything lit up and there was POP sound but after that there was no sound. Everything except that seemed to work. I discovered that my guitar and cable are fine and my built-in tuner doesn't work so I assumed the input was broken.

After that I tried to reinstall firmware but there is a problem with Monkey (or amp). It sees my Vetta but there is no options sush as 'device firmware - flash memory'. There is no such line whatsoever. I've tried on different PC, different versions of Monkey but with the same results.

Finally I reset 'user memory' in the amp and when this didn't help I reset 'factory memory' (or similar) and after that it got worse. Now there is just a blank screen and a POP sound when I turn the amp on.

I've already ordered a battery from ebay but I doubt that it will help.

Is there any possible fixing solution before taking the amp to the repair shop? Do you recommend anyone in London?

cheers,

Derek

Hi guys! I'm new here and this is my first post.

I bought my used Vetta II about a year ago and recently some serious problems occured with it. One day I wanted to jam and turned my amp on. Everything lit up and there was POP sound but after that there was no sound. Everything except that seemed to work. I discovered that my guitar and cable are fine and my built-in tuner doesn't work so I assumed the input was broken.

After that I tried to reinstall firmware but there is a problem with Monkey (or amp). It sees my Vetta but there is no options sush as 'device firmware - flash memory'. There is no such line whatsoever. I've tried on different PC, different versions of Monkey but with the same results.

Finally I reset 'user memory' in the amp and when this didn't help I reset 'factory memory' (or similar) and after that it got worse. Now there is just a blank screen and a POP sound when I turn the amp on.

I've already ordered a battery from ebay but I doubt that it will help.

Is there any possible fixing solution before taking the amp to the repair shop? Do you recommend anyone in London?

cheers,

Derek

Be sure you're using the right MIDI cable. Vetta is very particular in that respect. About the only one that seems to work without trouble is the MAudio cable.

However it sounds as if you could be having some power supply problems so you may need to get an electronics type to crack it open and check out the supply voltages for you. There is a service manual online that can be downloaded if he's lacking the documentation.  

Thanks for reply. I've already quoted like 3 services and they all refused to have a hand in this, so there was no opportunity to pass them the documentation :)

The MIDI cable Roland 'um-one' should be alright, it worked just fine with the Edit. Now I think that maybe the amp is damaged that way it doesn't fully appear on the Monkey screen.

Anyway, I wrote to Line6 official service and waiting for response. Hope they still fix them... ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for reply. I've already quoted like 3 services and they all refused to have a hand in this, so there was no opportunity to pass them the documentation :)

The MIDI cable Roland 'um-one' should be alright, it worked just fine with the Edit. Now I think that maybe the amp is damaged that way it doesn't fully appear on the Monkey screen.

Anyway, I wrote to Line6 official service and waiting for response. Hope they still fix them... ;)

From what I understand Line6 doesn't do anything for the Vetta amps anymore. Total and complete lack of any support whatsoever so we're basically on our own.

However they are not that hard for any truly competent tech with the service manual to diagnose and repair most problems. Most parts failures involve common generic parts instead of the hard to find or unit specific stuff. I think most of the techs in guitar amp shops these days are largely what we used to call tube jockeys and are not truly competent technically so I'd look elsewhere for a good tech. Your problem is likely due to a common power supply failure.   

• 3 weeks later...

From what I understand Line6 doesn't do anything for the Vetta amps anymore. Total and complete lack of any support whatsoever so we're basically on our own.

However they are not that hard for any truly competent tech with the service manual to diagnose and repair most problems. Most parts failures involve common generic parts instead of the hard to find or unit specific stuff. I think most of the techs in guitar amp shops these days are largely what we used to call tube jockeys and are not truly competent technically so I'd look elsewhere for a good tech. Your problem is likely due to a common power supply failure.   

Hi there!

Surprisingly they've answered and acted really quickly to get the amp from me, repair it and send it back.

They've just reinstalled the firmware and charge me £25 for it, so I was really happy on one hand but it's weird I couldn't do it myself through midi and monkey. There was no such option.

Anyway, amp is working now and is for sale for £500 (plus long-board, Midi cable) cos I've already bought Mesa single-rec and I'm very pleased with it ;)

Thanks

That's good news and very good to hear. Did you send it to the US or was the service done in the UK?  

Hi there!

Surprisingly they've answered and acted really quickly to get the amp from me, repair it and send it back.

They've just reinstalled the firmware and charge me £25 for it, so I was really happy on one hand but it's weird I couldn't do it myself through midi and monkey. There was no such option.

Anyway, amp is working now and is for sale for £500 (plus long-board, Midi cable) cos I've already bought Mesa single-rec and I'm very pleased with it ;)

Thanks