Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Small footswitch question

porky_pie

Just got my Helix and loving what I can get out of it!  Need to learn a heck of a lot about...well, everything really.

First question - The footswitch seems to be automatically set to exp 2 for every preset, is there anyway of changing it to be exp 1 globally?  I had a quick look on global settings earlier, but couldn't see anything.

When you go to make a preset, just make sure to remember to toggle it using the toe switch before saving the preset. Also, the toe switch can be difficult to operate, especially if you're using your hand, or it's on a carpeted surface, so don't be afraid to use some force.

As far as I know, there is no global setting for this.

Two other things: if you put a volume block in a preset, it will automatically assign EXP2 to its position parameter, and using a wah block will automatically assign its position parameter to EXP1.

Have fun with your new Helix. There's lots to explore and the learning curve is fairly minimal, but it's easy to get lost in all the options Helix provides. You may find sometimes that when you want to accomplish something, there is often multiple ways to achieve your objective.

Thanks for the reply, the learning curve isn't so much learning how to use the helix, its understanding how all the different tweaks affect each other, and finding solutions to the problems I have.  It's generally "I want xxxx, I know I can get xxxx....but how?"

I've seen in the manual about the automatic assigning of the exp pedals, but I would prefer it to begin with wah as opposed to volume (or possibly so that everything starts at exp 1, not exp 2!)

As an example, I've been trying to build a sound to play The Warmth by Incubus and have an approximation of what's going on, i'm just looking for the most elegant way to set up the footswitches to go from part to part.  Not to mention the modulation tweaking to get it just right...

Took a quick listen to The Warmth. Sounds like there's a lot going on in that song, effectwise. You gave yourself a good challenge. If you haven't already, try and find out what the real equipment the guitarist used is, and how it's set up.

There is a lot going on, I decided to try and replicate it as a good way of learning how the helix works, and what can be done. I'm happy with a lot of what I've got, but it's the depth of flanging about two thirds through I find difficult to replicate.

Most of the music I enjoy isn't as effects heavy - in fact, I'd say the basic ANGL meteor is a godsend for me. It's a glorious sound!

It kind of sounds like for the part I think you mean, starting at 2:50, in addition to flanging, perhaps some whammy, an octave, being mixed in, which could be done with the expression pedal. Also sounds double tracked, which could be simulated fairly well using a dual pitch block.